Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Engineering

Re: NSW Future Rail Plan - NWRL/Metro/Harbour Crossing

Post by Engineering »

andy_centralcoast wrote:A much different approach to the past when proposed timetables were widely available for comment by the community, and the proposed timetable was posted on the CityRail website and displayed on station posters that also outlined key changes.
Of course that was in the days when timetabling was seen as an operational issue.

Now it is highly political (both sides of politics guilty) where either the premier, minister and/or local member must be able to announce and get the complete credit for every micro change in scheduling or carriage numbers that might possibly benefit commuters, and any perceived negative (less trains at some stations or need for increased interchange) is never acknowledged.
ed24

Post by ed24 »

Any word on a possible extension of N91 to Rouse Hill as part of the line opening? (Hopefully for the sake of your avatar it won't change, swtt!)
swtt

Post by swtt »

ed24 wrote:Any word on a possible extension of N91 to Rouse Hill as part of the line opening? (Hopefully for the sake of your avatar it won't change, swtt!)
Wouldn't that simply be handled by 607x, or a 607N?

Sent from my Huawei Mate 20 Pro using Tapatalk
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

I presume we won't see any information regarding opening dates and bus plan changes until April 14th at the earliest? I'd expect the T-Way services (including the 607x) to remain unchanged for the time being, but not sure about others.

I miss the days of getting a STA "we might be change your service, what do you think?" brochure six months out, then a month before a detailed brochure of all the changes including the ways that "they listened".
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA 14.5s 28/01/93 - 05/12/19
swtt

Post by swtt »

I think it'll come out sooner than 14/4.

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Post by boronia »

J_Busworth wrote: I miss the days of getting a STA "we might be change your service, what do you think?" brochure six months out, then a month before a detailed brochure of all the changes including the ways that "they listened".
The usual responders to "community feedback" are people who are terrified of the word "change" and/or feel that PT should be tuned to their specific travel needs. Get feedback from 1000 people, you get 1000 different opinions.

The best example I've seen of this was in the Better Buses East plan back in the early 2000s. It was proposed that some Anzac Pde services would be diverted away from Taylor Square to speed up access to the CBD. The response was this would create extreme difficulty for elderly people needing to get to places like St Vincents Hospital, etc; this idea was canned. At the same time, it was proposed that some Clovelly services could actually be diverted to Taylor Square (perhaps to actually provide this connectivity) - but these customers overwhelmingly did not want this to happen. Nobody in Clovelly gets sick?

The days of pandering to personal preferences are long gone. Using Opal travel data wisely to meet the needs of a majority of travellers provides a better outcome.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

boronia wrote:
J_Busworth wrote: I miss the days of getting a STA "we might be change your service, what do you think?" brochure six months out, then a month before a detailed brochure of all the changes including the ways that "they listened".
The usual responders to "community feedback" are people who are terrified of the word "change" and/or feel that PT should be tuned to their specific travel needs. Get feedback from 1000 people, you get 1000 different opinions.

The best example I've seen of this was in the Better Buses East plan back in the early 2000s. It was proposed that some Anzac Pde services would be diverted away from Taylor Square to speed up access to the CBD. The response was this would create extreme difficulty for elderly people needing to get to places like St Vincents Hospital, etc; this idea was canned. At the same time, it was proposed that some Clovelly services could actually be diverted to Taylor Square (perhaps to actually provide this connectivity) - but these customers overwhelmingly did not want this to happen. Nobody in Clovelly gets sick?

The days of pandering to personal preferences are long gone. Using Opal travel data wisely to meet the needs of a majority of travellers provides a better outcome.
It is possible that the patients of St Vincents Hospital prefer to live along Anzac Pde (which has direct bus service) rather than Covelly (which does not have direct bus service).
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

swtt wrote:I think it'll come out sooner than 14/4.

I guess the data will be uploaded to Trip Planner in next couple of weeks. However, Transport for NSW will only launch a campaign to help make commuters aware of changes to buses in the north west about three weeks before they are introduced.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/new ... 511jw.html
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

I wonder when they'll officially announce renaming the Northern Line from T1 to T9 and returning it to its previous colour.

However this is a bit confusing to me, because the T9 trains from Hornsby via Epping will continue on to be Hornsby/Berowra via Gordon trains.

It would have made more sense to do T9 Northern & North Shore (red Hornsby Circle), and then have T1 Western & Richmond (yellow up to Lindfield).

