December Bus Changes - Northern Beaches and Lower North Shore

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
robert

Re: December Bus Changes - Northern Beaches and Lower North Shore

Post by robert »

pgt wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:01 am
J_Busworth wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:20 pm

Based on the October 25 changes, it appears that Transport may issues further supplementary advice about changes to other operators in a seperate release. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did the same for this, and Forest was to over the lost ground of the 136.
Given nothing has been announced relating to this part of Chatswood currently served by the 136, was patronage that light that they aren't going to change this at all, or maybe there's other reasons for not changing things at least in time for this round of changes?
Only other bus I can think of that goes anywhere near this area is the 275, which is more a shopper's service than anything else, not counting the existing services on Eastern Valley Way and Boundary St.
As anticipated elsewhere, the maps for routes 281-3 on TfNSW show them rerouted via Smith, High & Victoria on and after Sunday 20 Dec 2020, but there is no timetable for the revised routes. Therefore when you use Trip Planner to travel from say from Chatswood station to Smith/High on 21/12, there appears to be no recognition that you can catch any of the Forest routes.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
swtt

Post by swtt »

Oops. Even TfNSW couldn't get their own latest update right - route 111 replaces 236 and 244 but doesn't operate to Balmoral Beach or RNS! :P
https://transportnsw.info/news/2020/nor ... s#homepage
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

Is there an updated network map available?
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

swtt wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm Oops. Even TfNSW couldn't get their own latest update right - route 111 replaces 236 and 244 but doesn't operate to Balmoral Beach or RNS! :P
If you look at it now, that mistake has been fixed now.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
swtt

Post by swtt »

pgt wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:53 pm
swtt wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:52 pm Oops. Even TfNSW couldn't get their own latest update right - route 111 replaces 236 and 244 but doesn't operate to Balmoral Beach or RNS! :P
If you look at it now, that mistake has been fixed now.
Route 114 doesn't replace 144 though. It replaces 257 😁
pgt

Post by pgt »

swtt wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:57 pm
pgt wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:53 pm If you look at it now, that mistake has been fixed now.
Route 114 doesn't replace 144 though. It replaces 257 😁
I suspect more than a rush job on that page - quite frankly, like the route network, it needs an overhaul itself.

There is the acknowledgement of the routes 281/282/283 going via Victoria Avenue and Smith St in East Chatswood, but there's a typo there for example where it refers to route "281, 283 and 283" being changed but it does mention route 282 below it.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I saw Northern Beaches Cabs Toyota Camry cab parked here in Ettalong Beach yesterday! I think the driver will get a boost in business!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
iamthouth

Post by iamthouth »

One change not listed appears to be that L70 becomes 270X, consistent with other renumbering previously. That only leaves the eastern suburbs with L prefixes.

https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... 0x/39270-X
Stu

Post by Stu »

Route 155 has been extended from Northern Beaches Hospital to Forestway Shopping Centre, this was not mentioned on the webpage.
robert

Post by robert »

New timetables for Forest's 278-284 are now on the TfNSW website.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
citaro393
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405NH CC Citaro

Post by citaro393 »

The new network map is available from the TfNSW website: https://transportnsw.info/document/5202 ... r_2020.pdf . Unlike other network maps it also shows routes from other regions including Hillsbus, Forest and STA R7.
swtt

Post by swtt »

...but it's of course, showing L70 instead of 270X :P
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Routes 243/246/249 in Wynyard will start from York St instead of Carrington St, also making an additional stop on Clarence St.
This seems to be an attempt to relieve expected pressure on route 100 services, though it might be slightly slower than the original route.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

The bus stands at Manly Wharf are also reshuffled.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Qantas94Heavy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:08 pm Routes 243/246/249 in Wynyard will start from York St instead of Carrington St, also making an additional stop on Clarence St.
This seems to be an attempt to relieve expected pressure on route 100 services, though it might be slightly slower than the original route.
Haha haha now N drivers get a taste of wha some M drivers (and their passengers) have to endure in going around that block and having to pick up twice.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
DABOIKOOLKID
Favourite Vehicle: 4994

Post by DABOIKOOLKID »

How is the 166 and 155 going to get from Rabbett St to Forestway Shops?
And why don't they preserve the current 155 route and use the 169/280 routing for the 166 between Frenches Forest Rd East and Forestway Shops?
HHH

Post by HHH »

