Hopkinsons sold.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Re: Private Operators March 2015

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Spotted an ex-Hopkinsons Scania K124EB/QCC-either TV 326 or TV 329-at Blacktown Interchange today, with Nowra Coaches accreditation. Seems like a recent sale in my opinion...
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Keep in mind that Kiama are taking over Hoppies and that Kiama comes under the same ownership as Nowra.
Living in the Shire.
crazyturbo76

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Fleet Lists wrote:Keep in mind that Kiama are taking over Hoppies and that Kiama comes under the same ownership as Nowra.
I must have forgotten that Hoppies are being taken over by them... looked a bit suspicious at first because of the accreditation.
BW44YS
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405

Post by BW44YS »

Would have been TV326 TV329 Is now a Coach Consepts And when Is the takeover date ?
Join My Facebook Group's

Busways Group-Rowes Bus Service
https://www.facebook.com/groups/276161732537378/
andyr

Hopkinsons sold to Premier?

Post by andyr »

Have noted one of the Hopkinsons Higers parked up at Argyle Street sporting Premier South Nowra accreditation - dry hire or signs of a sale??
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Hopkinsons sold? Split from Skybus sold

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have consolidated all the various posts on this subject into this thread which makes it appear as though the sale has taken place under the Premier name.
Living in the Shire.
burrumbus

Re: Hopkinsons sold.

Post by burrumbus »

Good afternoon everyone.
My understanding is that the business of Hopkinsons was sold to Nowra Coaches Pty.Ltd,South Nowra as from 1/3/15.Nowra Coaches Pty.Ltd is owned by John and Simone King.
To clarify Kiama Coaches is majority owned by John King's brother Gerard King.
Hope this helps.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Are the Sampsons still involved with Kiama?

And didn't they have operations in Queensland?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Good afternoon Boronia.
George Sampson sold Kiama Coaches to a partnership of Gerard King and his daughter Loreen through a company called Pheasant Pty.Ltd in 1992.Gerard King later purchased the shareholding of Loreen.
George Sampson also operated Sampsons Tours in Proserpine in Queensland.This was sold to Colin Crossley in the mid 1990s through Whitsunday Transit Pty.Ltd.Still owned by the Crossley family.
Hope this helps.
David10

Hopkinsons sold

Post by David10 »

Seem to recall that Nowra Coaches was formed in the 1980s when the Nowra route business of Sampsons were purchased. Sampson also owned Goldrush Tours in Kalgoorlie and I believe had an involvement in SC Tours in Sydney. The MAN coaches seemed to rotate between the Kiama, Proserpine, Kalgoorlie & Sydney.operations.
burrumbus

Re: Hopkinsons sold

Post by burrumbus »

David10 wrote:Seem to recall that Nowra Coaches was formed in the 1980s when the Nowra route business of Sampsons were purchased. Sampson also owned Goldrush Tours in Kalgoorlie and I believe had an involvement in SC Tours in Sydney. The MAN coaches seemed to rotate between the Kiama, Proserpine, Kalgoorlie & Sydney.operations.
Good morning David10.If you go to the fleetlists section under Nowra Coaches,check the operator info there.It gives an accurate account of Nowra Coaches history under John King's ownership.
Sampson did part own SC Tours -but sold that business to his partner.Sampsons ,I believe,still own Goldrush Tours in Kalgoorlie.George Sampson passed away several years ago,but I think his family still own it.
George Sampson was an original partner with Lance Francis,Graham Leishman and Neil Smith in Swan Transit in Perth.He sold that shareholding quite early in the piece I believe.A very clever,innovative operator George Sampson was,in my humble opinion.
Hope this helps.
Busman69

Post by Busman69 »

burrumbus wrote: To clarify Kiama Coaches is majority owned by John King's brother Gerard King.
Hope this helps.
Not sure where you get your information from but I can guarantee this is NOT correct. John King purchased Greens (as initially posted by myself) in early February. At around the same time, he purchased a 51% share holding in Kiama - to help his brother Gerard out (who, as it was correctly posted earlier, acquired his ex wife's shares when they divorced a few years ago -- she is George Sampson's daughter - Lauren).

