SEQ bus network review

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

BestFriendHasLeprosy
Favourite Vehicle: LCBS Bustech

SEQ bus network review

Post by BestFriendHasLeprosy »

As per announcements in July, TransLink will be reviewing their bus network - and now in September they've finally started!

To get involved, submit a online Service Review form. These will be available to do on the TransLink website between 10/09/12 and 23/09/12.

They say they want to hear from people about the routes they use. Good to see they want an actual passengers opinion, rather than just looking at it from the books having never actually used it.

They've listed the key objectives as:
  • • Eliminating service duplication
    • Managing the infrastructure capacity (e.g. Cultural Centre busway station congestion)
    • Getting more people on public transport by simplifying the network
    • Getting better connectivity between services and modes
    • Redirecting resources to routes where there is overcrowding
    • Offering Demand Responsive Transport options where appropriate (such as taxis, flexibus services, para transit options etc).
http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-infor ... 1346370543
daveeyh

Re: SEQ bus network review

Post by daveeyh »

TransLink staff have been handing out flyers at various locations this week.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Instead of having a set definition of what a BUZ is and its running times, how about specifically implementing more suitable times on a route like the 330 - where more peak bus services are available, and less frequent services later at night. Heaps of 330's carrying nothing but oxygen, but morning services are packed every working day.

Look at pax numbers from the operator over a sustained period, perhaps 3 months, to see patronage levels and cut and change when necessary.
V761
Favourite Vehicle: Dennings with Pussies in them.

Post by V761 »

Every second 330 coming home in the PM peak is empty by the time it passes my place. You have to remember though Bracken Ridge is "end of the line" plenty of people alight or board further along as it's the only useful bus route between Bracken Ridge and Chermside on the Handford Rd corridor.
V761 - The first BT scania I caught.

Down with ' !'

OHMAIGAWDZ00R!!1!11! A T BUS WOZ ON TEH 598!!11!11!!1!!!!1!!11
simonl

Post by simonl »

Hornibrook wrote:Instead of having a set definition of what a BUZ is and its running times, how about specifically implementing more suitable times on a route like the 330 - where more peak bus services are available, and less frequent services later at night. Heaps of 330's carrying nothing but oxygen, but morning services are packed every working day.

Look at pax numbers from the operator over a sustained period, perhaps 3 months, to see patronage levels and cut and change when necessary.
Nothing prevents them running a BUZ more frequently than 10 minutes in peak, e.g. PM 200 & 130.

Don't people use the 331 in the AM, or are you saying that is packed too?
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

I just completed the online form and I could hardly call it a review as you are asked to nominate your most frequently used route and answer the same dumb questions from previous reviews - where you get on, where you get off, what time you travel.

There are no specific questions like "Does the service meet your needs?", "What improvements would you like to see?", "Are there bottlenecks on the route that need adjusting?" and "How could we make your travel easier?".

I don't think they are really interested in improving the network.

There is nowhere to leave any contact details so that the Review Team can get further details, if required.

Maybe I am being overly negative, but I think there are many people on this forum who have a lot to offer in terms of reviewing the bus network in SEQ but a SurveyMonkey questionnaire really does not provide enough ability for qualitative feedback on the bus network.
BestFriendHasLeprosy

It is rather lacking. There is a section at the end to put in other details, and for the two I've done (555 and 576), I just wrote them a few paragraphs outlining how the routes are performing and what needs to be changed.

It would be nice if there was a way to provide more detailed and specific feedback, but in a way that casual users don't have to spend hours doing it.
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Post by Two-Way »

Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.
Cab
Favourite Vehicle: buses :P

Post by Cab »

If they manage this network review well we could just see alot more PT coverage in Queensland :D
Another post by Cab.
daveeyh

Post by daveeyh »

Cab wrote:If they manage this network review well we could just see alot more PT coverage in Queensland :D
Couldn't agree more. However, they need a feedback mechanism for people to provide that sort of information rather than restricting the survey to the service that a person is currently using.
Cab

Post by Cab »

Translink staff at Morayfield Shops mentioned to me that many passengers & non-passengers have been asking for a bus services to Jensen Rd

Most saying to them it is beyond a joke now :roll:
Another post by Cab.
Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

There is a box to put comments toward the end. You can type in any info there, I did.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
BestFriendHasLeprosy

Yeah, it you want a new route, just choose the one that's closest, and add in details of the one you think should be added at the end.
Cab

Post by Cab »

They mentioned cutting the 652 services back in the news :o

:idea: Perhaps instead of cutting it back alter zone 8/9 to cut across and start from Peel Rd/Bribie Island Rd then cut down in a South West direction to King John Creek then folloe the Caboolture river to Moreton Bay :?:

This would make people catching buses in Beachmere pay a little extra for the service's they get but not lose any service's :?

Im sure the passengers in Beachmere would take this option over lossing any services they get :)
Another post by Cab.
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Post by Two-Way »

I dont agree with any service cuts at all to areas where there is no other alternative. Beachmere falls into this catergory. Public transport is a frontline service, just like police, fire and ambulance. So what if a bus only runs half full - its a service. It's what those who work pay taxes for.

