[SMH] Commuter anger turns on the buses

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Re: [SMH] Commuter anger turns on the buses

Post by boronia »

I wonder if the GPS technology will be able to determine when the bus is full?? No point in knowing the next bus is 2 minutes away if it is not going to stop anyway.

The system in Brisbane is suspect. I watched one display near the Cultural Centre recently - the next four buses shown "due" would be due 10-15 minutes previously, then would disappear off the display without the buses actually arriving.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

This is news? This is an age-old problem with buses (like about 100 years old)! It can only be solved by bus lanes and bus priority. You don't need a satellite for that. It must have been a no-new-car-model week for Drive. Since when were they interested in PT users?
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
simonl

Post by simonl »

boronia wrote:I wonder if the GPS technology will be able to determine when the bus is full?? No point in knowing the next bus is 2 minutes away if it is not going to stop anyway.

The system in Brisbane is suspect. I watched one display near the Cultural Centre recently - the next four buses shown "due" would be due 10-15 minutes previously, then would disappear off the display without the buses actually arriving.
The system at the Cultural Centre is pretty much a joke. Part of the problem is only displaying the next 4 buses. Given that in peak a bus arrives there every 20 seconds or so, it's just not enough. System seems pretty good at the newer stations - Roma St and Boggo Rd it gets close to the mark. Sometimes services which disappear off the PID arrive later.

But the article is incorrect. While there is a GPS in every bus, the PID system relies on transponders in the road to determine whether or not the bus is on time. In a lot of places these displays should be turned off to save electricity. Wrong time, routes shown which don't operate on that day of the week are just some of the problems.

PID = Passenger Information Display before anyone asks.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Post by boronia »

The signs in the George St station were also vey confusing.

WTF does "Terminates & Culture" mean ??
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.
simonl

Post by simonl »

boronia wrote:The signs in the George St station were also vey confusing.

WTF does "Terminates & Culture" mean ??
King George Square?

Probably terminates at the Cultural Centre. The next stop for most of the routes through there.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

If you're part of the txt generation, you're culturally conditioned to translate that sort of near-enough-is-good-enough effort, but putting & instead of @ makes it a bit difficult for those old enough to expect a bit of accuracy of meaning. :roll:

gld
mubd

Post by mubd »

boronia wrote:I wonder if the GPS technology will be able to determine when the bus is full?? No point in knowing the next bus is 2 minutes away if it is not going to stop anyway
Not when there's no mechanism for tagging off the bus.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
simonl

Post by simonl »

mubd wrote:
boronia wrote:I wonder if the GPS technology will be able to determine when the bus is full?? No point in knowing the next bus is 2 minutes away if it is not going to stop anyway
Not when there's no mechanism for tagging off the bus.
Driver hitting a button? Just like the mechanism for putting "Sorry ... Bus Full" on the desto in Brisbane.
gld59 wrote:If you're part of the txt generation, you're culturally conditioned to translate that sort of near-enough-is-good-enough effort, but putting & instead of @ makes it a bit difficult for those old enough to expect a bit of accuracy of meaning. :roll:

gld
I'm not of that generation either, BTW.
Rclasstramcar
Favourite Vehicle: 1955 Morris Minor Series two

[SMH] Commuter anger turns on the buses

Post by Rclasstramcar »

If we had trams....

Ben
Return Sydney's trams
GET RID OF ABBOTT, BEFORE HE WREAKS FURTHER HAVOC ON AUSTRALIA!!!!
JAN 26-INVASION DAY
booma
Favourite Vehicle: 2574&3234&3946

Post by booma »

[/quote]
Driver hitting a button? Just like the mechanism for putting "Sorry ... Bus Full" on the desto in Brisbane.

[/quote]

We need more than 1 button.

button 1: Bus full.

button 2: Bus has Drunk and/or disorderly teenage pax.

button 3: Bus running late, driver demands green light priority.

button 4: Bus running early, driver demands red light priority.

button 5: Spew job.

button 6: Bus breakdown mechanical.

button 7: Bus breakdown passenger.

button 8: Heavy traffic

button 9: pot hole.

button 10: Vehicle illegally parked in bus zone.

I think that thoreb may be utilised for these scenarios to be communicated through PTIPS. On the Thoreb screen, instead of having a bus displayed, having these scenarios displayed for the driver to see and in real time these scenarios to be displayed to other 3rd parties through PTIPS.
OKO

Post by OKO »

The biggest button has to be, "Get out of my way, Taxi"
moreton
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo and Ford
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

Regards to the GPS system used in Brisbane (Next Bus) the bus operator keys in next trip DCU, the system shows for that service, but once the service runs 15 mins overtime/ late, that service will drop off the system/boards, etc. So once there is a prang, hold up in traffic, football game, protest march, peek hour etc. the system goes into service drop out mode. So passengers using Next Bus still standing waiting for a bus stuck in gridlock, see the service 2 minutes away for 15 mins then it drops off their screen then they go into meltdown faze, go to Translink FB Page and immediately report that bus service did not arrive within specified 15 mins time frame. Investigation is carried out on GPS system tracking and the bus had not moved in gridlock traffic because Broncos V Cowboys game was on at Suncorp Stadium sold out with 53,000 persons fighting their way to game. So the intending passenger from another planet does not understand why the bus system cannot handle a small increase in patronage on the very afternoon they had to get home early to watch Home and Away, so when the bus came round the corner from North Quay, with a full load of passengers the complainant/passenger took photo of operator then proudly boasted this is the busdriver that kept me waiting for 25 mins and now I am going to miss Home and Away.
Every system has its limitations, works in theory in a perfect world, but when it collapses it creates bad outcomes for bus operators, at the end of the day, it causes more trouble than good.
Can bus operators deal with passengers taking photos and posting on Public Media?
Should bus operators have to put up with this public passenger harassment?
Moreton. :wink:
Never again have to wait in a Q,in Queen Street ?
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Quality necro-posting!

I will note this from boronia five years ago:
boronia wrote: I wonder if the GPS technology will be able to determine when the bus is full?? No point in knowing the next bus is 2 minutes away if it is not going to stop anyway.
This has finally come to pass with the bus loading information now available (to a degree) in TripView and other apps.
moreton
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo and Ford
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

New upgrade coming through the system shortly will allow for Bus Full message and other messages through to the control centre. Not sure if this information will help passengers. Moreton :wink:
Never again have to wait in a Q,in Queen Street ?
simonl

Post by simonl »

I think it will help because it will give the drivers a single button to advise everyone who needs to be advised which will doubtless improve the quality of the statistics.

Great idea actually.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”