The employees at Hopkinsons were notified via a locker room note that KIAMA COACHLINES had purchased Hopkinsons - and Gerard has physically been seen at the depot a couple of times and addressed himself to staff as the 'new boss'. Interestingly, the accreditations on all ex Hoppies vehicles carry the NOWRA Coaches accreditation. So I am not sure 'who' actually has bought Hopkinsons, as Gerard has no shareholding in Nowra (or Premier), just a minority shareholding in Kiama - but is addressing himself as the buyer/new owner of Hopkinsons.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thank you Busman69 for the clarification re the Kiama Coaches ownership.It has obviously changed from the info I had.
The info I have is that Nowra Coaches Pty.Ltd purchased the business of Hopkinsons on 1/3/15.All the ex Hoppies coaches seen thus far have Nowra accreditation.Nowra is owned by John King.Perhaps John has appointed Gerard as the manager of the business there??
Again thanks for the clarification..
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

There was at least one Hopkinson's coach on standby at all times over the weekend for southern highlands rail replacement with the Nowra accreditation and it is a Premier replacement contract. Not sure if that means the Hopkinsons chinese buses as this one have been relocated to Nowra or not... I might have a look in at the yard next time I am down there.
Job done.
David10

Hopkinsons sold

Post by David10 »

To further muddy the waters, Hopkinsons TV330 sighted today with accreditation for Kiama Coaches Pty Ltd - A Premier Transport Group company.
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

That massive factory fire last Saturday was apparently only a few doors down from Hoppy's yard.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

stajourneyman wrote:That massive factory fire last Saturday was apparently only a few doors down from Hoppy's yard.
What does the fire have to do with Hoppy's apart from being near the yard?

On another note, saw the CB80 m/o 497 today, still has HOPKINSONS on its desto, I would think majority of the public would still see it as Hopkinsons.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I appreciated the orientation in relation to Hoppies.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Keep an eye out around Hopkinsons operating area - some vehicles are slated to come up from Wollongong soon to supplement similar buses that recently had some controversial make overs when painted silver 18 months or so ago.....
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Drove past their depot yesterday (Monday 13th) no signs of any out of place vehicles. I did note through the gate that there were 3 vehicles with the 'controversial makeovers' that Simes refers to - PMC bodies with Custom fronts blended in.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
boronia

Post by boronia »

BAMBAM wrote:
stajourneyman wrote:That massive factory fire last Saturday was apparently only a few doors down from Hoppy's yard.
What does the fire have to do with Hoppy's apart from being near the yard?

On another note, saw the CB80 m/o 497 today, still has HOPKINSONS on its desto, I would think majority of the public would still see it as Hopkinsons.
Large fires like that one usually result in smoke and debris fallout around adjacent areas, so there is possibility of damage to the vehicles.

If the buses still have full Hopkinson's livery, what is wrong with having it on the desto's too? The actual ownership/accreditation is irrelevant.
@ The Museum of Fire.
David10

Hopkinsons sold

Post by David10 »

Appears that the Hopkinsons trading name, at least in the immediate future, is being retained. Legal signwriting aside, there has been no application of Premier branding to vehicles or the depot, unlike Green's where the Premier brand was rolled out almost immediately including a sign at Thirroul depot. Did see a Premier Illawarra PMC Metro 90 bodied bus (presumably a Mercedes O405} heading south on Pennant Hills Rd on Saturday 11/04, so maybe the arrivals have started?

The fleet list is still showing m/o 497 Volvo B12BLE / CC as in the fleet. Is this an error or was it purchased independently of the Region 3 contract?
crazyturbo76

Post by crazyturbo76 »

David10 wrote:Appears that the Hopkinsons trading name, at least in the immediate future, is being retained. Legal signwriting aside, there has been no application of Premier branding to vehicles or the depot, unlike Green's where the Premier brand was rolled out almost immediately including a sign at Thirroul depot. Did see a Premier Illawarra PMC Metro 90 bodied bus (presumably a Mercedes O405} heading south on Pennant Hills Rd on Saturday 11/04, so maybe the arrivals have started?

The fleet list is still showing m/o 497 Volvo B12BLE / CC as in the fleet. Is this an error or was it purchased independently of the Region 3 contract?
It was purchased independent of the Region 3 contract-that CB80 I believe is fitted with luggage provisions and whatnot.
boronia

Re: Hopkinsons sold

Post by boronia »

David10 wrote:Appears that the Hopkinsons trading name, at least in the immediate future, is being retained. Legal signwriting aside, there has been no application of Premier branding to vehicles or the depot, unlike Green's where the Premier brand was rolled out almost immediately including a sign at Thirroul depot. Did see a Premier Illawarra PMC Metro 90 bodied bus (presumably a Mercedes O405} heading south on Pennant Hills Rd on Saturday 11/04, so maybe the arrivals have started?
For a predominately route service, passengers aren't too concerned with the operators' names. It would make more sense to have the entire network under the one brand, even though the identity is being suppressed under TfNSW

With a long established, respected, name in the charter business like Hopkinsons, it woud be business suicide to suddenly rebrand it. Same could be said for Telfords.
@ The Museum of Fire.
David10

Hopkinsons sold

Post by David10 »

boronia wrote:With a long established, respected, name in the charter business like Hopkinsons, it woud be business suicide to suddenly rebrand it.
Agree, there is 35 years of accumulated goodwill attached to the name, would be silly to throw it away.

Presumably the Premier Motor Services vehicles now lay up at Smithfield, they used to stable at the former Crossley depot in Regents Park, but that was some years ago and may have changed.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”