Predictions for the 2020s

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Campbelltown busboy

Re: Predictions for the 2020s

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Fleet Lists wrote:Point 1 - What does " dumping in store human staff" mean?
This is a better way of saying there will be all round job losses when it comes to checkout staff getting replaced by technology at shops
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Fleet Lists wrote:2. The cashless society has been predicted for the last 50 years - it is coming but is certainly more than 10 years away.
Even Sweden, arguably the nation closest to achieving cashless status, has recently taken steps to ensure the availability of cash for those who need or want it. They recognise that disruption to technology; whether by war, natural disasters, or otherwise, would paralyse the economy for lack of access to money.

Moreover, in light of ongoing scandals involving the banking sector, growing concerns over surveillance and the need for resilience if there is a mass-disruption to technology, I think cash is likely to hang around for a while yet. Proposed laws that aim to illegalise cash transaction above a threshold are not only reckless, but redundant when laws already exist that require such transactions to be declared.
Campbelltown busboy wrote:This is a better way of saying there will be all round job losses when it comes to checkout staff getting replaced by technology at shops
Are they actually shedding staff? My experiences of supermarkets prior to the introduction of self-service checkouts was they never kept more than a small handful of checkouts open, and lengthy waits were very common.

The other thing is, people need to pull their heads out of their behinds and realise that if they want to support farmers, want customer service at shop, want good quality produce, goods or services, or want workers to be paid more, they have to pay for it. You're not going to get more, for less.
The only exception I've got to this is when "buy local" seemingly gives local producers or retailers a license to steal for products that can be obtained for a pittance anywhere else.
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

Post by JRBUS123 »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: There might be a transition to a cashless society which means the end of ATMs and bank branches
I suspect that could happen, given the technology we now have. But despite that I reckon ATM's might stay.
One thing that would need to be considered is definitely security, and that perhaps may be a big concerning point particularly with links to cyber theft or cyber crime. It would need to be one of the highest security possible, given it's people's money, and that would require a big investment from big businesses (especially banks) to ensure it's in place.

On another note, I predict that perhaps Melbourne's Smartbuses will run on Sundays (and certain public holidays) up until midnight, instead of ending at around 9pm.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Here's some predication I thought of which is mostly to do with Transport and predictions for what I'd see happening to certain buses in the Future

Transport

Can't say what state will be the first but I'd predict due to the rise of digital wallets, debit & credit cards and as well as transport cards that paper based tickets will be discontinued. I mean let's be honest most adults are carrying around a credit card or debit card on them that's paywave enabled and those that aren't are a very small minority. I suspect between 2025 and 2030 paper tickets will be discontinued and from here on out you'll need to use one of the other payment methods as mentioned above. Most stations on the Hunter line (not all but most) have had their Opal ticket machines removed over the last year so this probably shows that the government wants people to start paying using other methods.

The rare Csepel CB60 bodied buses 4696 MO and 4697 MO are withdrawn from Thornton HVB between this year and next year, it's likely they'll get sent to Edgeworth Depot and stay there for some time as a Dereg bus before it either gets scrapped or sold. This'll also mark the end of the Csepel's existing with a low floor Custom Coaches body as far as I know, only three of these low floors are known to exist on the CB60 body.

Thornton Depot starts withdrawing their MAN 12.220 CB30's, all of them were made between 2000 and 2001 which possibly means they'll be withdrawn in 2025, same story as what'll likely happen to the Csepel is that they'll be Dereg and sent to Edgeworth. Due to low floors & Midi buses being popular (even if their a little old), I suspect a few other operators might buy them and they'll either be turned into a party bus or put in an operators emergency rail replacement bus fleet. 1 or two may even make it into preservation.

Again with the Thornton Deport, the Mercedes-Benz O405NH's "CC 550" are withdrawn and going by ex 7598 MO it was dereg and sent to St Marys and possibly scrapped so I see these bypassing Edgeworth and going up there before their scrapped or their whereabouts are made unknown.

