STA Observations 2020

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Re: STA Observations 2020

Post by boronia »

2720 on the news tonight after a tree fell on it near Roseville in yesterday's storm.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
ed24

Post by ed24 »

pgt wrote: One thing they might need to address if frequency is increased on the 533 is that right hand turn from Pacific Highway to Mowbray Road (no right turn, buses excepted) since it would mean relatively more traffic getting blocked by a bus turning right there, given there are no green arrows for that turn nor a turning bay.
This intersection was supposed to be redeveloped by now with right turn lanes southbound as part of the Metro works (as they've removed the G turn via the Nelson St Bridge) but it's gone a bit quiet.
Stu

Post by Stu »

boronia wrote:2720 on the news tonight after a tree fell on it near Roseville in yesterday's storm.
Currently at STA AMD at Leichhardt.
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

As a result of Tuesday night's storms, Carlingford Road between Carlingford Court and Orchard St, Epping was blocked by fallen trees for much of yesterday (Wednesday) morning. Macquarie Park-bound route 550 (and likely some 630) services were diverted via the Epping-bound routing of route 546 (Dunrossil Ave and Ray Road) between Carlingford Court and Ray/Midson Roads before itreturned to its usual routing on Carlingford Road (via Midson Road) at Epping in order to continue to Macquarie Park. This disruption to route 550 services meant that customers on Willoughby Street were left without a bus service for much of the first half of Wednesday.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

I am sure they could walk to the next available bus stop under the circumstances.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Government bus stack on the harbour bridge northbound this morning.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
swtt

Post by swtt »

Gotta love either no bus for 22 min, and then all three routes turning up at once (on time too!)

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Route 410 is Transit Systems.
Living in the Shire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Fleet Lists wrote:Route 410 is Transit Systems.
Yes - but there's nowhere to post it otherwise. If I post it in Private Observations, it won't be 100% correct either.

My point being, the scheduling is definitely not coordinated and whilst it could be difficult to coordinate, I think the next step would be to increase the frequency of the services to plug the gaps.

Route 533 would be a good candidate route to get it bumped up from every 30 min to 20 or even 15 min.
bussie

Post by bussie »

swtt wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:Route 410 is Transit Systems.
Yes - but there's nowhere to post it otherwise. If I post it in Private Observations, it won't be 100% correct either.

My point being, the scheduling is definitely not coordinated and whilst it could be difficult to coordinate, I think the next step would be to increase the frequency of the services to plug the gaps.

Route 533 would be a good candidate route to get it bumped up from every 30 min to 20 or even 15 min.
Transit Systems observations are in the Private Observations thread.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

It is quite clear that the 458 and 533 are not timetable coordinated, which does create a large service gap in service between Top Ryde and Rhodes Station where they share a route, and then two services close together. Again looking on a Sunday, the same issue seems to occur.

I think they should be able to properly coordinate the 458 and 533, but once you add the 410 into the mix it gets messy. The 410 also runs a lot more frequently, and services a similar, but not same corridor. It is also clearly a wider issue across the network.

If we are making an observation relevant to both STA and TSA (or any other private STA shares territory with), should we post it in both the STA and Private Observations? 458 and 533 are STA, 410 TSA. Its hard to make a choice.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA 14.5s 28/01/93 - 05/12/19
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

No we dont to want to post in both. I think at least until the new contracts are out any subject like this should be posted in this (STA thread). When in an earlier post I pointed out that route 410 was TSA it was not because of a posting problem as such, but to point out the difficulty of coordinating it and the other two routes.
The other option is to post the subject in a separate thread.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

It mightn't be a problem after next year.
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Fleet Lists wrote:the difficulty of coordinating it and the other two routes.
Is this too fine detail for TfNSW to fine tune and demand operators alter in order to shrink the service gap?

