[Sep 2014] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

[Sep 2014] SA Transport observations

Post by The Phonj »

With two thirds of the year having passed we are now into September. The annual Royal Adelaide Show starts on Friday the 5th; with the usual additional services to the showgrounds - 21W bus from Currie St every 15 minutes and 22W bus from Tea Tree Plaza half hourly. This marks the first year of the full Showground Central station being open - last year platform one was made ready for Show Shuttle trains. This year however; the Show Shuttle trains are much reduced - with passengers being directed to catch regular Seaford and Belair line trains with supplementary trains running during weekday off-peak (hourly) and half hourly at night and all day on weekends.

With the last bus rolling out of the Custom Coaches' assembly line at Royal Park late last month; let us take a moment to consider the many thousands of buses built there over the years, for the MTT, STA, EDSA, TA, AdMet and a myriad of SA private and interstate operators.

Post your observations regarding South Australian transport observations that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread here.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Skexis

Re: [Sep 2014] SA Transport observations

Post by Skexis »

The western side of Burgess Rd in Noarlunga is no longer a bus zone. Prob no longer needed now to be fair.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

All three northbound traffic lanes available again in King William St (northbound) as the work to the Mayfair Hotel (Colonial Mutual Life building) has now progressed far enough.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Re: Southlink destos from a few months ago

I noticed on Thursday that on the 861 desto the route number is still on the right hand side. It's curious because all other SouthLink desto numbers are now displayed on the left.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Re: Southlink destos from a few months ago

I noticed on Thursday that on the 861 desto the route number is still on the right hand side. It's curious because all other SouthLink desto numbers are now displayed on the left.
Is that on one bus in particular or all of them?
oztrucker14

Post by oztrucker14 »

I spotted Mercedes-Benz 0305 #1540 going through 'Junk-Food Corner' at about 17.30 in the old STA livery.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

It's a shame that no extra trains to/from Seaford are put on for the Royal Adelaide Show. Tonight's trains were their pathetic hourly service with a crowded platform and extremely crowded trains running up to 30 minutes late due to extremely heavy loading and unloading. Granted, there were no services on the South Suburban line last year to use as a guide, but surely it should have been foreseen that hundreds of people would catch each service direct from the Showgrounds to the southern suburbs, not head to Adelaide first then back to Seaford. These trains only had 1 wheelchair ramp so the PSA had to go to all 6 doors of the train to assist wheelchairs to alight. The train I was on sat at Oaklands for 7-8 minutes while unloading people. Pathetic.
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

Skexis wrote:

Don't all the Southlink Alcatel\Southports still have the route number of the left?
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Douglas wrote:Don't all the Southlink Alcatel\Southports still have the route number of the left?
Yes but at least one appears to have been missed.
Lt. Commander Data

Skexis wrote:

I saw it on a CR224L, and then I saw a CB80 on the same route and it was on the left (Like normal)
jibb

Post by jibb »

Special Footy Express Bus and Train services will operate before and after the SANFL Grand Final on Sunday week 21st September(similar to AFL Crows/Power games).
A special tram timetable will operate also,incorporating extra services for the City -Bay fun run as well as before and after the Football.This looks like being one of the busiest days of the year for the tramline with a 6 minute frequency from 620 am through to early afternoon,,and 5 minute frequencies after the football.
nscaler69

Post by nscaler69 »

Channel 7 news tonight is having a story about what appears to be a cut and shunt bus, a bus which appears to have had a new roof welded on and all the exposed weld lines, the bus shown in the promo looks like one of L.C.B's ex QLD, Volvo B10M Mk III, Austral Denning 'Metroliner', fleet number 611 or 612. It appears they are saying it's a safety issue.
Anagram: Timetable - bet I'm late
hino rg
Favourite Vehicle: Hino RG 197K m/o 9020

Post by hino rg »

nscaler69 wrote:Channel 7 news tonight is having a story about what appears to be a cut and shunt bus, a bus which appears to have had a new roof welded on and all the exposed weld lines, the bus shown in the promo looks like one of L.C.B's ex QLD, Volvo B10M Mk III, Austral Denning 'Metroliner', fleet number 611 or 612. It appears they are saying it's a safety issue.
You can tell if it is 611 all 612 611 has AC and 612 has jet Air
volvo B10M are the best bus ever made
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Saw an ad for this report on TV, it's 612.
Lt. Commander Data

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... o-accident Route 820 has been detoured via the freeway, that would be an interesting sight to see!
ben610

Post by ben610 »

Have just spotted Southlink CB80 rigid #2401 doing a 228 on King William St
jibb

Post by jibb »

It appears that Transfield(Light-City Buses) is about to open a new depot at Salisbury(presumably for C1/500/501/502 services).
An ad in today's Advertiser for bus drivers mentions vacancies at the 3 existing depots,plus Salisbury.
Obviously must be soon-will be interesting to see its location.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

ben610 wrote:Have just spotted Southlink CB80 rigid #2401 doing a 228 on King William St
2401 has been in service for several months.
Lt. Commander Data

Unfortunately, i have misinformed you all. It seems that all CR224L destos display the number on the far side, as last night I saw this on routes 860F, 840X, 861, and others but on all other buses (CB80, CR228L, CB60 Evo II) it is displayed on the kerbside.
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:

Unfortunately, i have misinformed you all. It seems that all CR224L destos display the number on the far side, as last night I saw this on routes 860F, 840X, 861, and others but on all other buses (CB80, CR228L, CB60 Evo II) it is displayed on the kerbside.
Yes, Southlink haven't updated the Alcatel\Southport destos to match every other bus in service.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
Dave C
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by Dave C »

jibb wrote:It appears that Transfield(Light-City Buses) is about to open a new depot at Salisbury(presumably for C1/500/501/502 services).
An ad in today's Advertiser for bus drivers mentions vacancies at the 3 existing depots,plus Salisbury.
Obviously must be soon-will be interesting to see its location.
Near the Bridgestone site.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Thanks Dave-is that somewhere near Frost and Cross Keys Road? Any idea when it is due to open or its size?
jibb

Post by jibb »

Looks like all the TT MAN SL200's(ex Melbourne Bus Link) have now all been withdrawn.
jibb

Post by jibb »

3 new(unregistered) Scania CB 80's(last 3 from CC Royal Park) sitting at Scania ,presumably awaiting to be delivered to ?
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

jibb wrote:Thanks Dave-is that somewhere near Frost and Cross Keys Road? Any idea when it is due to open or its size?
As a full time worker in the the area of that suggested suburb....I can suggest only one location (with no amenities currently) would suit along frost road in 'Salisbury' which I believe is council parcel of land (ex Bridgestone Car park). Would be suitable if there weren't residents across the road. The other (eastern) side of frost road is either Brahma Lodge or Salisbury South.... Most of which can service truck sized vehicles from Cross Keys road all day, however after the massive spoon drain damage repairs to low fronted vehicles on the inclines; width of streets would also be too narrow most times for buses and other traffic with parked vehicles and two directions of traffic flow.
Perhaps Stanbel Road may be a look in (Salisbury Plains)... Few empty lots around that area... Ex council depot over that way too..

Just going off the report of the advert for vacancy etc Salisbury... Not many locations that seem obvious within the suburb. Not sure if the ex buses r us yard is currently leased out still?
Last edited by thedom on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”