The New Tram/Light Rail Line

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Tim Williams

Re: The New Tram/Light Rail Line

Post by Tim Williams »

I understand but, variable operating costs of two units vs. one should not be just brushed aside as minimal. As an accountant, I spent a number of years, analyzing in detail rigid 12 mtr buses vs. 18 mtr artics and the difference was quite substantial.

With LRT's there would be the (individual) unit maintenance cost + the electricity drawn from the grid.

I really have enjoyed looking all these two tram lines, I am also surmised that swiveling bogie units were not specified.

The transport scene is always interesting in Sydney!
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Time taken shouldn't be an issue if coupling is the exception and more frequent genuine turn up and go single units are the norm. So what if it means more drivers? It's still way in front of buses when it comes to capacity. PT needs to bring back more emphasis to a public service worth the spend then always focusing on costs.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

We worked out years ago that running 8 car trains on all suburban services that serve the cbd was more efficient than a combination of 4, 6 and 8 car trains, hence the Waratahs were specified as indivisible 8 car sets. Yes it increases operating and maintenance costs, but it means that all trains are the same length allowing passengers to use the full length of busier platforms.

On the road coupling and uncoupling just adds complexity. The light rail already operates frequently enough that we don't need to split the sets and double the number of services. The net result would be more congestion, which is why it was decided to operate double sets in the first place.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Then back to TW's point that they didn't select the right siize LRV for the job in the first instance.

Who says trams have to be operated like trains? Another example of the one size fits all thinking.
A certain poster took it like a personal affront to christen this system as a street Tangara even though others agreed.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Swift wrote: Then back to TW's point that they didn't select the right size LRV for the job in the first instance.
Don't think anybody disagrees with that, It was the result of changing specifications after contracts had been signed. It was a cock up, but what is done is done.
Swift wrote: Who says trams have to be operated like trains?
No one is saying they should, but as has been explained there was a reason why it was decided to operate double sets.
Swift

Post by Swift »

At the end of the day you're better off in your Toyota (or Mazda or Hyundai, two other extremely common car brands in Sydney -all foreign).
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:51 pm At the end of the day you're better off in your Toyota (or Mazda or Hyundai, two other extremely common car brands in Sydney -all foreign).
Enjoy the traffic jams and finding somewhere to park then. The only thing that keeps me off public transport is slow journey times and poor timetables, otherwise it's the best way to go.
Swift

Post by Swift »

You just reinforced my statement. Thanks for that.
Parking isn't to hard in Kingsford at least.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”