Storage of Withdrawn TSA Buses

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Project6029

Storage of Withdrawn TSA Buses

Post by Project6029 »

A question for those in the know, as old Adelaide buses are withdrawn, where are they stored pending sale/disposal?

Looking at the fleet lists (although I realise that its just about impossible to follow up for every bus), it almost seems that there should still be a plethora of SL200's, SG280's and O305's hiding around the place but there is nothing about it on these forums.

Are they just quietly being razed in the background when they dont sell after public tender, or is there a big repository of buses somewhere?

Its kind of like once they are withdrawn they essentially just disappear into the aether.

Would be curious to know!
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Re: Storage of Withdrawn TSA Buses

Post by busrider »

Most of the SL200s have been sold off, a few are still at bus depots (go past Port Adelaide depot and see what I mean), some of the Mercs are still at Elizabeth depot, and a number of them are in a TSA yard behind Morphettville depot... Same goes for the retired SGs, they're at depots and the TSA yard too.
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Post by LowRider »

Slight correction. All of the SL200s have been sold off. TSA does not own any more SL200s. Intact for some inexplicable reason Torrens Transit bought all of their SL200s.
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

It tkes a while for those who are active to track down buses as they are dispossed of, most are by lucky sightings. Then someone has to provide the info who keep our fleet list info as up to date as possible.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
marshall
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58

Post by marshall »

Is there any of the former Mercedes used on the O bahn likely to be preserved?
Heardy_101
Favourite Vehicle: 2000 Class Railcar (Jumbo)

Post by Heardy_101 »

Unlikely unless someone goes out of their way to buy one.
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

South Australian Regional Rail Alliance
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance
retiredbendy
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 0305/G, MAN SG
Location: Any suburb around Adelaide were there are lots of Admet vehicles!

Post by retiredbendy »

#1942 and #1945 are the only MAN SG's at the TSA Yard behind Morphettville Depot.

And what does TSA stand for?

Cheers,
retiredbendy
Bring back the 'Old Articulated' buses in 2013 for the Rail Subs!
jibb

Post by jibb »

Transport S.A.
Whyalla
Favourite Vehicle: the MERCEDES-BENZ O305

Post by Whyalla »

retiredbendy wrote:#1942 and #1945 are the only MAN SG's at the TSA Yard behind Morphettville Depot.

Cheers,
retiredbendy
It could also stand for Transit Systems Australia.
LowRider

Post by LowRider »

Whyalla wrote:
retiredbendy wrote:#1942 and #1945 are the only MAN SG's at the TSA Yard behind Morphettville Depot.

Cheers,
retiredbendy
It could also stand for Transit Systems Australia.
But it doesn't. Its Transport SA. Its an antiquated term, should just be the DPTI yard now.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

busrider wrote:Most of the SL200s have been sold off, a few are still at bus depots (go past Port Adelaide depot and see what I mean), some of the Mercs are still at Elizabeth depot, and a number of them are in a TSA yard behind Morphettville depot... Same goes for the retired SGs, they're at depots and the TSA yard too.
And how do they actually sell them?

Here with the STA, you lodge a tender - and you can access this via their website
Private companies, either approach them direct or via a dealer (sometimes they're even on ebay)

yet for adelaide, I can't find anything!
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
retiredbendy
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 0305/G, MAN SG
Location: Any suburb around Adelaide were there are lots of Admet vehicles!

Post by retiredbendy »

LowRider wrote:Slight correction. All of the SL200s have been sold off. TSA does not own any more SL200s. Intact for some inexplicable reason Torrens Transit bought all of their SL200s.
Are 137 and 140 still at Torrens Transit, Port Adelaide?
Bring back the 'Old Articulated' buses in 2013 for the Rail Subs!
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

last time I went past, they were; although 140 appeared to be missing a couple of parts.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Post by jibb »

Sighted MAN SL200 139 yesterday on Sturt Road Marion-looked like it was doing a charter as it had kids and adults on it.
Last time I saw this bus was recently neat the fence at Mile End depot!
LowRider

Post by LowRider »

Simes - In Adelaide a Tender is released on the Tender SA website, and you lodge a tender from there. However it gets a bit tricky after that to get them. SL200's as far as Government ownership is concerned are all gone. Torrens Transit purchased all of theirs from them and the remainders have been tendered out.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

How about the Mercs?
I tried looking on the tenders SA site with no luck (could not seem to see any closed tenders either)
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Mercs (and MAN SG280H's) are still required for upcoming train substitute services, and those buses which are not require for active service have been retained for use as parts donors to those which are. Once train substitutes finish; I expect a relative flood of ex-Adelaide buses to enter the second-hand market.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
LowRider

