ex London Transport RTL547

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: ex London Transport RTL547

Post by Swift »

LT had nearly 5000 of the widgets. You'de think more than a handful would make it over, especially being a correct hand drive country. Even the USA acquired more than us. A California based college even ran a fleet of RTs and RTLs for decades (still does I believe) but have inevitably received American engines and gearboxes, though they ran with their original engines for a long time.
They were driven by student drivers.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

There were around 5000 AEC RTs and around 2000 Leyland RTL/RTWs. For some reason there was less aftermarket for the Leylands, so fewer survived.

Presumably there was a market in the US due to their novelty value, diluted here by ready availability of Sydney equivalents. Only an enthusiast would see value in shipping costs from the UK.

I had cravings to get a Routemaster back in the 1980s. Rather blasphemously, an RCL to which I wanted to fit an RMA front door. Both were readily available, but the shipping cost killed the idea.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I don't want to pre-empt the Bus Museum's acquisition policies, but they already have two excellent London buses. Their resources might be better directed at collecting and restoring more relevant local buses.

As rare as the RTL is, I can't see too many locals wanting it in this condition. Perhaps some cashed-up pom might want to repatriate it?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote:I don't want to pre-empt the Bus Museum's acquisition policies, but they already have two excellent London buses. Their resources might be better directed at collecting and restoring more relevant local buses.
I former board member lamented the Museum's decision to remove the Leyland 0600 and fit a 590 to RM 1708 and I disagreed with him at the time because I never realised that quite a large batch of RMs were so fitted from new in the early 60s. I now see what he was getting at. The lovely sound I associated with the RMs from various movies and television shows was probably this engine!
But the museum was obviously set on making it pure AEC even though the RM was a collaborative effort with AEC a part player. I had my first ride in 1708 only recently and it was the most boring sounding rear platform decker I had ever ridden, and that includes all the re-motored non British engined RMLs I caught in London.
LT in it's wisdom obviously decided to have a certain amount of Leyland powered RMs to serve as successors to their RTLs.
1708 could have been the Museum's RTL.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”