New Transport Info Centre at Central

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: New Transport Info Centre at Central

Post by boronia »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
jpp42 wrote:The problem with both of these facilities- the NSWRTM display and AHRS Bookshop - was their limited hours when Central is busiest - during commuting hours and at weekends. The NSWRTM shopfront wasn't even open Saturdays!
They are open on Saturdays, and some other days, such as when certain tour trains operate.
I am under the impression that it is no longer open at all. Been this way since before Xmas. I went past this evening and it looks "abandoned" inside, including signage that "exhibition now closed".

I did find it disappointing that ARHS did not open on Sundays being in a prime position like that. This "fear" of penalty rates ruins a lot of good businesses.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

I allways thought that a manager was the only paid employee at the r a h s bookshop and the others were volenters! :roll: :?
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

It was definitely opened this week.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

boronia wrote:
I did find it disappointing that ARHS did not open on Sundays being in a prime position like that. This "fear" of penalty rates ruins a lot of good businesses.

It was tried and wasn't worth the effort.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

The ARHS shop has a passing trade plus enthusiasts, can't ever have said the same for the NSWRTM location, it just seems to have attracted people who thought it was a ticket office. I do agree with the comment that kids could have been better targeted, but would that would have helped it stay there in the end ?
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Tonymercury wrote:
boronia wrote:

It was tried and wasn't worth the effort.
Tony,
When I spoke to the manager he said it was only trialled for a few weeks, some years ago, before the Family Funday Sunday began. Retailers have to keep in mind that it takes a while to build up custom, plus even the Funday Sunday took quite a while to come to the popularity level it has now. The manager was also extremely dismissive of the idea that families would have any interest in coming to the bookshop. I found this disheartening. Did you see my comments earlier regarding appealing to multiple demographics? Why couldn't the bookshop think about how to expand their patronage?
David10

New Transport Info Centre at Central

Post by David10 »

Has been over a year since work commenced on this. Obviously hard to tell exactly what is going on behind frosted glass, but there appears to have been no action in recent months. Maybe is is ready to go, just waiting the arrival of Gladys to cut the ribbon...perhaps in that important week ending 28 March? :o
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

David10 wrote:Has been over a year since work commenced on this. Obviously hard to tell exactly what is going on behind frosted glass, but there appears to have been no action in recent months. Maybe is is ready to go, just waiting the arrival of Gladys to cut the ribbon...perhaps in that important week ending 28 March? :o
What work? Nothing has been done. It was just an excuse to kick the ARHS & RTM out.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Too late, for now to open anything ie. write the complimentary press release: https://www.nsw.gov.au/nsw-caretaker-period-begins
boronia

Post by boronia »

I noticed today that the advertising around the old info booth includes "pick up and top up your Opal card"
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Central is the only CBD station listed to get one of those in the first run as far as I can see.
Living in the Shire.
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

boronia wrote:I noticed today that the advertising around the old info booth includes "pick up and top up your Opal card"
Yep - follows on from the Information Centre at Circular Quay, and the Transport shops at Wynyard and Railway Square.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
Rad

Post by Rad »

Will the new booth being constructed on the concourse take the place of what was proposed for the old Heritage Central? I have noticed that for the past week there are lights on in Heritage Central but I don't see much has been done since the work on the floors. Does anypone have more info?
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

According to a sign on the door at the ARHS's Redfern headquarters, the bookshop will close this week and reopen in May on the Grand Concourse at Central. Good news, thought it was scandalous they were given the boot from there in the first place, IIRC they were told some bollocks by TfNSW about other prospective tenants wanting to pay more, only for it to then sit empty for years. But now all of the spaces are occupied, maybe it will be one of the empty shops on Eddy Avenue instead?
boronia

Post by boronia »

IIRC, the "Heritage Centre" (ARHS and RTM) was closed with the intention of setting up the Transport Information Centre there. Perhaps the attraction of commercial rent forced a change of mind, especially after the fire?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The Visitor Centre and Coach Station shop on the main concourse opposite Platform 1 has closed, coinciding with Murrays taking over the management of the coach bays. Presumably this is where the ARHS bookshop will go. Depending on the fit out, will probably be a bit less floor space than at Redfern and certainly a fair bit narrower than the previous shop in the old booking hall.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Linto63 wrote:The Visitor Centre and Coach Station shop on the main concourse opposite Platform 1 has closed
But opposite Platform 1 would be Platform 2 wouldn't it? :lol:

Seriously though, is that where you can store your luggage near the toilets?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
boronia

Post by boronia »

The baggage storage is till there in the n/w corner, but the "Coach Terminal" a bit further in has closed. No signage about it. I'm not sure what Murrays involvement will be, they still have there own office in Pitt St, but there seemed to be a lot of staff behind the counter this afternoon.

I thought the terminal handled bookings and loadings for Greyhound and PSC. not sure how it will work now.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Greyhound have a shop in Rawson Place. There was a sign outside the old Visitor Centre and Coach Station stating it was relocating, I think to 810 George Street.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

On my first visit to Central in 4 months, notice that the ARHS has vacated it bookshop on the Grand Concourse, with the site being used as a Sydney Trains staff COVID-19 testing centre.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Not sure if they'll continue to have a Central presence in another location there, but their main research centre and bookstore and cafeteria is at
5 Henderson Rd. Alexandria. This is about a 10 minute walk from Redfern Station. Checked their website and it's now open Tues to Fri from 9.00am to 3.00pm. Usual Covid protocols to visit that are currently in place.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Glen

Post by Glen »

Centralian wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:30 pm Not sure if they'll continue to have a Central presence in another location there
The ARHS Bookshop won't be returning to Central Station.

https://arhsnsw.com.au/covid-update-from-arhsnsw-board/

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”