What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Bus Suggestions »

98% of Commodore drivers who are not police. What once was the symbol of Aussie manufacturing pride, now reduced to the symbol of the lower end of the sensibility spectrum.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
scott

Post by scott »

You only have to watch Highway Patrol to see old Commodores retired from family transport, see a second lease of life on the fleet of Bogan Transport, complete with fully sick(and often illegal) modifications to the exhaust, wheels and audio systems.

But these days I find people who drive dual cab utes can be rather intimidating, especially in the souped up Hiluxes, Colorado's, and Ford Rangers, especially the Raptor variant with the big chunky tyres.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

scott wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:50 am DPF buggered
That will be $12K, thanks very much!
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
huppypuppy

Post by huppypuppy »

scott wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:15 am But these days I find people who drive dual cab utes can be rather intimidating, especially in the souped up Hiluxes, Colorado's, and Ford Rangers, especially the Raptor variant with the big chunky tyres.
You gotta understand, with those who drive Ranger Raptors, that they spent almost $75,000 on their chosen vehicle - that's because I believe they're suffering from "little man" syndrome...... or are middle aged blokes who have just had their second mid life crisis!
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I came across an utterly worthless Ranger (probably raptor version) get enraged when I looked at my GPS for a second too long when I two cars in front of me managed to turn right at once. So I stop and wait for a gap and he's on my clacker blasting his horn when I still didn't have a safe gap. As I went to move, worthless bludger tears around on my left and passed me righas I was making my turn. We were in a 40km/h and he was doing at least the 70 that was still up ahead. He disappeared over the horizon. If a cop pulled that fellatio expert over, I would have taunted him with a loud cackle as I passed him.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Just my luck as usual the NIF is doing runs again up from Sydney / Central Coast to Newcastle Interchage and I won't be around to see it :( . I'd only partly seen it once in person and by the time I made it back to the station wanting to get photos it had already departed.

I was going to try seeing it Monday at Cockle Creek station but I was tossing around whether I'd have enough time to make it down there to see it before having to head off to work but I decided I wasn't risking it so just went off to work. Hopefully tomorrow when I'm at Newcastle it'll do it's usual run but because I'll be around it's probably going to be the one day it's not doing runs.

I'm still wanting to get photos of it before they start operations whenever that'll be.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
scott

Post by scott »

Swift wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:57 pm I came across an utterly worthless Ranger (probably raptor version) get enraged when I looked at my GPS for a second too long when I two cars in front of me managed to turn right at once. So I stop and wait for a gap and he's on my clacker blasting his horn when I still didn't have a safe gap.
I have this issue when waiting for a safe gap, while turning right out of my street onto to the main road, especially with the dual cab brigade, hate it even more when they sidle up to me on the left, totally blocking my blind spot and view of the traffic and the driver gets angry and blasts the horn.

This one if from while in passenger mode this morning, guy in Tesla blocks our bus, sure he could of heard the loud blast of the Scania horn, especially with the silence of his EV. Driver remarks a lot of idiots in his recent experience are those in the high end fancy cars and also the food delivery drivers on their ebikes or motorbikes.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Again with the NIF, it was "scheduled" to be running from Central all the way to Newcastle Interchange arriving 12:59 PM today, I made it down there before hand with plenty of time to spare and I'm keeping a watchful eye on the scheduling INFO I have for it, It got all the way up to Cardiff Station before it decided to sit there for 40 minutes with the scheduling information died (stopped updating). By the time It was still saying it was going to get to the Interchange I pretty much had to leave because I need to return home & get ready for work.

Then I got onto my connecting mode of Transport to head back home and what do you know, it eventually made it to Adamstown then apparently went up the sidings there and started heading back towards Sydney without visiting the Interchange. As I've pretty much said, I try to be there to see it and it just doesn't want to show up.

Thank you "bad luck" for supposedly ensuring I wasted my chance on the proper opptunity I had to see it.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Annoyingly I can't transfer videos from my Iphone to my desktop because the stupid piece of junk phone wants to keep saying "A Device Attached to The System is Not Functioning". Therefor I can't copy the video file over. I've tried resetting privacy settings, different USB ports on my computer, cables and even changing it to "Keep original" file format doesn't work but for everyone else it does. All I want to do is simply copy a video file over, why has it got to be so difficult?