Unless the timetable massively changes, at least on weekends the Sector 3 operating patterns are:
  • T1 Penrith to Lindfield via Central.
  • T1 Richmond to North Sydney via Central.
  • T9 Hornsby to Central via Epping, continuing as T1 Central to Hornsby/Berowra via Gordon.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It is nowhere near as clear cut during the week though with many trains from Hornsby continuing out west in the Parramatta direction and vice versa.
Living in the Shire.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

andy_centralcoast wrote:I wonder when they'll officially announce renaming the Northern Line from T1 to T9 and returning it to its previous colour.
According to https://transportnsw.info/future-trackwork-calendar

No later than May 11
swtt

Post by swtt »

andy_centralcoast wrote:I wonder when they'll officially announce renaming the Northern Line from T1 to T9 and returning it to its previous colour.

However this is a bit confusing to me, because the T9 trains from Hornsby via Epping will continue on to be Hornsby/Berowra via Gordon trains.

It would have made more sense to do T9 Northern & North Shore (red Hornsby Circle), and then have T1 Western & Richmond (yellow up to Lindfield).

Unless the timetable massively changes, at least on weekends the Sector 3 operating patterns are:
  • T1 Penrith to Lindfield via Central.
  • T1 Richmond to North Sydney via Central.
  • T9 Hornsby to Central via Epping, continuing as T1 Central to Hornsby/Berowra via Gordon.
28/4.

Sydney Trains timetable change there, Metro opening the week after.

Also they could well swap Hornsby via Epping to become Gordon terminators instead of Berowra/Hornsby via Pymble.

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The question is about an announcement and not the implementation date which is known to be 28/4.
Living in the Shire.
Engineering

Post by Engineering »

Fleet Lists wrote:The question is about an announcement and not the implementation date which is known to be 28/4.
The political cynic in me would suggest any announcement would be made within 24 hours of the swearing in of the new cabinet.

The engineer in me is saying it is brave person who would make a 100 % sign off to the government on a start date of a radically new massive infrastructure project before having done
1: full peak timetable trials of the entir fleet in both dry and wet conditions
2: some type of human testing of a large bunch of volunteers (old people, mothers with babies, wheelchair) of full trains and full platforms, of at least some of the key stations like CHatswood and Epping to verify if design, timing and behavioural assumptions are reasonably close to correct.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Post in NSW Railway Observations that they've been doing some testing this weekend with out of service trains.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLEA Volgren CR228L

Post by Transport Buff »

Does anyone know the official opening date for the Sydney Metro Northwest?
I have heard from one source May 5, but am not sure if that is entriely true or not. I am hoping to be there for the opening day, so am wanting to know the date.
Thanks if anyone has more info.
Love the sound of Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K280UB
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro NW, C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-CSELR
-PLR
-NIF
YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCD7ijdDD0nfo5BZFksdraqg
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Post by boronia »

If it has been officially announced, it would be in the posts above.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

Transport Buff wrote:Does anyone know the official opening date for the Sydney Metro Northwest?
I have heard from one source May 5, but am not sure if that is entriely true or not. I am hoping to be there for the opening day, so am wanting to know the date.
Thanks if anyone has more info.
There's been a few station open days already, but you should be able to sign up to check out Rouse Hill Station in a fortnights time. Follow this link to register https://www.sydneymetro.info/community- ... t-stations

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Northwest station??
Living in the Shire.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Fleet Lists wrote:Northwest station??
Well the city and sw aren't ready for public inpection yet :wink:
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The post said the Inspection was at Rouse Hill but the link goes to Northwest.
Living in the Shire.
grimlock81

Post by grimlock81 »

I attended the Castle Hill Metro station Open Day today. We had the freedom to wander around both at ground level, the concourse and the platform level and there were plenty of customer service representatives there to answer questions. I stayed for around 45 minutes and in that time I saw 3 trains being tested heading towards Chatswood which did not stop at Castle Hill.

The one notable thing was they refused to give a definite date for the opening of the Metro despite the widely reported date of May 6 in the media. Some of the workers were even saying June would be closer to the mark.

All Photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/dzBdUqX
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

grimlock81 wrote:I attended the Castle Hill Metro station Open Day today. We had the freedom to wander around both at ground level, the concourse and the platform level and there were plenty of customer service representatives there to answer questions. I stayed for around 45 minutes and in that time I saw 3 trains being tested heading towards Chatswood which did not stop at Castle Hill.

The one notable thing was they refused to give a definite date for the opening of the Metro despite the widely reported date of May 6 in the media. Some of the workers were even saying June would be closer to the mark.
Of course customer service representatives should not give a definite date for the opening when nothing has been announced officially.

I suspect the workers are talking about the landscaping work completion date rather than train operation start date. It is quite common for the workers to continue landscaping work while trains are operating.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

none of the stations on new metros in china are that wide.

most of them do have escalators at each end, though.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

grimlock81 wrote:Image
I wonder if they are actually going to limit it to show just the next 2 trains, rather than use the full screen.

I have heard that they won't publish a timetable at all, so not sure how that will translate to times appearing in apps like TripView.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”