Re: NSW Railway Observations 2021

Post by Fleet Lists »

Have you read the article?
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

From the photo. just seems to be some graphics on the ground in front of the gate, still the old style "leg crushers". Were there two wide gates there previously?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

‘Las Vegas-style’ billboards spark fight between heritage pub, Sydney Trains

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/las ... l#comments
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:28 pm ‘Las Vegas-style’ billboards spark fight between heritage pub, Sydney Trains

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/las ... l#comments
An extension of the advertising at all costs approach applied to AOA on public transport vehicles. Once upon a time, the government was fighting private land owners to protect heritage. Now it's the reverse.

This reminds me of a case back in the 1990s when the RTA wanted to widen Cleveland St across the historic railway bridge. The railway heritage section made them clean up the old brick balustrades and replicate them on the widened section which it dutifully did with some pride in a beautiful job with carefully selected matching bricks. Then a couple of months later, the very shocked and disappointed RTA bridge engineers were on the blower to report that a different section of the byzantine SRA had come along and painted all the balustrades and applied new advertising over them (the left hand vs the right hand). Doh.
ed24

Post by ed24 »

I noticed platform doors are now also being wrapped in advertisements at Chatswood - unsure when this happened as haven't been through there in probably a year.
Glen

Post by Glen »

From this discussion of AOA, I am reminded of a comment by the late Roger Graham who said:

"Would Woolworths let us paint our bus company name all over their supermarket?"
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

ed24 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:40 pm I noticed platform doors are now also being wrapped in advertisements at Chatswood - unsure when this happened as haven't been through there in probably a year.
Metro platform doors have been wrapped in advertisement wrap for a while now, i think roughly coming up to a year now. Much better that than on the windows I think
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:10 am
Metro platform doors have been wrapped in advertisement wrap for a while now, i think roughly coming up to a year now. Much better that than on the windows I think
Now there's a good strategy for getting rid of AOA on transit vehicles - hide them behind door screens at stops so that nobody can read what's on the vehicle from the platform. Roll out screens for all train, tram and bus stops!
boronia

Post by boronia »

Manhunt after train hits truck, alleged copper wiring theft investigated
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/man ... 57aca.html
@ The Museum of Fire.
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

The north shore down line is due for its shift west to go over the new dive structure for the metro at Chatswood this weekend.

I wonder how it will go with the Noah like rain predicted over the next couple of days?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Engineering wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:52 am The north shore down line is due for its shift west to go over the new dive structure for the metro at Chatswood this weekend.

I wonder how it will go with the Noah like rain predicted over the next couple of days?
It'll be easier, they'll float it across on barges.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Engineering wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:52 am The north shore down line is due for its shift west to go over the new dive structure for the metro at Chatswood this weekend.

It is not being "shifted". A completely new line has been laid, just a matter of hooking up at the ends.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

As part of the Return to service of 3801, this Weekend, March 20 & 21, was to be a Southern Highlander trip to Bowral and Moss Vale, with Diesel Locos between Sydney and Picton, and 3801 in charge between Picton and Moss Vale.

However, there has been reported at around 8am this morning, Saturday March 20, of a Derailment of Empty Heritage Cars to Sydney between Panania and Revesby.

It would seem Down Trains are getting through, with Up trains being diverted elsewhere.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Gap buffers to be installed at station platforms on the Sydney Trains network to prevent falls

https://7news.com.au/travel/sydney-trai ... BcknTn24AY
@ The Museum of Fire.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

Further to the above post in respect to the derailment of Empty Heritage Cars, Saturday March 20.

The derailment occurred at Revesby Station, and was a result of a Broken Axle on Car TBC 532.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fJzBj9FCtc

The Southern Highlander trip was Cancelled Saturday, and again Sunday, March 20 & 21.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

Scott4570 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:53 am Further to the above post in respect to the derailment of Empty Heritage Cars, Saturday March 20.

The derailment occurred at Revesby Station, and was a result of a Broken Axle on Car TBC 532.
The information as to the cause came by way of the Sydney Light Rail Staff at Circular Quay, Saturday Night, March 20, but cannot be substantiated.

A Broken Axle may require a Pony Bogie to be fitted as part of the recovery and travel would then be very much restricted.
No reports have been given on a slow trip to Sydney or to Thirlmere.

Apologies for undue concern on this matter.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

One of the PM Peak CCN trains that go via the North Shore to Wyong, just now, was running as a 4 car service (OSCar) instead of the usual 8 car.

Hope that’s just a temporary flood related one-off and not a permanent thing, it would be an appalling downgrade of capacity.

I also note on this exact particular service a couple of weeks ago at Wynyard they were requesting over the PA for people that don’t actually have to go to the central coast to consider not boarding this train and just wait for the next one
swtt

Post by swtt »

Don't be surprised if there are several sets stuck north of Fassifern due to the flooding.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Real time apps had an updated CCN timetable for today, many peak hour trains were listed as 4 car sets - departing Central at 4.05pm, 4.14pm via Shore, 4.20pm, 4.50pm, 5.04pm, 5.13pm via Shore, 6.20pm and similarly for this morning's AM peak.

I assume it will be similar tomorrow and until the line past Fassifern can re-open.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

Tonight, Tuesday, March 23, Buses are replacing trains between Wollongong and Dapto, due to Signalling Equipment repairs at Unanderra.

Anytrip is showing a Waratah set operating Shuttle services between Dapto and Kiama.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Anyone know why there's so many damaged seats on the waratah a sets lately? I'm on board carriage N5439 on set A39 and there's 8 damaged seats on just the upper deck. 61 and 24 are in similar conditions is there a parts shortage or a maintenance issue?

There's also a 4 Carriage Oscar on Blacktown to Central Coast service this Afternoon when its nearly always 8 carriages. It's the set that stables outside platform 3 during the day has been shortened for some reason.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Just report the damaged seats to 131500. I don't think too many people here conduct inquests into vandalism.

The 4H sets were explained a couple of posts back.
@ The Museum of Fire.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Sydney Trains are claiming that replacement buses cannot service East Richmond at the moment due to road closures, even though that the replacement service from Schofields to Richmond that is operating drives over the level crossing adjacent to the station at East Richmond on Bourke Street.

Quite strange.

I also noted that there are 3x 8-car Waratah sets presently stuck at Richmond whilst the line is closed. The overhead power must still be on as they've all got the lights on and air conditioning running.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

The M sets appear to be going through a refresh/minor refurb - specifically concerning the lighting.

Don’t have set numbers sorry, but have noticed several sets recently now have lighting that is almost identical in shade to that of the B sets, quite a bit brighter than the original soft yellow
boronia

Post by boronia »

Sydney 130-year-old train line picked up and moved in two days

https://www.9news.com.au/national/oldes ... acaa7c092f
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”