Now for other operators predictions

Newcastle Transport withdraws all remaining MAN 11.220 Ansair Orana buses from service between this year and the next year or two marking the end of the last ever MAN ansair Oranas to operate public route service. Seeing as sales for these MAN's are popular going by Fleet-lists, it's likely they'll skip scrapping and make it onto a new owner, possibly as a shuttle bus, preservation or party bus.

Withdrawal of m/o 3405 and m/o 3606, in case your wondering these are the two ex original Airport Express Mercedes-Benz O405N (Not NH) Ansair orana buses, only two were made for State Transit and both ended up staying with Newcastle Transport when the service was privatised. I can't predict what'll happen two these two after withdrawal but I hope due to the rareness of the chassis & body that one of them at least makes preservation. I've never been able to ride them but would hate to see them rot after withdrawal. Maybe the Sydney Bus Musuem would be interested in snapping one of the two up?

And this brings us to the last Ansair Orana bodied buses in Newcastle Transports fleet, the Volvo B10BLE Ansair Oranas, I haven't seen other operators such as State Transit or Transits Systems withdrawal them as fast or frequent as what the other Ansair Oranas on other chassis do but the B10BLE Ansair Oranas time will come and they'll be withdrawn, I suspect between 2025 and 2028. Seeing how the Ex Brisbane Transport B10L Austral pacific proved popular with private operators and charter operators, I do possibly see the withdrawn B10BLE's making their way to other operators who will likely keep them for use on Charters or rail replacement buses.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Merc1107 wrote:
Campbelltown busboy wrote:This is a better way of saying there will be all round job losses when it comes to checkout staff getting replaced by technology at shops
Are they actually shedding staff? My experiences of supermarkets prior to the introduction of self-service checkouts was they never kept more than a small handful of checkouts open, and lengthy waits were very common.

The other thing is, people need to pull their heads out of their behinds and realise that if they want to support farmers, want customer service at shop, want good quality produce, goods or services, or want workers to be paid more, they have to pay for it. You're not going to get more, for less.
The only exception I've got to this is when "buy local" seemingly gives local producers or retailers a license to steal for products that can be obtained for a pittance anywhere else.

FYI McDonald's are a market leader in integrating technology into our business. Here are some facts:
- We hire people especially to serve and interact with customers on the kiosks.
- We do not roster fewer people now because of kiosks.
- Kiosks have been proven to increase our sales, meaning we need to put more staff on

Yes, in the future it is highly likely that AI will replace humans. In today's situation, it is not a reality. People who refuse to use kiosks are, unfortunately, dinosaurs who would be better off visiting a cafe.

That is all

Note: These thoughts are my own and do not represent that of my employer.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

They Sydney metro network will use communications based train control.

Most K and c sets as well as some comengs in Victoria that are being replaced by the NCMT will be sold/converted into homes.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
MotorOmnibus8562

The new York city transit will trial lightweight plug doors on the R262s
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote:The new York city transit will trial lightweight plug doors on the R262s
Speaking of which, I reckon their 1930's signalling systems will still be going strong by the end of the 2020s, and the network will still be teetering on the brink of collapse from deferred maintenance :mrgreen:
MotorOmnibus8562

Adelaide's suburban commuter rail network will be 100% electric being the last state in Australia with a currently existing suburban commuter rail network to be completely Electrified.

More railway lines for the commuter railway network in Sydney, Such as a line To Dural and a link between Pwnrith and Richmond and another link between Springwood and Richmond.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: More railway lines for the commuter railway network in Sydney, Such as a line To Dural and a link between Pwnrith and Richmond and another link between Springwood and Richmond.
Nothing like that in the plans.
Living in the Shire.
MotorOmnibus8562

Demand for electric vehicles will dramatically increase.