Updated info (such as 155 & 242) for changes to Northern Beaches which includes Forest Coach Lines.

https://transportnsw.info/news/2020/nor ... provements
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

DABOIKOOLKID wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:09 pm How is the 166 and 155 going to get from Rabbett St to Forestway Shops?
And why don't they preserve the current 155 route and use the 169/280 routing for the 166 between Frenches Forest Rd East and Forestway Shops?
i'm guessing around the block through the bit of Frenchs Forest south of Warringah Road and west of Wakehurst Parkway, i.e. partially utilise the 137 route
robert

Post by robert »

DABOIKOOLKID wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:09 pm How is the 166 and 155 going to get from Rabbett St to Forestway Shops?
My guess is that the turning movement will involve going via Hilmer St. But I will be having a look on Sunday 20th!

I imagine they have selected the new route (a) so the 155 & 166 go past the Northern Beaches Hospital in both directions, (b) because it would not be desirable to have buses laying over in the stand outside Forestway shops, interfering with the many buses which will continue to stop there, and (c) because terminating in Rabbett St allows pax transferring to City or Chatswood buses to avoid crossing Forest Way.
pgt

Post by pgt »

Another subtle change to the 144 routing, which drivers sometimes do in PM peak I have noticed (and 533 drivers already do now), is Chatswood bound services according to the region map go up the Pacific Highway all the way to Railway St then make a right and continue to the terminus, instead of making that right turn at Brown St.

Though unless there's changes to the traffic setup there, some drivers might still turn right there, or as some terminating buses do now, turn right on Victoria Ave and terminate opposite the station.
citaro393 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:29 pm The new network map is available from the TfNSW website: https://transportnsw.info/document/5202 ... r_2020.pdf . Unlike other network maps it also shows routes from other regions including Hillsbus, Forest and STA R7.
They're already going to have to make modifications to it for some of the region 7 changes in January that overlap, though it's also possible they have a map queued up for then too.
robert

Post by robert »

pgt wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:04 pm Another subtle change to the 144 routing, which drivers sometimes do in PM peak I have noticed (and 533 drivers already do now), is Chatswood bound services according to the region map go up the Pacific Highway all the way to Railway St then make a right and continue to the terminus, instead of making that right turn at Brown St.

Though unless there's changes to the traffic setup there, some drivers might still turn right there, or as some terminating buses do now, turn right on Victoria Ave and terminate opposite the station.
The map for 530 shows its route running via Railway St.
robert

Post by robert »

Both the network map and the timetable map for 191 refer to "direct services via Plateau Rd". The timetable map also says "Refer to timetable". But there are no symbols in the timetable for such trips. So if you look at the running times between "Plateau Rd at Bilgola Tce" and "Bilambee Ave opp Bilga Ave", you can see that early morning and evening trips take 3 minutes, whereas weekday daytime and all weekend trips take 7 minutes. Presumably the trips which take only 3 minutes go direct via Plateau Rd?
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

robert wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:51 am
pgt wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:04 pm Another subtle change to the 144 routing, which drivers sometimes do in PM peak I have noticed (and 533 drivers already do now), is Chatswood bound services according to the region map go up the Pacific Highway all the way to Railway St then make a right and continue to the terminus, instead of making that right turn at Brown St.

The map for 530 shows its route running via Railway St.
From my observation earlier this year (disregarding official route), 144 and 200 usually turns at Brown Street, 533 I'm not sure (rarely took it), 530 almost always at Railway Street because it stops opp Brown Street. However, I have taken some 530 services that turn right at Brown Street if there was no one getting off at opp Brown Street.

After 200 gets truncated to Campbell St, there won't be any more services that will turn into Brown Street (officially).
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
swtt

Post by swtt »

Looks like all of the changes to buses starting tomorrow will also be carrying fresh air given the current situation.

I wondered why BN1 wasn't named NB1. Northern Beaches 1 sounds quite nice

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

swtt wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:10 pm Looks like all of the changes to buses starting tomorrow will also be carrying fresh air given the current situation.

I wondered why BN1 wasn't named NB1. Northern Beaches 1 sounds quite nice Image

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk
The new timatable is actually a reduction of buses on the trunk route (and diverting resources to local feeder routes). In that sense, it may serve the current situation well. :lol:

There will be less buses between Warringah Mall and Manly, and between Warringah Mall and city.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”