This is probably going to end in a file corruption or file loss or two knowing my luck. Sigh can't even have a Sunday afternoon without technical trouble.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:46 pm Annoyingly I can't transfer videos from my Iphone to my desktop because the stupid piece of junk phone wants to keep saying "A Device Attached to The System is Not Functioning". Therefor I can't copy the video file over. I've tried resetting privacy settings, different USB ports on my computer, cables and even changing it to "Keep original" file format doesn't work but for everyone else it does. All I want to do is simply copy a video file over, why has it got to be so difficult?

This is probably going to end in a file corruption or file loss or two knowing my luck. Sigh can't even have a Sunday afternoon without technical trouble.
iPhone? Mate, if your PC and iPhone can connect to the same WiFi network (Laptops will always have Wi-Fi, but I'm not too sure about Desktops/Towers), I would suggest you take a look at the 'Air Transfer' app. Granted, the free version only lets you send up to 20 files at a time (there's an optional payment to remove that limit), but I find it to be the easiest way to transfer to a PC from an Apple device; because of course Apple likes to stuff things up sideways.

Basically, you send stuff over to this app; jab the wi-fi icon at the bottom, making sure again they're on the same wifi then you get an IP-like address to access in the browser on the PC to get to these files.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

Another option is to use a service like Onedrive or Dropbox to upload the photos to there, and then download them to your computer.

I have my Onedrive setup to upload all photos taken to it, so that way if I do lose my phone or it gets fried or whatever, I will likely only lose whatever photos I'd taken in the five or so minutes prior.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

These all good suggestions but my desktop uses ethernet / wired connection and of course the iphone is on WI-FI. The file I'm wanting to transfer is a 4K resolution video (by Apple Iphone 7 standards) clocking in at around 1.87GB's. I might try Banksfielderidot823's suggestion later on when I have time and see if once I can get it set-up I can still access it using an IP address.

I did manage to pull the needed file off by changing one of the settings on Iphone from "Automatic" to "Keep original file format". I don't seem to notice any quality difference on my end but the problem is that I then need to buy an additional codec from the windows store for $1.45 to play the transferred file otherwise It'll just play the video file as normally but only in audio with no picture. Works fine if I was to open via VLC but If I then try to edit it in Davinci Resolve it just says something along the lines of "file offline" again audio will play but no picture meaning I need this codec. Wouldn't be a problem if Micro$oft wasn't charging $1.45 for something that really should be free. (Just imagine getting a brand new phone, recording a few videos and you can't view it because your device maker insists you must spend a couple more dollars to access something that should've been part of the system / OS)

I tried to play smart by converting the video file in VLC from using .MOV to .MP4 and the conversion worked... sort of then it decided once conversion was done to screw up the audio track on the video so there's virtually no sound even in Davinci Resolve. Previously when I could transfer video files using the "Automatic" format in Iphone I didn't need any codecs, transferred videos played fine, sound was there, changing it to "keep original file format" worked but just introduced a whole load of other problems.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on I'd like to get to the bottom of it but following guides such as (https://macreports.com/a-device-attache ... oning-fix/) do nothing to fix it, along with this phones ongoing battery problem which I need to get fixed I'm just about over it, try to do one thing and have to deal with a whole load of other problems first.
Last edited by ScaniaGrenda on Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swift

Post by Swift »

