The Random Admet Question Thread

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Eagle Eye

Re: The Random Admet Question Thread

Post by Eagle Eye »

Former driver37 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:02 pm Yeah some would be there but can't see the ones doing woodcroft college school run or the goolwa/ victor to Adelaide run that leaves colonnades to Goolwa around 7 am come from Pooraka so there must be a depot somewhere down south for them
Mount Barker or Aldgate?
Lieselta

Post by Lieselta »

Anyone aware of if there is a timeline to reopen the front/gunzel seats on buses to passengers? I'm guessing it will be after social distancing requirements are removed.
miss coffee (on buses) addiction
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128620068@N04/
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I would suspect that it will never happen, or at least not for about 5 years.
Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: My94NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

Lieselta wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 pm Anyone aware of if there is a timeline to reopen the front/gunzel seats on buses to passengers? I'm guessing it will be after social distancing requirements are removed.
TA3001 could be right but I'm guessing December 2021.
If you want to talk to bus drivers maybe talk to them when it's a quiet shift or on a break, with me they just start talking whether I like it or not.
T3331
Favourite Vehicle: 3331

Post by T3331 »

I'm not a local down this way but are all the varients of the route 750 really nessercary?
Former driver37

Post by Former driver37 »

I was travelling along the northern expressway tonight and just before the waterloo cnr turn off there was a heap of ex admet MAN buses parked there in storage who owns that yard and does anyone know why they parked there and not off to Sims?
Nick
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O305G , PMCSA

Post by Nick »

Former driver37 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 pm I was travelling along the northern expressway tonight and just before the waterloo cnr turn off there was a heap of ex admet MAN buses parked there in storage who owns that yard and does anyone know why they parked there and not off to Sims?
Maybe they are privately Owned now???
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

In line with the attempt in the 2000s to reduce patronage by having trains run express from Dry Creek to Adelaide on weekends at hourly intervals, I was thinking that maybe every second 150 on weekends could run express to and from stop 25 Port Rd to the city (and reverse), from first service to about 7PM.

I'm not sure if this would have a particularly negative effect on patronage. But it would certainly indicate that the current party in office just don't give a toss about PT in general.
hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

TA3001 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:17 am In line with the attempt in the 2000s to reduce patronage by having trains run express from Dry Creek to Adelaide on weekends at hourly intervals, I was thinking that maybe every second 150 on weekends could run express to and from stop 25 Port Rd to the city (and reverse), from first service to about 7PM.

I'm not sure if this would have a particularly negative effect on patronage. But it would certainly indicate that the current party in office just don't give a toss about PT in general.
This history to this pattern on the Gawler line was trains were hourly on weekends until the early 2000's - the 30 min weekend frequency was then implemented and the traditional :50 past the hour train ex-Adelaide remained an all stopper (excl. North Adelaide) and then the new :23 past the hour train was express to Dry Creek (reflecting the then weekday stopping pattern of Gawler Central trains running express to Dry Creek). A saving of a few minutes was welcomed by those travelling from the further out suburbs.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

It's incredibly stupid and selfish of the transport department. I don't know why the current train subs don't run express between Cavan and the CBD on weekends. Admittedly the trips are a little quicker. But it's still a prehistoric practise just to save 5 minutes.

And what if a passenger wants to alight between Dry Creek and Adelaide when in a hurry?

There is no justification for it whatsoever. Only in SA....
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

It's entirely possible that once electrification is complete, a new Gawler line timetable will be implemented.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

It's not uncommon, on longer lines, to see services from afar run express through some inner suburbs, although, traditionally in this case, there would be a shorter all-stops service or one coming from another line, (e.g. Grange trains to allow Outer Harbors to run express from Woodville) at certain times.

The former Noarlunga line used to run every second train express from Woodlands Park on weekends, and all trains ran express from Goodwood* on weekends, but that changed and now all weekend Seaford trains stop at all stations.

* Belair line trains, which were hourly at the time, serviced the former Keswick Station, but no trains serviced Mile End at night or weekends. As we know now, all trains service both Adelaide Showground and Mile End on weekends, and at half hourly frequencies on each line.
Admet75

Post by Admet75 »

This timetable is okay because it operates more frequent services but later services at night would be beneficial for shift workers at the Hospital. The early morning services arriving at Flinders before 7am, 7 days a week is quite unusual for Adelaide given it is a branch line and lets hope Hospital Workers make good use of it.

Also, hopefully that the Flinders Loop (operated currently by Adelaide Coachlines) continues to run and timetable coodinate with the rail services as well as other Admet Services it is quite a long walk- 700 metres uphill from Flinders Station to Flinders Medical Centre and longer for the Flinders Uni Precinct. Apparently journey times are: 22 minutes in the peak and 24 minutes at other times. Noting every second Seaford train stops all stations from Woodlands Park to the City and vice versa. The ones that operate express from Woodlands Park get into the city 9 minutes quicker but on weekend all Seaford trains are express to Woodlands Park. Oh well i guess they cannot go back to prior to 2009 when trains operated express to Oaklands and then express to Brighton and then all stops to Noarlunga Centre. The Brighton and Tonsley services provided the All stopper milk runs.

The future looks somewhat promising with a Transit Oriented Development proposed by the Flinders Uni I think its touted as a billion dollar development.

However, the downside is that the Liberal's have said all these better Flinders Services are a result of outsourcing the train services- which is simply not true these proposed frequencies were proposed by a previous government when it was assumed it would be government operated.

