Private Bus Observations 2021

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Private Bus Observations 2021

Post by tonyp »

The way it used to be done:

1. Extractors along the roof (probably not all that effective).
2. Opening vent flaps at front of bus (not as good as the entire windscreen opening but at least a gesture to modernity).
3. Leave front door open thanks to no interlock.
4. Sliding standee windows (very effective) - they got it right there, unlike the DGT "Hotboxes" where the lower windows slid open but the standee windows were fixed, making standing a deeply unpleasant experience in summer.

https://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/di ... ?pid=19831
[John Ward photo]

In thus luxury was I conveyed throughout my high school years until transitioning into the wider world of the workforce when I had to transfer from the luxury conveyance to the juddering, stinking, but admittedly possible to ventilate piece of junk on the left. Opening windscreen vs flaps.

https://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/di ... ?pid=19832
[Ian Lynas photo]
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: Extractors along the roof (probably not all that effective).
Useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.
tonyp wrote: Leave front door open thanks to no interlock.
Try getting that past WorkCover / the insurers.
tonyp wrote: Sliding standee windows (very effective) - they got it right there, unlike the DGT "Hotboxes" where the lower windows slid open but the standee windows were fixed, making standing a deeply unpleasant experience in summer.
It was only the initial batch of single deckers that had fixed upper windows. The mistake was recognised and windows with both top and bottom sliding panels then became the norm, save for the Mark 2 Mercedes O305s.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:36 am It was only the initial batch of single deckers that had fixed upper windows. The mistake was recognised and windows with both top and bottom sliding panels then became the norm, save for the Mark 2 Mercedes O305s.
About half of the British underfloors (350) had fixed windows.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:36 am
tonyp wrote: Sliding standee windows (very effective) - they got it right there, unlike the DGT "Hotboxes" where the lower windows slid open but the standee windows were fixed, making standing a deeply unpleasant experience in summer.
It was only the initial batch of single deckers that had fixed upper windows. The mistake was recognised and windows with both top and bottom sliding panels then became the norm, save for the Mark 2 Mercedes O305s.
The second series ERTs with their sliding upper windows, yes I remember reading about it.
Mark II Mercs had the reverse situation with the fixed glass at the bottom ¼. Less of an issue than the first series ERTs. The Mercedes also had the roof hatches which can be a life saver. Those first ERTs must have been a furnace with the engine in the middle. As if it wasn't uncomfortable enough just to be standing!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

Glen wrote:https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6064203

Five new shuttle routes will operate throughout Thursday, 12 August:

Glebe to Central – T431
Lilyfield to Central – T470
Five Dock to Leichhardt Town Hall only – T437
Abbotsford to Annandale (finishing at Parramatta Rd and Johnston St) – T438
Balmain Wharf to QVB - T442
These shuttle routes are using Tour buses. For example T431 had 2 tour buses yesterday.

A white piece of paper is stuck in front saying "Route 431" and destination.

Sent from my SM-A7050 using Tapatalk

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Facebook has photos of some Murray's coaches operating these services.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Hillsbus were operating Route 389 in lieu of Transit Systems today as a result of the Leichhardt Depot COVID situation.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Swift

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:51 pm Facebook has photos of some Murray's coaches operating these services.
Why do enthusiasts love Fakebook so much? It'd be nice to see some pics here.
Glen

Post by Glen »

CityRail wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:44 pm These shuttle routes are using Tour buses. For example T431 had 2 tour buses yesterday.
Timetables are available on Transport Info.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Swift wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:51 pm
boronia wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:51 pm Facebook has photos of some Murray's coaches operating these services.
Why do enthusiasts love Fakebook so much? It'd be nice to see some pics here.
Probably because it is so much easier to upload photos.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:03 pm
Probably because it is so much easier to upload photos.
Even with the uploading feature here and no need for Image-slack or Photo-racket?
It's got to be more than that.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Swift wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:16 pm Even with the uploading feature here and no need for Image-slack or Photo-racket?
This is going off topic but I'll chime in just this once here.

Previously when I've attempted to work with the attachment function there has been some sort of file size limit in place (think in the KB's or single digit megabytes) It has been a while since I've worked with that so please cut me some slack if I'm incorrect or if this is no longer the case and the pictures I take lose quality if I have do downscale them to such a small file size because by default their in somewhere around the 8MB's range (I shoot using a 24.1 Megapixel DSLR now days compared to my older 2010 18.00 MPX camera and I always shot raw with that).