To get away from computational devices and other electronics for a minute, my latest peeve are people, be it elderly or no, on those mobility scooters hogging the path and expecting everything to be out of their way in an instant so they can maintain their speed at a runner's pace. I saw an old man flying along outside my house and looking annoyed he had to slow to get around another old lady walking normally. He just missed her as he passed her and she stepped over for him. No thank yous just a rude old and selfish prick at heart.
I'm not going to move over for them anymore. They go around ME.
And what about all the footage going around showing even more antics from this set even riding one on an expressway traffic lane and others on regular roads in front of banking traffic. There was one I saw last night where one rode diagonally across the road to a crossing and just proceeded to ride on the crossing against the signals and cause cars to stop for him. Police need to crack down hard and take this problem seriously with real consequences such as confiscation.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Re Swifts Post: I was up at Singleton taking a walk on the weekend, saw an elderly person in one of those mobility scooters heading towards me I moved aside to give her space and got a very nice thank-you as she went past. That is the first time in a long time someone has said thank-you for giving them room, everyone else says nothing. I mean technically I don't have to give them room but it's the right thing to do & I was raised with manners. I appreciate it when they thank me for giving them space, the others that say nothing are probably the same ones who expect the world to bend over for them.

Same on the road, sometimes on smaller streets I'll pull over so the car traveling in the opposite direction can get through, 95% of the time I get a thank you wave as well, 5% of the time I don't. Also there's those nice 1% drivers where if your making a turn onto a road but traffic is banked up they'll stop (even through they shouldn't) and let you make your turn so your not sitting there for the next 30 minutes.
huppypuppy

Post by huppypuppy »

What gives me the irrits right now? And I will apologise right now if there's any Queenslanders in this forum - it really has gotten on my nerves!

That witch of a Premier of Queensland - the hide of her to ask the Federal Government for assistance when she is the reason her state's tourism sector has been affected so negatively. She closes her borders at the slightest hint of a outbreak -take a look at Gladys! She only closed the border of NSW to Victoria due to how fast it was spreading - otherwise, Gladys never closed the borders at any other time, yet kept the Rona at bay!
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Righto, that's it. I can't hold it any longer. Yep; another random rant ahead.
I know this is going to make me a big target by the road-rule fanatics, but what has been really giving me the S&#T's lately is NSW RTA/RMS's ongoing culture of U-turn-unfriendliness. I was just watching a dash-cam ride video up The Northern Rd out between Bringelly and Mulgoa and this sparked my thought.

Road Rule Reg 40 in Victoria is
A driver must not make a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights if there is a no U-turn sign at the intersection.
Road Rule Reg 40 everywhere else (yes, that includes you, NSW) is
A driver must not make a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights unless there is a U-turn permitted sign at the intersection.
(As far as I know, ACT followed Vic's Reg 40 up until about 1990 or something)

And let me make this clear: I'm particularly looking at the larger traffic light intersections where there is room to do the U-ey; not the stupidly tight small intersections in the city centres where that U-ey ends up as a three-point turn.

Every driver should know (but let's face it, there's the percentage that either don't know, or don't give a stuff.) that when you chuck a U-ey, you give way to EVERYONE; even the traffic on the slip-lanes. Because a U-turning driver breaks nearly everyone else's flow of traffic, they're at the lowest of the priority list for good reason. Yes; it's all about giving way to all other traffic; something that seems to be rarely brought up when the topic of discussion on the roads is about U-turns. Another thing is making sure there's enough space to do the turn. One thing I say is "If it's tight, forget it"; if you know your U-ey is going to end up being a three-pointer then go and look for a roundabout. Many drivers I've seen know how to do a U-ey at the lights properly; they give way to oncoming traffic first (if they have an unprotected right turn) and give way to anyone on their right-side of vision who is turning left from the side street before making the turn.

Why I'm particularly mad about this is because note how Rule 40 elsewhere except Victoria makes the provision of the "U-Turn Permitted" sign, well NSW might as well have a Rule 40 of its own because I have not seen one intersection where this provision is used. (And no, the few that are scattered on the Liverpool-Parra T-Way doesn't count.) I was looking at a study paper and apparently, the Road Safety Directorate issued a Technical Direction back in 1999 which effectively banned the use of the "U-turn permitted" sign. Nowadays, the closest you can get to having a U-turn at the lights is that little U-turn bay in Cronulla.

