NSW Railway Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by boronia »

There are LVR steam shuttles between Clarendon and Richmond today, wonder if this has anything to do with it?
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

swtt wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:Cant find any alert for this - Why would an issue at Clarendon mean extra stops at Pendle Hill Toongabbie and Wentworthville?
Because they're usually served by Richmond services on the weekend.

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk
I caught an inbound service from Parramatta yesterday at about 12:40pm (ex-Penrith train) which was running a few minutes late due to the extra stops it had made. The services from Richmond, which were already running late due to the issue at Clarendon, were being altered to skip those stations which allowed them to recover some of their lateness.

Presumably it was being done to maintain a more even headway between services.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Also possible that a train was "trapped" at Richmond.
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

T78/T108 on waratah run board 131b

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Stonesourscotty wrote:T78/T108 on waratah run board 131b

This would happen a lot on sector 1 lines (T1 and T9) when a Waratah goes for routine maintenance K and C sets are mainly used as relief trains when this is the case on sector 2 lines (T2,T3 and T8)
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

There will be 8tph between Lidcombe and Regent's Park this weekend, which is 300% increase from the normal 2tph. :shock:
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Alert https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6039677 explains that but I cant see the reason for the unusual extension of the Homebush trains to Liverpool via Regents Park this weekend.
Living in the Shire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Fleet Lists wrote:Alert https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6039677 explains that but I cant see the reason for the unusual extension of the Homebush trains to Liverpool via Regents Park this weekend.
Usual Liverpool via Bankstown services axed. A simple extension of the Homebush trains to Liverpool to provide a service to the section of T3 that doesn't have trackwork.
BroadGauge

Post by BroadGauge »

swtt wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:Alert https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6039677 explains that but I cant see the reason for the unusual extension of the Homebush trains to Liverpool via Regents Park this weekend.
Usual Liverpool via Bankstown services axed. A simple extension of the Homebush trains to Liverpool to provide a service to the section of T3 that doesn't have trackwork.
It seems quite odd that they have decided to extend all Homebush trains to Liverpool, rather than every second service.

Generally the only time that more than a 30 minute frequency is available for the stations between Carramar and Sefton is during peak hours, in the peak direction of travel, but this weekend there is a 15 minute service running from early until late!

On some trackwork weekends, like a couple of weeks ago when there was a closure on the East Hills line, they run a more frequent service along that section but the additional services run express through those stations.
Stonesourscotty

A v set just overtook a v set (22) at St Mary's the train on the slows overtook the one on the fasts Penrith bound. Might be because of the delays around Harris Park

BroadGauge

Post by BroadGauge »

I'm not sure what it was for, but during the daytime some Southern Highlands services were built up to 4 cars today. It's quite unusual to see a double consist on the Campbelltown to Moss Vale runs.

I also noticed a steam locomotive with carriages go past between Tahmoor and Picton around 11:20am. I'm assuming it must have been an empty transfer to somewhere as I wasn't aware of there being any trips on the line today.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

BroadGauge wrote:I also noticed a steam locomotive with carriages go past between Tahmoor and Picton around 11:20am. I'm assuming it must have been an empty transfer to somewhere as I wasn't aware of there being any trips on the line today.
There was a trip today, Saturday, September 28, "Southern Highlander", taking Passengers from Sydney to Moss Vale and return. Steam between Picton and Moss Vale. Tabled to depart Picton 1115 and pass Tahmoor 1122 hours.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

BroadGauge wrote:I also noticed a steam locomotive with carriages go past between Tahmoor and Picton around 11:20am. I'm assuming it must have been an empty transfer to somewhere as I wasn't aware of there being any trips on the line today.
Timings here
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

BroadGauge wrote:I'm not sure what it was for, but during the daytime some Southern Highlands services were built up to 4 cars today. It's quite unusual to see a double consist on the Campbelltown to Moss Vale runs.
The Bowral Tulip festival is on about now, which at a guess might attract more than the normal number of passengers?
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
BroadGauge

Post by BroadGauge »

pgt wrote:
BroadGauge wrote:I'm not sure what it was for, but during the daytime some Southern Highlands services were built up to 4 cars today. It's quite unusual to see a double consist on the Campbelltown to Moss Vale runs.
The Bowral Tulip festival is on about now, which at a guess might attract more than the normal number of passengers?
Possibly, though they were still running built up consists until midnight! I caught the 10:24pm Moss Vale train from Campbelltown last night and it was a 4 car set with the rear two cars locked off.

Given that weekend trains run anything up to two and a half hours apart, like that wonderful gap between the 4:05pm and 6:35pm trains from Moss Vale, personally I would have thought using those resources to run a few extra trips might be a little bit more helpful :twisted:
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

BroadGuage wrote:
Given that weekend trains run anything up to two and a half hours apart, like that wonderful gap between the 4:05pm and 6:35pm trains from Moss Vale, personally I would have thought using those resources to run a few extra trips might be a little bit more helpful :twisted:
Way to discourage car dependence. What a joke. As soon as you put one foot out of rat-raceland Sydney, watch the world class diminish before your eyes.
Global w̶a̶r̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ hoax.
With the left in charge the future is doomed.
So sick of transit hobbyist's superior attitudes.
NSW will never reach the level of greatness under Wran ever again.
Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

Spotted the Dubbo XPT on platform 1 at Penrith this morning after a "mechanical failure". The train later departed towards the city and road coaches ran instead of the train.

Yesterday the train failed at Orange where passengers were put onto coaches between Orange and Dubbo and vice versa with the train running back from Orange as a passenger service.

Lets see if it makes a full trip tomorrow.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk
boronia

Post by boronia »

Might end up with XPLs :idea:
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Hard to believe they came out in 1975 (the design).
Stonesourscotty

Surely they could get a few hsts in for spares?

Swift

Post by Swift »

Got to say, much like the Ansair Orana bus, the HST & it's Australian XPT offshoot have aged well and the public are unlikely to pick that they are over three decades old.
They add flair to our country train network in an otherwise bland fleet of Endevours and Explorers with no effort made by the designers to give them any style.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stonesourscotty wrote:Surely they could get a few hsts in for spares?

I think the XPT differs from the HST in so many respects that the HST would have no value as a source of spares.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
Swift

Post by Swift »

Maybe import the locomotive ends to use complete and paint them up in NSW Trains scheme, assuming they could be adapted to couple up with our carriages.
Stonesourscotty

From what I read on rail forums the hst could be used as spares for the xpt

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stonesourscotty wrote:From what I read on rail forums the hst could be used as spares for the xpt

Maybe the Paxman engines, maybe there's something common in the bogies, everything else, dimensions etc has major differences.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”