29 JAN 2011 - ADELAIDE HILLS RAILWAY HISTORY TOUR

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

29 JAN 2011 - ADELAIDE HILLS RAILWAY HISTORY TOUR

Post by The Mayor »

I am putting the wheels into motion for organising the long awaited Southern History Tour which will be in the school holidays, in mid to late January 2011, exact date yet to be confirmed.

I know the weather will probably be hot but I will use and airconditioned bus again for this tour. This is about the only time of the year I can squeeze a tour in as I do not have Scout committments in school holidays.

Some of the things we will be doing on this tour include:
Willunga Line (there is a small section of track remaining). Various places and discussions about it's history.
Former Route 881 through Flagstaff Hill and Aberfoyle Park.
Goodwood Road Subway.
Showgrounds Railway.
Plus other great photo opportunities and maybe a video run.

Keep an eye out on this thread for the exact date and further updates.
:D
Last edited by The Mayor on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
DanC
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Titan (B15)

Re: 2011 - SOUTHERN SUBURBS TOUR

Post by DanC »

Sounds great Stephen!!!! I will be looking forward to this one. :D Any chance of adding in the progressive work of the Seaford rail extension and the new Train stations at Hallet Cove. To be honest I have only ventured South of Darlington about 10 or so times and to only drive to Victor and back via Strathalbyn. I'd gather because of South's hilly terrain, buses have a very good rep down there!

I am loving how you include visits of infrastructure in your tours as well! As I enjoy that as much as the buses and the routing as well!

Dan.
Proud Volunteer at the National Motor Museum at Birdwood Mill.
Proud Member of the Bentley Car Club (SA Inc.)
EX PTC & PTB
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.280 HOCL-NL

Re: 2011 - SOUTHERN SUBURBS TOUR

Post by EX PTC & PTB »

Well Steve, pencil me in as well. I'll send you a PM when you want one to confirm numbers. You have mentioned an air-conditioned bus any idea yet which one you are considering? Perhaps 2746 or 2510/2511 or one of Lonsdale's K230's ??? I hope you bring some of your photo collection to sell as well. Looking forward to yet another well organised tour and all round fun day :D
Wait, we can't stop here..........This Is Bat Country!

My Avatar MAN SL200 2452 on The Mayors History Tour.
The Mayor

Re: 2011 - SOUTHERN SUBURBS or ADELAIDE HILLS TOUR

Post by The Mayor »

I have been thinking of altering the 2011 Tour to be a tour of the Adelaide Hills.

There are some bus things to see but also a myriad of railway infrastructure from years gone by. I could possibly get us as far as Murray Bridge.

Places like this to see would include: Murray Bridge Station; Balhannah Station; Aldgate Station; Former Route 821 via Swamp Road (Piccadilly); Former Bradbury Terminus; sections of former Mount Pleasant Line and possibly some photo shoots near the odd tunnel or two and hopefully timed to co-incide with a freight movement.

What does everyone think? Southern suburbs or Adelaide Hills tour?

Let me know and I will go with whatever is most popular.
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
SL200- 1880
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL202, M.A.N SG280H

Post by SL200- 1880 »

I recon the sdelaide hills tour. As you said, theres a lot of old stations etc in there. But what bus would we use for it>
Loves the sounds of a roaring SL200 in motion:D
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

2510/2511, Volgren bodied Scania, just perfect for a hills tour...
EX PTC & PTB

Post by EX PTC & PTB »

Steve, I think that a Adelaide Hills tour would be good, I think this discussion was had on one of your previous tour's and most agreed as it hadn't been done before that it would make for a great day! So I am putting my vote for the Adelaide Hills tour. As for the bus...2746 would be nice.

The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

the only tour in recent years in the Adelaide Hilss has been a Transit First tour and a farwell Volvo tour so yes a hills history tour is a good idea as there were a few private operators that could be somehow included in this tour
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Whilst it would good to ride around in other companies buses, changing buses considerably takes time away from visiting places. Also, apart from TransitPlus I doubt weather Southlink will allow their vehicle to be parked in a foreign company depot.

My aim with these tours is to see as much as possible, but a possible change with a TransitPlus vehicle is an option.
:wink:
EX PTC & PTB

Post by EX PTC & PTB »

The Mayor wrote:

My aim with these tours is to see as much as possible, but a possible change with a TransitPlus vehicle is an option.
I like the sound of that Steve!!!! :D

The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

The Mayor wrote:Also, apart from TransitPlus I doubt weather Southlink will allow their vehicle to be parked in a foreign company depot.
On two separate occasions I have seen SouthLink buses parked in Torrens Transit depots. Problem is; with (virtually) all vehicles being "the same" you don't notice anything is really out of place until such time as one closely studies the fleet number and realises "Hang on, that's not one of ours!"
The Mayor wrote:My aim with these tours is to see as much as possible, but a possible change with a TransitPlus vehicle is an option.
Now we're talking! Make it something interesting (like a Fuji bodied Volvo artic) and you've got my vote for a Hills tour! :)
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Willie
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0405NH

Post by Willie »

SouthLink buses have visited TP and LinkSA depots before and vice versa its a non issue.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

And theres often a LinkSA bus in TP Mount Barker Depot
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Willie wrote:SouthLink buses have visited TP and LinkSA depots before and vice versa its a non issue.
These depot's would not be an issue as they are all ATE depot's. The problem would be if I wanted to leave the vehicle in 'Fred Blog's Bus Service' Depot. Using other vehicles will also add to the cost unless I find a driver from these depot's willing to donate their time. I always try to keep the costs to a minimum.
Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

I would visit for either but the Hills sounds great, so make that Hills first choice for me.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Emm Kay Vee wrote:
The Inspector wrote:the only tour in recent years in the Adelaide Hilss has been a Transit First tour and a farwell Volvo tour so yes a hills history tour is a good idea as there were a few private operators that could be somehow included in this tour

Check your state Inspector!