What do drivers do when they're unfamiliar with an area and they become lost? They make a U-turn. So what the heck are you supposed to do in NSW? Drive for the next kilometre, go around the block and hit a dead end? Then again, this is the same state that has the License speed limits, making it a menace for an up-and-coming Learner or P-plater (one who doesn't drive like a drongo) to have to take to the freeway and is unable to get to the 100km/h speed limit because they might get pulled over. Look at the ACT; there are ACT Learners and P's flying past NSW L's and P's because those ACT drivers don't have license speed limits while NSW L's and P's are made a target of road rage for being too slow on the highway.

Taking a look at Victoria St Wetherill Park, Lenore Dr in Erskine, Cowpasture Rd, Camden Valley Way and just about all of the newer highways and main roads in the outer suburbs, that Technical Direction banning the "U-turn permitted" sign is one that surely needs to die. Especially since because of this, there is much more money being wasted on those useless SO-CALLED "U-turn bays" on the side when you apparently "make a legal U-turn" and sit for the next 5 minutes on the second red light. All this while the other states are able to make good use of the "U-turn permitted" signs; ACT, Queensland, South Aust. You gotta be kidding me. Vic shows the rest of the country how it's done, the other states at least make an effort to accommodate it with the sign, while the turn continues to get shamelessly demonised in NSW. GET YOUR CRAP TOGETHER RMS!

(heavy breathing) Okay.... my rant is over.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Any rant that bashes this backwards stubbornly bureaucratic state is a good rant.
No other state is so steadfast in maintaining the status quo and banning anything by default with the remotest connotations of danger or being looked on as unorthodox in any way.
Last edited by Swift on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Railpage. Has it actually been online this year?
Swift

Post by Swift »

NSW is just an arrogant and closed minded state.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

This may ruffle some feathers and I'm not going to say names (if you can guess who I may be talking about then good for you) but why on earth was one of our politicians on a podcast with a well known anti-vaxxer? Both of them are total knobheads, one is washed up on selling fake COVID-19 cures for money (yeah what else would it be, sunshine & rainbows?) the other is figure in our government who is very controversial and says a lot of really questionable things and downplays. It frustrates me even more our own Prime Minister would go as far to defend this politician and downplays everything, if this was the opposition he'd be calling for the boot and literally throwing them under the bus.

Don't you just love how everything is one sided?

P.S I know there is a political thread but I don't really like getting into politics nor discussing my views, I've posted it here instead as what I've said above is what gives me the s&#t's lately.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Young people's fad of misusing literally.
Stop it. Now.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Australian culture. Very rooted in mundane existence and not making waves at any cost.
They hate eccentricities like it's a crime and try too hard to look outgoing for its own sake.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Being woken up by my neighbors yappy dog every single day, whether it'll be at 6:30 AM or 8:00 AM that dog is a lot worse than a rooster.

I don't really have any complaints about said neighbor, they keep to themselves but their unfortunately another mob that lets their dog yap wild & do nothing to hush it. The smallest things case that dog to yap I swear.

As I'm typing this very exact post up, guess what it's doing? Yapping.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Watching people at the hand sanitiser points, giving themselves almost a full body bath in the stuff; while proudly virtue signalling their actions for all to see. Then the shopping trolley gets the full 'car wash' treatment as well. Guess what..........it won't make you live forever !
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Seeing a group of students at school filming someone's butt in the toilets, Not only did they break a rule that the department of education has already implemented (and yes in in victoria) I immediately reported the students to a staff member, hopefully they learn a lesson and it doesn't happen again.
ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:42 am Being woken up by my neighbors yappy dog every single day, whether it'll be at 6:30 AM or 8:00 AM that dog is a lot worse than a rooster.

I don't really have any complaints about said neighbor, they keep to themselves but their unfortunately another mob that lets their dog yap wild & do nothing to hush it. The smallest things case that dog to yap I swear.

As I'm typing this very exact post up, guess what it's doing? Yapping.
Ah well, I can kinda relate to it. My dog likes to bark with the neighbour's dog next door to my house. He'll also bark at the cat across the road and also bark at other dogs that pass by my house. Normally my dog is lazy and doesn't really do much but when he hears a vehicle park outside my house or someone with a dog walking past it'll set him off and he'll go bark at the dog.
Last edited by MotorOmnibus8562 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)

Return to “The Lunch Room”