Oh well the next line that will be improved is Gawler which they are proposing more frequent and faster services. Noting the only way they work out faster for Gawler services is that the EMU's have a much faster acceleration (metres/second) that the Diesel Electrics. As for improved frequencies this can only be done if they either close the inner northern stations (sort of near Go-Zone Churchill Road services and Suburban Connector- Islington Station- well Dry Creek did have a bus service the extension of the 235 or 236 from the Kilburn Churchill Road Terminus)

In Perth there is three main ingredients that make there services fast, well patronized:
1. Stations are presented modern and clean
2. Successsful Bus Feeder services
3. The station spacing between stations is quite high especially on the Mandurah and Clarskon lines (North).

These are my thoughts what do you think?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Post by Merc1107 »

Admet75 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 pm In Perth there is three main ingredients that make there services fast, well patronized:
3. The station spacing between stations is quite high especially on the Mandurah and Clarskon lines (North).
As a Perth resident, I do feel the need to jump in with my 2¢.

Stations are clean, yes. In saying this, in most cases they are extremely utilitarian, without much protection from the harsh elements (sun, wind, rain) which are endemic to any Australian city. They're certainly not nice places to wait for a service for any considerable amount of time. I'm not sure if this negatively affects patronage or not, but it doesn't help the passenger's perception of the service. It often seems to be the case that the minute two drops of rain fall on Perth, everyone finds a car and goes home that way, instead.

Yes, the feeders are generally good at this purpose alone. In many outer-suburban areas, they are the only bus service the residents can ever hope of having. In saying that, though, even much closer to the city, there's still this ludicrous idea of shoving everyone onto the train at the closest train station. This completely disregards all the other types of journeys people might use the bus for - shopping, travel across town and so on, and instead assumes everyone wants to go onto a train.
As an example, one of our newest train stations, Aubin Grove (on the Mandurah Line) resulted in the local feeder buses being split in two; with services from Aubin Grove to Hammond Park (or Wandi) now ridiculously short 5-10min runs. The next station north, Cockburn Central, is home to one of the south's largest shopping centres. For a resident in the aforementioned areas to reach the shops, they must take either two buses (with a 10-15min gap between runs), or a bus, train and another bus. Prior to the split, the journey would've taken 15mins at most, with no need for multiple mode-changes. Such an operational regime is hardly conducive to encouraging public transport use, and guess what? Outside of peak, those short feeders are seldom-used.

I should make it clear I am not against mode-changes or feeder buses (as they are a part of Perth's success in providing good public transport), but they are not the be-all and end-all of getting people to where they're going, as the above example illustrates.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Admet75 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 pm Oh well the next line that will be improved is Gawler which they are proposing more frequent and faster services. Noting the only way they work out faster for Gawler services is that the EMU's have a much faster acceleration (metres/second) that the Diesel Electrics. As for improved frequencies this can only be done if they either close the inner northern stations (sort of near Go-Zone Churchill Road services and Suburban Connector- Islington Station- well Dry Creek did have a bus service the extension of the 235 or 236 from the Kilburn Churchill Road Terminus)

In Perth there is three main ingredients that make there services fast, well patronized:

These are my thoughts what do you think?
Have you not taken into account that there are no regular bus services to Dry Creek? It is absurd that the services run express from Dry Creek on weekends just to keep a few northerners happy. If there are feeder services to Dry Creek, then other services will be cut to pay for the kilometres.

What's cheaper? Paying a driver over $35 an hour at times to run a near empty shuttle service, or simply using common sense and having the trains stop at these stations? Driver safety may also be something to consider whilst waiting at a lonely stop in an industrial area at night.

Do you think that those who board or alight at Islington would like this?

Following this logic, all stations between Woodville and Adelaide on the Outer Harbor line, and also Mile End and the showgrounds station (really just Wayville) plus Goodwood would be closed due to the bus services along Port Rd.

It doesn't matter about those who wish to change trains at Goodwood, as by this logic, 100% of passengers go to the city, which wouldn't be the case. I am by no means having a go at you. But there are a lot of factors to consider before encouraging an already poor service to become even worse.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224L

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

I’d be interested to see the patronage for Dry Creek station on weekends and nights considering it is in a primarily industrial area.

Kilburn station is not central to the suburb, unlike Churchill Rd - again I’d be interested to see patronage from both

Mile End station is a waste of time for southern trains - if you’re coming from anywhere in the city other than North Tce, it’s quicker to walk there than get a train. Mainly a few school kids use it and that’s it - would be beneficial for everyone if trains only stopped there at school times (much like they have done in the past)
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868

Member of the:
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Regarding Mile End, the infrastructure is intact and usable. Why let it rot away whilst being unused? The Overland is on borrowed time (when the border restrictions ease enough to enable it to be ran again). Even if there are just a tiny handful of commuters that use it, it is still not a waste of money to retain it.

It is also convenient for transfers to Henley Beach Rd bus services. Maybe you should take note of the actual numbers, and see for yourself. It obviously has high enough patronage levels to be retained. The main problem with it is that 4 platforms need to be kept in a passenger friendly state instead of just one island platform.
aussiewirraway

Post by aussiewirraway »

I was wondering that according to the link below Admet is supposed to get (Another?) Hybrid bus for trial. Is this still happening and will it just be a VST with some batteries or something?

https://www.australianmanufacturing.com ... line-in-sa
jibb

Post by jibb »

That still is the plan.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”