Allans Wallaroo Leyland

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Roderick Smith

Allans Wallaroo Leyland

Post by Roderick Smith »

During an ambitious Eyre Peninsula tour by Victoria-based Rail Tourist Association, the organiser (Geoff Cargeeg, a professional bus driver) took delivery of a bus from Allens Wallaroo Coach
Service. It was then used by the tour group, and the photo shows it parked alongside BHP's Port Lincoln - Coffin Bay railway, on Sun.23.2.86.
After a posting elsewhere, Geoff Foster emailed me: 'It was a 1959 Freighter-bodied Leyland Tiger Cub which was new to Yorke Peninsula Road Lines and passed with that business to Allens'.
I can't remember if it had a manual gearchange or a preselector.
Brought back to Victoria, it was used to support various RTA tours: both carrying tour groups and bringing supper to tram or train tours. The bus was well preserved, and in original condition.
During a family feud when Geoff was incapacitated (~2000?), his brothers sold it, apparently for conversion to a mobile home.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
Attachments
860223Su-YR38a-PortLincoln-CoffinBaySA-RTAspecial-theBus-RSmith-ss.jpg
860223Su-YR38a-PortLincoln-CoffinBaySA-RTAspecial-theBus-RSmith-ss.jpg (282.71 KiB) Viewed 25256 times
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: Allans Wallaroo Leyland

Post by system improver »

Maybe this one, shown with Yorke Peninsula Lines, as previously posted on this board:

And later in this Bruce Tilley photo:

A great pity it didn't survive as a bus. My guess is that it was new about 1960, judging by the Freighter body style.
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

Great additions. It is not the first of your pair (2828, different name), but is the second (265); I remember the name 'Tra-Lin', which should show in more of the series, taken during its new life in Victoria.
Roderick B Smith
Roderick Smith

Former Allans Leyland Tiger Cub

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick
Last edited by Roderick Smith on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roderick Smith

Re: Former Allans Leyland Tiger Cub

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick
Last edited by Roderick Smith on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roderick Smith

Re: Former Allans Leyland Tiger Cub

Post by Roderick Smith »

I notice that a Leyland Tiger Cub in Qld had a pneumatic clutch; and have found that it was an option for the model. Could this one have been fitted?

Roderick B Smith
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

Hi All,

I know that I'm digging up an old thread here, but I took a few photos of this coach, a few days ago, and found this while looking for information. It's sitting in a field in the Sunbury area with a few others. It looks like the conversion never happened, as you can still see seats in it. Pretty much looks like it was parked up and then forgotten about. There's a few eclectic friends around it as well, these being two generations of AEC Regal and a 70's bendy of some description.

Pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskMhLej2
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Great looking bus, shame about the ending, as with the others there
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

The bendy looks like ex Adelaide or Darwin.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

The bendy was new to Darwin,then sold to Hoy's Roadlines in Wangaratta for use as a school bus on their Wang-Hamilton Park school contract.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

The body looks pretty much identical to an ex Adelaide Volvo B58H, or B10MA. Fleet lists may be able to confirm the number. These were withdrawn from route service around 2004-2005.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

New to Darwin Bus Service as 34)N.T mo 8.034 Leyland DAF/PMCSA(4105,12/79)AB73D.
Sold to Hoys Roadlines Pty.Ltd.,Wangaratta ,9/93.Reg as 46)FLF 161.Used on their Hamilton Park school run.
Sold for parts,1999.
Hope this assists.
E.L.Wood
Favourite Vehicle: PMC Adelaide bodied Elwood

Post by E.L.Wood »

The Bendy and the Mark IV were caught up in a failed extremely ambitious museum/cropping venture down Drouin way, note the CH plates on the bendy and the mark IV, IIRC there was a dispute over storage fees owing and access was denied to the 4 buses, I'm unsure if the other 2 buses were part of the museum plan.
yolo seems to be a bit of a trend!

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”