With my new Camera I shoot in JPEG by default but I can also shoot in RAW if I want (which my camera uses .CR3 format) Something like Canon Raw 3. Windows can view these files however file uploaders don't recognise them as an image file and they drop an error message when trying to upload them so what I have to do first is Covert the .CR3 to JPEG or PNG and there is always going to be some noticeable quality loss in the image but one is less than the other. Then there is the width and size rule and having to downscale the resolution of the image to abide by the forums image rules and then for myself I upload them to either Imgur or PostIMG (PostIMG which gives me the choice before uploading if I want to change the image res where as Imgur doesn't). I copy the links for the images, post them in the thread and there we are.

So yes some work is involved when it comes to image sharing here & complying with rules where as Facebook you just upload and as long as your photo isn't huge you're great to go. I do try to make my images as HQ as possible but outside factors do apply.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

There's my answer. Thanks for that ScaniaGrenda.
Speaking of answers, half the time you don't get any here when you do upload a photo anyway. At least Facebooger allows icons like thumbs up. Here they eliminated the thanks button which was similar in effect.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I agree I think the removing the 'thanks' button was a bad call. People always appreciate some positive feedback, and that was a quick & easy way of doing it. I look at some of the NSW photo posts over the last few days, each have had more than 100 views, yet no feedback, tick, smile, thanks, etc for the posters. Contributors must think 'why bother' ?

On the comments about photo size and quality, I'd prefer a poor quality photo on here to no photo. The works of art will only get copied by others - for me it's about sharing the hobby with others.
Last edited by Centralian on Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
boronia

Post by boronia »

IIRC this feature was removed from the current iteration of the software.
@ The Museum of Fire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

If we want to create a dedicated topic for this, more than happy for someone to create one (As I do understand the Administrators wouldn't want us going off track any further than we already have)

Centralian has a point but we have to take into account that there isn't a lot of "active registered" accounts here now days so a lot of those views that are displayed on threads are just as likely coming from unregistered accounts (also known as guests by this forums software or visitors) or those who are signed out. I do share photos as you all know but given the small active userbase on this forum it really doesn't bother me in the slightest if there is posts in there or not but I do understand from your viewpoints how you'd like to see some sort of response from signed in members just as much, I get it can feel like a drag putting time into sharing photos and threads just continuously being empty for feedback or thank yous.

Boronias post also holds value, at least what I recall seeing months ago the removal of the "Thanks" button was to do with a software update that this board runs on. Probably not supported in later builds for various reasons hence why it never returned but maybe Fleet-list himself or one of the Active Administrators may want to clue us in on this if they want too.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

An issue I've had with Facetwit was resolution loss in images. Some people upload rubbish images from phones - they look great. Others take the effort with a half-decent camera and their images are slaughtered by compression algorithms, in spite of 'high quality' upload options being used.

Unfortunately the size limit here would be off-putting - but then ATDB isn't a huge multinational, harvesting user's data, selling it and paying very little in tax, is it?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:44 pm but then ATDB isn't a huge multinational, harvesting user's data, selling it and paying very little in tax, is it?
Don't put ideas into the moderators' heads :lol:

I have no problems uploading photos here but often have to reduce them because the file size is too large, which can render details like number plates hard to read. I just accept the compromise or, alternatively, link to a higher-definition photo on the web.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Seems those routes affected by the COVID-19 contact issue at Transit Systems' Leichhardt depot will now be running to a Sunday timetable, with the addition of route 503:

https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6064291
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Swift

Post by Swift »

pgt wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:27 pm Seems those routes affected by the COVID-19 contact issue at Transit Systems' Leichhardt depot will now be running to a Sunday timetable, with the addition of route 503:

https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6064291
That's encouraging news.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Busabout MAN CB80 caught fire outside Macarthur Square today, fortunately no fatalities.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

BAMBAM wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:48 pm Busabout MAN CB80 caught fire outside Macarthur Square today, fortunately no fatalities.
Do we have anymore info on the bus like rego yet
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

All I could see from that story was it was a ex Busways CB80 that Busabout picked up as a contracted bus with the region 15 contract but I couldn't make out the rego
Swift

Post by Swift »

I hope someone posts any findings here. Those CC MANs are my favourite late model bus. What a shame.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”