If this review doesn't see major changes to operating frequencies or hours, then it is a complete waste of time and money. Its an absolute joke that most services outside of normal peak hours simply don't run.
Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.
simonl

Post by simonl »

I'd be surprised if any buses running half full were cut. It's the ones running with <5 and particularly those near other services which are likely to go. E.g. 113.
Cab

Post by Cab »

From my views the 652 has increasing numbers on its limited service. This seems to be because of things like hourly service most of the weekday, the late 7:00pm service on a weekday, the 2hr frequency on Saturday passengers are more willing to catch the bus to and from Beachmere.

f any services are taken away it will affect passengers choice to catch the bus as they won't want to wait for a infrequent service :)
Another post by Cab.
racingnathan
Favourite Vehicle: BT Volvo B12BLE and B7RLE

SEQ bus network review

Post by racingnathan »

Hearing the 77 is one that could get the axe, especially now having multiple BUZ services on each side of the city.
Cab

Post by Cab »

racingnathan wrote:Hearing the 77 is one that could get the axe, especially now having multiple BUZ services on each side of the city.
It doesn't get large loads the 77 does it :?: The buses would be better used doing extra 111 and/or 333 service :?: :?
Another post by Cab.
Power
Favourite Vehicle: V741

Post by Power »

Cab wrote:
racingnathan wrote:Hearing the 77 is one that could get the axe, especially now having multiple BUZ services on each side of the city.
It doesn't get large loads the 77 does it :?: The buses would be better used doing extra 111 and/or 333 service :?: :?
77 gets decent loads during peak most seats are taken. 77 and 88 would work well as a peak only services.
Tell me how Swag is going to pay your bills in 10 years time?
TransitBris
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by TransitBris »

simonl wrote:I'd be surprised if any buses running half full were cut. It's the ones running with <5 and particularly those near other services which are likely to go. E.g. 113.
Have you actually been on 113's and travelled on them from a day to day basis? If you have, you would have noticed that most services do not meet your "criteria" above. Please don't make judgements based on occasional observations.

Gets annoying when people say "cut this" and "add that" from behind their computer screen and don't physically go out and experience the services (or lack of) for themselves. :roll:
Scania pride 8)
Andrew21

Post by Andrew21 »

I'm pretty sure they are going just on passenger journeys and not average loadings. A service which has only a couple of services a day will have low journeys but could have higher average loads than a more frequent service. Eg. 500 journeys per week over 20 services is better loads than 20000 journeys over 2200 services.
Is that the truth or did you read about it in a Rail Back on Track media release?
simonl

Post by simonl »

TransitBris wrote:
simonl wrote:I'd be surprised if any buses running half full were cut. It's the ones running with <5 and particularly those near other services which are likely to go. E.g. 113.
Have you actually been on 113's and travelled on them from a day to day basis? If you have, you would have noticed that most services do not meet your "criteria" above. Please don't make judgements based on occasional observations.

Gets annoying when people say "cut this" and "add that" from behind their computer screen and don't physically go out and experience the services (or lack of) for themselves. :roll:
Yes I have used it quite a number of times, if not to the Mt Gravatt Central terminus. Most of the patronage seems to come from Annerley Junction and in, which is easily accomodated on other services.
Andrew21 wrote:I'm pretty sure they are going just on passenger journeys and not average loadings. A service which has only a couple of services a day will have low journeys but could have higher average loads than a more frequent service. Eg. 500 journeys per week over 20 services is better loads than 20000 journeys over 2200 services.
Not sure if this comment is targetted at me or not, but how would I do that? The info on passenger trips by route would have to be publicly released.
TransitBris
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

SEQ bus network review

Post by TransitBris »

simonl wrote: Yes I have used it quite a number of times, if not to the Mt Gravatt Central terminus. Most of the patronage seems to come from Annerley Junction and in, which is easily accomodated on other services.
A lot of people use the 113 for short distances. E.g: Mt Gravatt Central to local area, Mt Gravatt/Nursery Rd to Holland Park West Busway, Tarragindi to Annerley, Annerley to City. Since a lot of old folk use it (who can't easily get to other services), there is no reason to scrap it. It performs better than some other routes.
Scania pride 8)
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

TransitBris wrote:
simonl wrote: Yes I have used it quite a number of times, if not to the Mt Gravatt Central terminus. Most of the patronage seems to come from Annerley Junction and in, which is easily accomodated on other services.
A lot of people use the 113 for short distances. E.g: Mt Gravatt Central to local area, Mt Gravatt/Nursery Rd to Holland Park West Busway, Tarragindi to Annerley, Annerley to City. Since a lot of old folk use it (who can't easily get to other services), there is no reason to scrap it. It performs better than some other routes.
That is no reason to not seriously review it. To perform better than other routes, it only has to out-perform stellar examples like the 414.

I am sick of people defending the ultra-slow, bus stop every 150 metres, confusing, over duplicated and underperforming safari zone that is most of the BT network. Seriously, go and travel and see how other people design their bus networks and why they avoid pretty much everything BT does except for the few things that actually work here (like the BUZ routes). A good starting point would be reading what this guy has to say and approaching his writings with an open mind, especially since there is a fair bit of commentary about Australia in there - http://www.humantransit.org/

Personally Campbell Newman and his government makes me sick to my stomach, but I can definitely support this move.
Elvis has left the building!

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”