Collins Coachways

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Collins Coachways

Post by Looselion »

There have been a number of requests for stuff about this past operator, and the man behind the story, Ray Collins.
Here's a typical image, of which I have no further details. The coach appears to be an ex-Redline Ford. I'm hoping for additional input about this and the story more generally.
I can't make an acknowledgement of photo as I have no information about it. Please advise if you can fill in the details.
Attachments
Collins Coachways - Central Australia (800 x 538).jpg
Collins Coachways - Central Australia (800 x 538).jpg (116.17 KiB) Viewed 32919 times
Bedford-29

Re: Collins Coachways

Post by Bedford-29 »

These two pictures might be of interest to you.Pictures from the Leon Batman.
In photo gallery
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-3556
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-3561
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
pauwri

Post by pauwri »

Thanks Looselion as a young lad I remember Ray at a few party's with my parents. He would pull up in one of his coaches packed to the rafters reddy for another trip to start. A very interesting chap with a good story or two.
I hope this promps Mr scania into that shoe box he has? Cheers.
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Post by Two-Way »

That lost photo of the Albion looks like its taken outside the pool in Grafton?
Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

That first photo was Rays first coach, The Centralian Queen. A Seddon truck chassis stretched with a Superior body. Built in 1968 I would guess. Ray says that that photo looks as though it might be at Simpsons Gap.

That third photo may not be taken in Grafton. The only places that the coaches would be photographed would have been is outside our house in Prince St or in Grafton Showground, or at the Workshop. The coaches spent very little time on the road in Grafton.

Also on another note Ray will be coming up to his 85th birthday soon on the 23rd of September.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Well I'd like to be one of the many who would wish Ray a wonderful 85th, and may there be many more years and many more miles to come Ray.
All the very best mate, and a coldie raised to you, from Glenn.
pauwri

Post by pauwri »

Here is a photo taken by Ian Lynas at?
pauwri

Post by pauwri »

Sorry I had to reduce the size.
Attachments
Copy of collins.JPG
Copy of collins.JPG (78.36 KiB) Viewed 32634 times
pauwri

Post by pauwri »

A couple I took at the workshop of ex Redline 83 in 1990
Attachments
83 rear.JPG
83 rear.JPG (90.72 KiB) Viewed 32634 times
83 front.JPG
83 front.JPG (63.99 KiB) Viewed 32630 times
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Sad.....
I remember her all shiny and new.
Guess we all have a use-by date....
Deetours

Post by Deetours »

I find it quite interesting following the natural progression of the people in the coaching industry, in that I did my time learning about the coach industry under the expert tuition of a bloke that I consider to be one of the best teachers possible, i.e. Ray Collins.
Ray in turn did his apprenticeship under a similar calibre tutor, Rex Laws.
I have many fond memories of returning from a three week jaunt around the Centre back in the 70's to be given a welcome home cuppa, breakfast and be-brief by Ray and Val, and sometimes if the hours were convenient, Val's parents. In later years these be-briefs were joined by a rather precocious but likeable little offspring, Robbie, who has since well and truly grown up and also followed in the footsteps of his father, and later still, by his sister Leonie.
I seem to have lost contact with a number of other operators who worked out on the "circuit" back then, all members of the ARCSC, but I am sure there must still be some of you out there!
As for the photograph of the square Denning coach in a previous post;
I seem to remember this coach as being a relative newcomer to the fleet in my day as Pat Ford, (now deceased- on his first ever trip driving a coach, as distinct from a bus) and myself were involved in an accident involving a mob of horses that had just been released after a muster at Newcastle Waters. They came out of the long grass and straight across the road at full gallop right in front of us. We got five of them but more to the point wrote off the front portion of the coach (The Queen if I recall correctly, A superior bodied Albion.- Ray's pride and joy) Being suddenly one coach down Ray had to something pretty quickly so he purchased this coach from Skennars and rushed it up as a replacement. A long and complicated story ensued that included a previously un-lubricated injector pump, a number of workshop stops, a number of charters to move passengers from 1) Elliot to Alice, 2) various day tours around Alice, 3) transfer from Alice to the Rock where we eventually caught up with them, and all this involved a comedy of errors re tyre blowouts on various charter vehicles and their recovery vehicles! Our passengers ended up on that trip having experienced a great adventure and rode on a total of 7 coaches to finish their trip. Those were the days. I can imagine a similar thing happening today!
I am sure that this coach would have eventually been given a correct name but we simply called it "the shoebox"!
My own limited foray into the industry lasted about 21 years or so before "cantankerousnocity" caught up with me and we sold the company off.
Somewhere here I have a photograph album or two of those heady days of the Central Australian safari tours and one of these days if ever I get my desktop computer back working again I might be able to scan a couple of shots for inclusion.
Glen
Industry

Post by Industry »

Looking forward to seeing your photos
Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Just wanted to bring this post to the top after many enquiries.
donitsky

Post by donitsky »

Ray Collins and driver on a camel on tour in 1976 (winter time)
collinsBusTour1976.jpg
Mr Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Ray Collins and Jimmy Martin on the camel.
Coach is The Princess.
Landseer
Favourite Vehicle: RFW trucks- Custom Hand built

Post by Landseer »

Ray Collins pass awayed away recently in Grafton

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”