Andrew Constance confirms he will quit (NSW) politics

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Newcastle Flyer

Andrew Constance confirms he will quit (NSW) politics

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Andrew Constance confirms he we quit politics

https://www.9news.com.au/national/andre ... b481044cf8
A NSW politician whose hometown was ravaged by bushfires said he will help the region recover and then quit politics.
The state's Minister for Transport and Roads Andrew Constance said seeing something traumatic up so close "changes you".

Many weeks on from the devastating bushfires that ripped through NSW's south-east, residents are struggling without phone reception, and battling "bureaucracy and red tape" to access relief payments, Mr Constance told Alan Jones on 2GB this morning.
"Now we've got this mechanical political approach to everything, that it's all scripted. Let's start operating on our guts," he said.

"If you start doing that, they're the best political leaders."
Mr Constance admitted he "used to be one of those machine politicians, I know that."

"It took a bloody big fire to make me realise how wrong politics is in this country."
However he insisted that he had made up his mind to "recover and resign".
mk2n75
Favourite Vehicle: Mk3 merc

Re: Andrew Constance confirms he will quit politics

Post by mk2n75 »

He started the ball rolling with State Transit, when he started up in Newcastle transferring to keolis Downer and now the rest of the regions are up for splitting,
maybe he also heard today Keolis in Adelaide lost there regions and staff may loose jobs.
we in Sydney may be seeing our future
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

UPDATE: His resignation could be a few years away.

^^ mk2n75
But at least Newcastle now has for SOME bus routes, 15 & 30 minute frequencies.

Oh also to prevent double posting after that parse error, don't reload the page, just close and reopen the page.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
mk2n75
Favourite Vehicle: Mk3 merc

Post by mk2n75 »

Thanks for info Newcastle Flyer, :D
I know my post draws a long bow, but as any good politician knows.
you cant left Facts ruin a good story :lol:
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I guess he will bow out at the next election?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Regardless of past criticism, we should at least acknowledge his contrition. If only more self serving politicians took the same stance, the country might be better off.
jaseee

Post by jaseee »

Transtopic wrote:Regardless of past criticism, we should at least acknowledge his contrition. If only more self serving politicians took the same stance, the country might be better off.
Agree, despite what people may think of the liberals in general, between him and Gladys they have done more for transport in NSW in the last 8 years than NSW Labor did in 16 years. Yes, some decisions weren't great, but overall some great improvements and additions to our transport network.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Constance is a man who has consistently stood by his beliefs and has done what he believes to be right. Whilst I don't agree with his political worldview, it would be remiss to not acknowledge the contribution he has made to transport in NSW. He has consistently thought for what he has believed would make transport better, and has realistically made some achievements.

I hope any future minister will have the drive to get as much as achieved and as much built as Constance. Maybe minus the ideological preference to sell off.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

jaseee wrote: Agree, despite what people may think of the liberals in general, between him and Gladys they have done more for transport in NSW in the last 8 years than NSW Labor did in 16 years. Yes, some decisions weren't great, but overall some great improvements and additions to our transport network.
Without doubt, the last decade has seen the largest investment in NSW public transport since the 1930s, but it is very much the Premier's personal passion - Constance is her sidekick. Don't forget she was the opposition shadow Minister for Transport for years and she studied the subject in great detail as I can personally attest.
swtt

Post by swtt »

J_Busworth wrote:Constance is a man who has consistently stood by his beliefs and has done what he believes to be right. Whilst I don't agree with his political worldview, it would be remiss to not acknowledge the contribution he has made to transport in NSW. He has consistently thought for what he has believed would make transport better, and has realistically made some achievements.

I hope any future minister will have the drive to get as much as achieved and as much built as Constance. Maybe minus the ideological preference to sell off.
Agreed. These days in politics, sticking to your guns is rare - giving in to populism is far easier and perhaps to a large extent, a cop out which will end up with compromises which you can't live with.
boronia

Post by boronia »

It is just his arrogant demeanor that lets him down
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Now there are reports he is being groomed for Federal Parliament.
@ The Museum of Fire.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

well looks like hes set to go to canberra ! :cry: who would you pick for transport minister NOW????
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
swtt

Post by swtt »

He is now the third longest serving Transport Minister in modern times (30 years) - I don't think he'll eclipse Carl Scully.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_ ... uth_Wales)
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

If he does get in maybe the PM should make him the federal infrastructure minister as that's a part of his current role in NSW then at least more projects might get under way
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

He has confirmed that he will seek preselection https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-05/ ... n/12214998
Living in the Shire.
jpp42

Re: Andrew Constance confirms he will quit (NSW) politics

Post by jpp42 »

And now he has confirmed he won't, 24 hours later!
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

He will probably remain stay as Transport and Road Minister

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-06/ ... o/12219156
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

swtt wrote:He is now the third longest serving Transport Minister in modern times (30 years) - I don't think he'll eclipse Carl Scully.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_ ... uth_Wales)
I remember Milton Morris as Transport Minister under a number of Liberal State Premiers. Imagine he must hold the record at close to about 10 years I think.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

NSW minister Andrew Constance 'very lucky' not to have been fired
Aaron Patrick, AFR Online

https://www.afr.com/politics/nsw-minist ... 508-p54r4c
NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance, who mounted a 24-hour bid for a federal seat, was almost fired on Wednesday and now faces the prospect of being removed from the portfolio in a coming cabinet reshuffle.

A senior government source said Mr Constance was "very lucky" to have been kept as transport minister this week and had been placed on notice that his performance needed to improve if he was to keep the job.

Gladys Berejiklian considered firing Andrew Constance from the transport portfolio, a source says.
Full text available here if you can't get past the paywall: https://old.reddit.com/r/sydney/comment ... ky_not_to/

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”