OMG, slap me silly :oops:

I was thinking Transit Plus but only god knows why i wrote Transit First, I will now go and beg for forgivness for this shameful stuff up :twisted:
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Buscrazy
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.280 HOCL NL

Post by Buscrazy »

Im loving the sound of an Adelaide Hills tour!

2746, the Orange Desto 18.280 would be awesome for the tour Steve! Something different, rather than a scania or volvo or Merc!!! :D
If it isn't safe, don't do it!

Im Develicious

I Love You <3 <3 <3
Buscrazy

Post by Buscrazy »

Speaking of foreign busses in other depots, i have personally seen, and been in a SouthLink Scania K230UB in Torrens Transt St Agnes Depot!!

Im Develicious

I Love You <3 <3 <3
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Buscrazy wrote:Speaking of foreign busses in other depots, i have personally seen, and been in a SouthLink Scania K230UB in Torrens Transt St Agnes Depot!!
I think that's cheating! Assuming you mean one of the now transferred 1480/1490 series!
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

The plan is starting to come together.

This part is definate so far: Pick up will be Franklin Street outside the bus station then it will be shotgun ride to Murray Bridge. Effectively we will then wend our way back to Bridgewater via the railway line stopping for photo's etc at former railway stations / sidings etce such as Mannum Road )Murray Bridge); Callington; Monarto South; Balyarta; Nairne; Littlehampton; Mount Barker Junction; Balhannah.

Once back in AdelaideMetro territory we will visit some former bus terminii in the Adelaide Hills like Bradbury, Longwood and a run along former Route 821 via Swamp Road, Piccadilly.

I would like to visit the site of Upper Sturt Station, however it is a little difficult to get a bus to the site, but I am still working on it. This site is an excellent photo opportunity if timed for when a train is due because there is a tunnel that they emerge from, would make a great shot.

More details later.

Remember, at present please do not book yet. I will call for bookings probably in early November. Because of the distance involved the cost of this tour may be slightly more than previous tours, but all the details of cost, exact date, timetable will be revealed all at the same time. I will also be asking for a small deposit to be paid as the last tour just covered my costs due to people saying they will come then being no shows.

I do not run these to make a profit, only to cover the costs of putting things together. As you would appreciate my families finances are extremely tight and we do not need any unnecessary expenses. My wife has provided great support to me in providing these tours, providing they cost us nothing. I would hate for them to cease, because I love providing them for you.
ScaniaK124EB
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M/Scania K124EB

Post by ScaniaK124EB »

@steve If you have a Chat To Transitplus Namely the Charter Bloke you may be able to drive one of their buses
You Would be able to Get a Hold of 260 306 or a fuji all of the aformentioned buses will be going soon
306 is a real beauty on the freeway goes like a rocket. and 260 no longer does metro work is confined to charters
and the fujis 303 304 etc. are supposed to be scrapped soon. i told the phonj about that recently and said that a tour involving one of these would be great
This Is The Southern Service To Bognor Regis Calling At Clapham Junction East Croydon And Gatwick Airport Where The Train Will Fly Off The Rails
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

I would love to go on the History Tour as I am interested in the railway around the Adelaide Hills area, I suggest if it is more to do with the sites rather than the bus itself the Transitplus Scania Volgren Articulated Bus or one of the Scania 2 axle buses would be ideal for the weather during the Summer. My child inside me wishes for a MAN Articulated bus though. :)
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Buscrazy

Post by Buscrazy »

Eagle Eye wrote:
Buscrazy wrote:Speaking of foreign busses in other depots, i have personally seen, and been in a SouthLink Scania K230UB in Torrens Transt St Agnes Depot!!
I think that's cheating! Assuming you mean one of the now transferred 1480/1490 series!

Negative. It was a NUMBERED 25xx K230 on the F tracks in the bottom yard.

Im Develicious

I Love You <3 <3 <3
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

This tour is starting to take shape and it will fundamentally be a Hills railway historical extravaganza, commencing in Murray Bridge.

At this stage I envisage commencing at Flinders Street bus station then running EXPRESS to Murray Bridge and then working our way back via some old railway stations and railway lines. We will also have a touch of bus history as we get closer to Adelaide but the feel of this tour will be rail.

I will endeavour to time some of the photo stops at the same time as the passage of a freight / passenger service etc etc.

The cost of this tour is yet to be determined but it will be a little higher than normal due to the distance travelled.

I already have in the planning stages a Mid North rail history tour going as far a field at Kapunda, Hamley Bridge and possibly Balaklava!!
DanC
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Titan (B15)

Post by DanC »

The Mayor wrote:This tour is starting to take shape and it will fundamentally be a Hills railway historical extravaganza, commencing in Murray Bridge.

At this stage I envisage commencing at Flinders Street bus station then running EXPRESS to Murray Bridge and then working our way back via some old railway stations and railway lines. We will also have a touch of bus history as we get closer to Adelaide but the feel of this tour will be rail.

I will endeavour to time some of the photo stops at the same time as the passage of a freight / passenger service etc etc.

The cost of this tour is yet to be determined but it will be a little higher than normal due to the distance travelled.

I already have in the planning stages a Mid North rail history tour going as far a field at Kapunda, Hamley Bridge and possibly Balaklava!!

:P Sounds like a fantastic idea!!!! Both the Hills and the Mid North for an infrastructure junkie such as myself! You deserve to make a living out of these tours. Was there one down South as well??

Dan.
Proud Volunteer at the National Motor Museum at Birdwood Mill.
Proud Member of the Bentley Car Club (SA Inc.)

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”