Post by LowRider »

There has already been a tender for Mercs, 2 rigids and 1 artic I believe. Phonj is right though, all remaining Mercs are being kept for parts to keep the rest of the fleet running and same with MAN artics too. They will all be very, very past their used by date by the time the Government is done with them.
Volvo B12B Driver
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLE

Post by Volvo B12B Driver »

It is interesting that a few of mercs at Morphettville Depot in the TSA yard still have Guide Wheels attached to them.
Willie
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0405NH

Post by Willie »

Because they are TSA owned and effectively redundant it doesn't matter, when returned to TSA they were to returned in the condition they were handed over in, so the guide wheels remain on.
runawaybus

Post by runawaybus »

A lot of ex O-BahnCard Mercs are at the back of south link Elizabeth depot and look like ready for rail replacement services. But the question remains what buses they will actually use?
Definition of Commuter Consultation or even Community Consultation: "We've made up our minds don't confuse us with the facts".
jibb

Post by jibb »

There are also quite a few at the rear of Morphettville Depot(viewed on near map).
One would assume that these Mercedes Rigids and Artics would be made serviceable along with any spare MAN Artics hanging around Southlink and TT depots.
At this stage there doesn't appear to be any other spare buses anywhere,and the release of new Scanias seems to have almost stopped!
ps what is an OBahn card Merc bus?
witsend
Favourite Vehicle: Dunns Daewoo CS120 No. 31

Post by witsend »

My bet is all of them, and then some :) If it is lying round and serviceable, it will be utilized on the train subs.

GIven that they used the almost entire merc fleet to cover the Noarlunga Line between Oaklands and Noarlunga, how much are they going to stretch it to cover the Belair Line as well as running all the way to the City, and including the Tonsley.

I should remark, that with school holidays quite a number of the normal fleet will be pressed into service for train subs, but when school goes back in the first week (last week of the ARS closure) it will be fascinating watching. You can see the rostering clerks trying to roster the buses during that period with the absolute minimum they can get on their normal services to free up the fleet for the train subs. I know there are some good people working behind the scenes for this. Personally, I'd love to have the resources and the time to help solve the puzzle.

I'm thinking the Tonsley Sub may be replaced with some additional W90C services, as I'm reasonably sure that there will be people that won't want to transfer from one sub bus to another, unless necessary. The W90/W91 Go-Zone would cover Clarence Park, and Goodwood better than trying to detour the subs through. I guess it's working out who needs to go where though.

Long shot, I'm wondering if the LH Lane along Anzac Highway is about to become a peak hour bus lane between the city and Morphett Rd?
Regards,

Samuel Wittwer
Posts may not be supported or endorsed by any group that I'm associated with, and normally are my own personal view.
jibb

Post by jibb »

witsend wrote:My bet is all of them, and then some :) If it is lying round and serviceable, it will be utilized on the train subs.

GIven that they used the almost entire merc fleet to cover the Noarlunga Line between Oaklands and Noarlunga, how much are they going to stretch it to cover the Belair Line as well as running all the way to the City, and including the Tonsley.

I should remark, that with school holidays quite a number of the normal fleet will be pressed into service for train subs, but when school goes back in the first week (last week of the ARS closure) it will be fascinating watching. You can see the rostering clerks trying to roster the buses during that period with the absolute minimum they can get on their normal services to free up the fleet for the train subs. I know there are some good people working behind the scenes for this. Personally, I'd love to have the resources and the time to help solve the puzzle.

I'm thinking the Tonsley Sub may be replaced with some additional W90C services, as I'm reasonably sure that there will be people that won't want to transfer from one sub bus to another, unless necessary. The W90/W91 Go-Zone would cover Clarence Park, and Goodwood better than trying to detour the subs through. I guess it's working out who needs to go where though.

Long shot, I'm wondering if the LH Lane along Anzac Highway is about to become a peak hour bus lane between the city and Morphett Rd?
Brighton Road is an absolute nightmare in the morning and evening weekday peaks and with extra buses that may/will run express to Brighton Station/Hallett Cove Station,it will be extremely slow once the bus subs start.
beldin

Post by beldin »

witsend wrote:My bet is all of them, and then some :) If it is lying round and serviceable, it will be utilized on the train subs.
For sure, there's a number of the old retired MAN artic sitting at the back of Elizabeth in amongst the Mercs for example.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”