CBD & South East Light Rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Re: Light rail gets the green light: stage 1 UNSW to CBD

Post by J_Busworth »

Trams departing Circular Quay appear to either be displaying L2 Randwick or L3 Central Chalmers Street. This suggests to me that the eventual Kingsford trams will initially only operate between CQ and Central
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
swtt

Post by swtt »

J_Busworth wrote:Trams departing Circular Quay appear to either be displaying L2 Randwick or L3 Central Chalmers Street. This suggests to me that the eventual Kingsford trams will initially only operate between CQ and Central
So the city section will run at full frequency before having those short runners extend to Kingsford in March 2020?

Sent from my Huawei P30 Pro using Tapatalk
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

swtt wrote:So the city section will run at full frequency before having those short runners extend to Kingsford in March 2020?
Yes
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

https://sydneylightrail.transport.nsw.g ... il-opening

New speed limits to improve safety ahead of CBD and South East Light Rail opening
25 November 2019
New speed limits will be introduced to improve safety for all road users around the CBD and South East Light Rail route.

From 1 December 2019, speed limits will be reduced on roads along the light rail route in the Sydney CBD, Surry Hills, Moore Park, Centennial Park, Randwick, Kensington and Kingsford. Speed limits will also be reduced on some roads in Surry Hills and Darlinghurst to create a consistent speed limit.

“Safety is our number one priority and we’ve introduced a lot of measures to educate the community about being safe around trams including our ‘Heads Up, Play it Safe around Light Rail’ campaign and regular engagement with community groups and schools,” Transport for NSW Coordinator General Marg Prendergast said.

“The reduced speed limits will improve safety around the new light rail ahead of the first passenger services starting in December, especially in areas where pedestrian activity is high.”

Following a speed zone review, the following changes will be made to speed limits:

George Street, between Hunter Street and Bathurst Street, Sydney, reduced from 40 km/h to 20 km/h
Chalmers Street, between Randle Street and Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills, reduced from 40 km/h to 20 km/h
Anzac Parade, between Abbotford Street and Sturt Street, Kensington/Kingsford, reduced from 60 km/h to 50 km/h
Anzac Parade, approx. 280m south of Moore Park Road to Abbotford Street, Kensington, reduced from 70 km/h to 60 km/h
Alison Road, between Anzac Parade and Darley Road, reduced from 70 km/h to 60 km/h
High Street, between Wansey Road and Avoca Street, Randwick, reduced from 50 km/h to 40 km/h and classed as a High Pedestrian Activity Area
Parts of Surry Hills and Darlinghurst speed limit revised to 40 km/h to ensure a consistent speed limit on side streets and main roads.
“It’s also important to note that speed limits are a maximum, not a target, and apply to both trams and vehicles,” Ms Prendergast said.

“Additionally, there are lower advisory speed limits for trams on many sections of the light rail, including high pedestrian areas on Devonshire and George streets.

“Tram drivers are also being trained to drive to the conditions, which includes different risk profiles along different sections of the light rail route.”

The speed zone reduction will help create a safer environment for all road users as well as improve consistency on the road network for people heading towards and away from the CBD and the eastern suburbs.

Motorists are reminded to drive safely and remain alert of the changed traffic conditions.

jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

tonyp wrote:^^
1. Exactly what I said ten years ago during the initial design planning, but of course TfNSW are the experts.... There should actually be a dedicated platform for each route. Trams shouldn't randomly go into any platform. Are they?
I suppose the Randwick trams were on the track closest to CQ station and the Chalmers St ones on the middle road. I didn't realise it was dedicated though, there was no signage at the ends of the platform, and the PIDS were set to a "testing only" pattern (and were hard to read from far away anyway, since they're at the middle rather than the ends that you must approach this island platform from).
2. What do you call the up and down track? The three track design is to cater for a future headway of 2 minutes. At the present the tracks in regular use should be only the two northernmost. The southernmost track should be in reserve should the operation go pear shaped and there's a pile-up of trams. (Let's guess - the third platform will be in regular use.)
Well, given TfNSW is operating this as a railroad, I figured railroad terminology like up/down and "roads" would be appropriate :) Up would be the main track heading towards CQ.

