Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:18 am
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by boronia »

Who is the current "manager"? Years ago Hawkesford had it, then I think CDC took it over.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
Daniel
Administrator
Posts: 7059
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:03 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'
Location: Sutherland Shire

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by Daniel »

Linto63 wrote:For the past couple of weeks, NSW TrainLink seems to have a fleet of 4 coaches crewed and ready to go in the Western Forecourt carpark throughout the day. Was Port Stephens Coaches for a while, then Australia Wide Coaches and last week All Starr and Crowthers. Has been in periods when no long distance replacements were scheduled, maybe a contingency should one of the increasingly unreliable XPTs go pop?
Correct. Currently there are no spare power cars and those out there are being worked harder to cover the shortfall - so they assume another will go pop and are “planning ahead”.
User avatar
Cowra
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:54 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Old ones.
Location: The Red Lines

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by Cowra »

boronia wrote:Who is the current "manager"? Years ago Hawkesford had it, then I think CDC took it over.
Transport for NSW looked after the Pitt St bays, Sydney Trains took bookings for the Western Forecourt bays. Also STA have opened 6 bays in Lee St Layover for coach parking, bookings through STA as far as I understand.
Ringer of bus bells and tram gongs.
User avatar
gilberations
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:36 am

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by gilberations »

Daniel wrote:
Linto63 wrote:For the past couple of weeks, NSW TrainLink seems to have a fleet of 4 coaches crewed and ready to go in the Western Forecourt carpark throughout the day. Was Port Stephens Coaches for a while, then Australia Wide Coaches and last week All Starr and Crowthers. Has been in periods when no long distance replacements were scheduled, maybe a contingency should one of the increasingly unreliable XPTs go pop?
Correct. Currently there are no spare power cars and those out there are being worked harder to cover the shortfall - so they assume another will go pop and are “planning ahead”.
That’s something I liked when working for NSW Trainlink. Their managers truly are customer focused. That’s why you see more and more that if they can physically get the train from A to Z they’ll do it, even if it means traveling via B C D E and so on, hence why there’s more frequent use of West trains via Bankstown and so on


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Linto63
Posts: 1212
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by Linto63 »

gilberations wrote:That’s why you see more and more that if they can physically get the train from A to Z they’ll do it, even if it means traveling via B C D E and so on, hence why there’s more frequent use of West trains via Bankstown and so on.
There does appear to have been an effort in the past year or so to try and keep the trains running rather than blanket bustitutions, by using diversionary routes or less frequent services.
User avatar
jpp42
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by jpp42 »

Daniel wrote:. Currently there are no spare power cars and those out there are being worked harder to cover the shortfall - so they assume another will go pop and are “planning ahead”.
Is this a permanent situation until NIF launches, or are the out of service cars able to be repaired?
User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:18 am
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by boronia »

Presumably these buses are for regional services, not inter-city?

But often there are buses on standby at Penrith when there is the slightest hint of problems on BMT.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
Daniel
Administrator
Posts: 7059
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:03 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'
Location: Sutherland Shire

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by Daniel »

jpp42 wrote:
Daniel wrote:. Currently there are no spare power cars and those out there are being worked harder to cover the shortfall - so they assume another will go pop and are “planning ahead”.
Is this a permanent situation until NIF launches, or are the out of service cars able to be repaired?
Temporary until parts are available and repairs can be undertaken.
User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:18 am
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by boronia »

Occaisonal use of XPLs on Dubbo services may be a result of XP shortages.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:18 am
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by boronia »

jpp42 wrote:
Daniel wrote:. Currently there are no spare power cars and those out there are being worked harder to cover the shortfall - so they assume another will go pop and are “planning ahead”.
Is this a permanent situation until NIF launches, or are the out of service cars able to be repaired?
The NIF won't help, I think the problem is in the regional fleet, so problem will exist until that order is under way.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
burrumbus
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by burrumbus »

Murrays have the contract to manage the Central Station coach terminal.
All operators who want to use the facilty have to reapply to Murrays.
User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:18 am
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by boronia »

The coach terminal office on G concourse re-opened today as the ARHS Bookshop. It may be temporary as the lady in charge mentioned something another location being renovated.

She also mentioned that the Redfern shop would be moving to new premises in Henderson Rd.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:18 am
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: Central Station Coach Terminal to relocate

Post by boronia »

I noticed this morning that the "inbound" bus stop bay on the southern side of Eddy Ave has now been signposted "NO STOPPING - COACHES EXCEPTED"
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
Post Reply

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”