This is just one of such examples - 525/526 is another one! :(
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes they might just be examples but once you look at the hundreds of routes in Sydney it becomes an absolute impossibility to coordinate all routes between operators. And will be more so if regions 7, 8 and 9 go to different operators.
I believe in Victoria they have up to a point overcome this by PTV creating all timetables without operator involvement.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

An unusual sight for an STA bus - 2966ST on a COVID-19 hotel run loading through the rear door. Lucky for those suitcase owners it's a bus with a stepless entry. STA has been silly enough to also allocate some Bustechs to that job, judging by other press photos. News Corp photo:

Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Post by Merc1107 »

While I imagine the STA will already have an established cleaning/disinfection regime for service buses, truthfully, I'm surprised the Government hasn't given this work to private operators with coaches who could accomodate the passenger's luggage more easily. If PPE for drivers, or cleaning/disinfection afterwards is a problem, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to have this organised to occur.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote:While I imagine the STA will already have an established cleaning/disinfection regime for service buses, truthfully, I'm surprised the Government hasn't given this work to private operators with coaches who could accomodate the passenger's luggage more easily. If PPE for drivers, or cleaning/disinfection afterwards is a problem, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to have this organised to occur.
Coaches aren't accessible. There are a lot of older pax on cruises. There's no problem with luggage on a low-entry bus provided there's enough low floor space. For this type of work there's a big issue with stairs at doors on single deckers and double deck buses and trains in general.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Post by Merc1107 »

Think it depends how many there are on the bus and how much luggage they have. If the low-floor space is occupied by luggage, passengers are now back to mountaineering to get to their seats. Mind you, probably not quite as bad as the steps on a coach.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote:Think it depends how many there are on the bus and how much luggage they have. If the low-floor space is occupied by luggage, passengers are now back to mountaineering to get to their seats. Mind you, probably not quite as bad as the steps on a coach.
Yes I think if you have a lot of people all with luggage a coach with luggage bins will do the job better, albeit to the exclusion of the mobility-impaired, but I understand on this shuttle they weren't always dealing with full loads. Having been a regular user of Transperth buses to and from the airport, I know there's not a great problem accessing the initial entry from the kerb (if the bus kneels) and then rolling it along the floor, but if there are more stairs inside after that, it's a complete show-stopper, except for any young Schwartzeneggers who happen to be travelling. The STA driver in the above photo doesn't appear to have kneeled the bus to assist boarders.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Merc1107 wrote:While I imagine the STA will already have an established cleaning/disinfection regime for service buses, truthfully, I'm surprised the Government hasn't given this work to private operators with coaches who could accomodate the passenger's luggage more easily. If PPE for drivers, or cleaning/disinfection afterwards is a problem, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to have this organised to occur.
There are cleaners located at Northern Lands car park which has now become the lay over for buses, each bus the operates a trip retuns to the lay over area to be cleaned before the bus operates its next trip.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Two possible issues:
1. Putting luggage into underfloor bins requires handling by the driver or other operative to load/unload. Are they likely to be affected by infected surfaces?

2. Having a lot of luggage in the low floor section of a normal bus would pose a safety risk unless there was some form of restraint provided. These are inbound travellers so are probably not travelling light.
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I would think 1. is an problem at the moment.

Re 2, yes passengers have to hang onto their bags or they rollaway across the floor on the first fast corner. Been there, done that! But it's little different to a pram etc.
Stu

Post by Stu »

boronia wrote:Two possible issues:
1. Putting luggage into underfloor bins requires handling by the driver or other operative to load/unload. Are they likely to be affected by infected surfaces?

2. Having a lot of luggage in the low floor section of a normal bus would pose a safety risk unless there was some form of restraint provided. These are inbound travellers so are probably not travelling light.
Drivers were instructed not to handle luggage, any luggage was handled by the passengers and by the Army soldiers. I wouldn't be surprised is excess and/or bulky luggage was loaded into the luggage bins of a coach that followed the accessible bus to the hotel.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

tonyp wrote:
Coaches aren't accessible. There are a lot of older pax on cruises. There's no problem with luggage on a low-entry bus provided there's enough low floor space. For this type of work there's a big issue with stairs at doors on single deckers and double deck buses and trains in general.
Plenty of private buses are also being used - Telfords, Transdev, CDC etc. High floor, low floors and coaches.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”