Figures that the southernmost terminating track, which has the best platform - with perfect easy access from the large office buildings to the south - would not be in regular use.
4. Exactly. The six "rails" in the ground are also an eyesore imho. Don't see the alleged aesthetic point of APS.
Personally, I think that part is fine... I think the paving treatments are quite attractive.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

jpp42 wrote: I suppose the Randwick trams were on the track closest to CQ station and the Chalmers St ones on the middle road. I didn't realise it was dedicated though, there was no signage at the ends of the platform, and the PIDS were set to a "testing only" pattern (and were hard to read from far away anyway, since they're at the middle rather than the ends that you must approach this island platform from).
I don't know whether each platform is dedicated to a route. We'll see when it starts public operation. I guess a mitigating factor is that, provided they keep the regular operation to the northern platform only, then the trams are on either side of the same platform and it's easy to switch over if one is leaving first or you've got on the tram to the wrong destination and you want to change. If the operation runs smoothly, there'll only be one tram at the stop at any time in any case. I'll be interested to see whether they're going to use relay drivers at Circular Quay.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

jpp42 wrote: Well, given TfNSW is operating this as a railroad, I figured railroad terminology like up/down and "roads" would be appropriate :)
That helps back up my assertion that this amounts to a street train. Even the stops are railway station like in appearance. I earlier referred to the tracks as railway lines, much to the chagrin of some posters. Anzac Pd, Allison Rd and South Dowling St are the level crossings, the rest is segregated railway track. Maybe they should have just used ballast instead of setting it all in concrete.
By and large, this amounts to the railway Kingsford missed on 40 years ago.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

tonyp wrote: I don't know whether each platform is dedicated to a route. We'll see when it starts public operation..
The lack of shelter or PIDs on the southernmost platform does suggest it will receive limited usage.

Given it seems L2 and L3 will alternate it makes sense to have a dedicated platform for each on the island.

Running the L3s short to Central (although they could also have used Moore Park) was really the only way to do it - as otherwise there would have undoubtedly been overcrowding, complaints and a bad reputation on the city section.

Anyone seen which platform they are using at Central to turn L3 around?
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

moa999 wrote:
Anyone seen which platform they are using at Central to turn L3 around?
The platform numbering at Central Chalmers Street is weird. It is not '1 - 2 - 3'.
The platform nearest the railway is always through trams to the Quay.
The center track is currently being used for the L3 Central Chalmers Street 'terminators'.
The track nearest the dental hospital is being used for L2 Randwick.

I suspect the plan, in the end, is for L2 and L3 to use the same platform at Central and the center platform will be for short workings, either from Circular Quay or from Royal Randwick/Moore Park to Central special event services. The short workings should have a different route number :-)

I saw a tram pull into Central a short while ago with what I think was a message in French, but before I could put my lunch down, get out the phone and get it into camera mode, the display changed to L2 Circular Quay.

There was also a pile of guys in HiVis messing about with an Opal terminal, test fitting it. I presume, judging by the 'ernest' discussion that it wasn't fitting very well and they were working out how to fix this.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

With still no announcement it appears that a date of 7th December is starting to look pretty slim. That is the date I will be coming back into Sydney from a cruise, arriving the International Passenger terminal, but even it is due to start that day, I am booked with a group of people to travel back to the Shire at 9am so would miss it anyway.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tram failed across intersection of Alison and Darley during afternoon peak today -from "systems failure".
Swift

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote:With still no announcement it appears that a date of 7th December is starting to look pretty slim. That is the date I will be coming back into Sydney from a cruise, arriving the International Passenger terminal, but even it is due to start that day, I am booked with a group of people to travel back to the Shire at 9am so would miss it anyway.
If it continued beyond LaPerouse and under Botany Bay -and opened on time, you would be able to use it from the ship to the Sutherland Shire. Would probably take forever though.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Fleet Lists wrote:With still no announcement it appears that a date of 7th December is starting to look pretty slim. That is the date I will be coming back into Sydney from a cruise, arriving the International Passenger terminal, but even it is due to start that day, I am booked with a group of people to travel back to the Shire at 9am so would miss it anyway.
I was taking it would not start until after the 7th due to a festival at Centennial Park.