Many towns with a population of around 2000-5000 people like Beechworth, Rutherglen, Newman, Tom Price and Howlong. Yarrawonga-Mulwala will also get their own public bus service (not on demand)
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

That the north south link that's a part of the proposed western Sydney airport rail line will include a Camden branch from the proposed Narellan north south link station
MotorOmnibus8562

Hong Kong will officially become a country.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

The end of step entry high floor buses being used on route services
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

John Farnham will have his Last Final One Last Stand Farewell tour before his next one

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:The end of step entry high floor buses being used on route services
Darwin will be the opposite, I think. OH1830 school buses are used on all weekday rural bus services, but not weekends.
Campbelltown busboy

Merc1107 wrote:
Campbelltown busboy wrote:The end of step entry high floor buses being used on route services
Darwin will be the opposite, I think. OH1830 school buses are used on all weekday rural bus services, but not weekends.
I was only referring to buses in the capitals in the 5 mainland states (Adelaide Brisbane Melbourne Perth and Sydney) I didn't count in Canberra Darwin and Hobart as the ACT and NT are not tenacity recognised as states and Tasmania isn't on the mainland
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Here are my predictions in 2020s decade:
Sport
Big Bash League will decline in terms of crowd numbers and viewership figures. What will be the future for the BBL?
Super Rugby will cease in 2025 due to dwindling crowd numbers
Some NRL clubs will fold, merged or relocated due to financial viability. NRL crowd and tv ratings will continue to fall.
AFL—will bring back State of Origin AFL.
Cricket: Ireland will have a First Test Win in its history. David Warner, Steve smith will finish off their careers for Australia.
Melbourne Cup Horse Racing will continue to decline due to animal Cruelty

Aviation:
Airbus a380 will stop production next year, bringing an end to manufacturing of quad jets
Most airlines (SQ, MH, TG, EY, QR, AF, LH, BA, CZ, QF) will be in the process of retiring its a380 jets.
Not sure whether 737Max will fly again following 2 crashes in October 2018 and Mar 2019.

Transport
Mercedes Benz OC500LE CNG will be in the process of retiring from Transperth fleet. They will be replaced with Volvo’s
The manufacturing of Petrol and diesel vehicles will end in 2025 and will go into Electric powered vehicles
Armadale Line to extend to Byford.
Driverless cars will soon be a reality.

Technology:
Windows 11 will be released
IPhone 12, 13 and 14 will also be released and will come in different features.
Android Phones will also come in new features including the House mode.
Microsoft will include Publisher and MS access onto Apple Computers.

Television:
FTA will continue to decline as more people are going into streaming.
Neighbours will be axed this decade due to low ratings.
Channel 9 will see the end of ACA after nearly 40 years on air.
The closure of shopping channels—no one watched them.
MotorOmnibus8562

Australia will get their second Female Prime-Minister
Victoria will get another female premier.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

Shoudy Chen wrote:Here are my predictions in 2020s decade:
Sport
Television:
FTA will continue to decline as more people are going into streaming.
Neighbours will be axed this decade due to low ratings.
Channel 9 will see the end of ACA after nearly 40 years on air.
The closure of shopping channels—no one watched them.
Of corse the free tv decline will happen. Neighbours is currently the only show on 10 peach that isn't a on repeat loop rerun of a canceled still in syndication American sitcom or Charmed. Channel 9 won't cancel ACA unless it starts losing viewers in the eye loads. TVSN is originally a Foxtel channel that has a contract with channel 10 to have a TVSN channel on free tv and those as seen on tv informercials won't end until Danoz Direct closes down
MotorOmnibus8562

Volgren will make a new model which is a further step fron the optimus.

Custom coaches will start building more endeavor bodies. As well as possibly building a double decker bus

Some bus manufacturers will build remastered versions of their previous models, such as the cr221l
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

Bustech will hopefully retire and replace the VST after 2 decades
MotorOmnibus8562

Campbelltown busboy wrote:Bustech will hopefully retire and replace the VST after 2 decades
Hopefully they will start building an articuluted bus as well.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Bernie Sanders for US President. Probably won't happen knowing the US but he'd be their Gough Whitlam moment. to shake them out of the dark ages.
And maybe even a touch of John Howard with gun control, but I don't think he's said anything on that subject.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
MotorOmnibus8562

Australia will get its first indignous prime-minister.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)

Return to “The Lunch Room”