First time light rail crowds mixed with spectators? Potential nightmare for TfNSW
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: Island platforms are basically a no no in tram systems but TfNSW knows better.
Melbourne and Adelaide both have island platforms.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote:
tonyp wrote: Island platforms are basically a no no in tram systems but TfNSW knows better.
Melbourne and Adelaide both have island platforms.
Both cities introduced them under intense political pressure from the road administrations. Adelaide was new and there wasn't really anybody to argue the case against them. Now that it is a mature system with some knowledge and experience under its belt, new extensions are receiving side platforms. Yarra trams was unhappy about it ( even to the extent of their CEO delivering a conference paper about it in Sydney) but were politically overridden. Gold Coast started with a side platform design but had compromise forced for a couple of stops. TfNSW has no idea and will learn when crowds start falling off platforms that are too small to hold them. I think they have a couple of off-platform corrals for overflows, taking a leaf out of the cattle industry book.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

TRAFFIC LIGHT PHASING
There's still a 12 second delay at Devonshire / Chalmers, between when the tram clears the intersection and when the general traffic gets the "green". TfNSW says they're working on it. They'd better hurry.....
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I didn't time it, but the pedestrian crossing across the tracks there seemed to clear rather quickly after a tram passed this morning.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

lunchbox wrote:TRAFFIC LIGHT PHASING
There's still a 12 second delay at Devonshire / Chalmers, between when the tram clears the intersection and when the general traffic gets the "green". TfNSW says they're working on it. They'd better hurry.....
That's pretty good. At Darley-Alison Rds it's around 12 seconds before the phase change starts, but that's to send the westbound right turn and southbound left turn (which run together with the tram) crossing to red. So you wait 12 seconds for the tram to clear to amber, 4 seconds tram amber, then 4 seconds turning traffic amber, then all red.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

The 14th is set to be announced.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

Daniel wrote: The 14th is set to be announced.
Source? Apart from the fact that it's looking to be a more feasible date as the date draws nearer.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

STMPainter2018 wrote:Source?
This place isn't Wikipedia (mercifully). A simple thank you to a contributor who doesn't have a history of making statements without foundation and is sharing a bit of inside information would have been more appropriate.

With the 14th being a Saturday should spread the load a bit with those who want to ride it on day one paying full freight and those who want to do it on the cheap being able to travel on day two. Unless it is free on day one.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Daniel wrote:
The 14th is set to be announced.
They should have a tram in Christmas wrap.
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

In today's gazette, the alignment of Transitway 8009 (Sydney Light Rail transitway) was amended. Not sure if this is a hint that an opening date will be announced soon.
https://gazette.legislation.nsw.gov.au/ ... 19-156.pdf

For those curious, the main amendment is updating the alignment to the current 2019 alignment, as the previous alignment in the previous gazette (https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/business-ind ... sitway.pdf) was the 2015 proposed LR alignment. Also added is the alignment of the IWLR between Darling Drive and Castlereagh Street which was not previously gazetted as a transitway.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

Linto63 wrote:This place isn't Wikipedia (mercifully). A simple thank you to a contributor who doesn't have a history of making statements without foundation and is sharing a bit of inside information would have been more appropriate.
Don't get snarky with me sweetheart! You're only bitter cause I'm telling it like it is from my point of view and you can't handle it. And I've never said that anything I say was a statement; it is all just my OPINION, and it is based on foundation. Just ask other workshop volunteers at Loftus who've become friendly Transdev and know the inside deal if you don't believe me. If you don't like what I say you don't have to read it; that's what I'm doing with your posts from now on cause I have no time for you and your attacking attitude. So piss off!
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

I have also been led to believe that the 14th will be the opening day for a number of reasons, but I don't feel that it is 100% appropriate to divulge my sources. Sometimes, people are able to make a claim about a date but due to the prevailing circumstances can't tell you how or why they know. Our mods in particular are very in the know and they usually have very good sources, even if they don't always let us know exactly who they are.
Last edited by J_Busworth on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”