What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by TA3001 »

@ScaniaGrenda

Well I can't stand the new buses currently entering service in Adelaide to the point where I'll do almost anything to avoid catching them. They are equivalent to examples of prototypical 3d printing gone horribly wrong.

There is nothing attractive about them, yet most drivers and enthusiasts have fallen in love with them! They get to me almost every day. Hence my reactions in this thread. You said that it's not good to hold something in, and I agree.

And I am starting to detest simple terms like 'each other' and even 'we' for good reasons. Part of this being that I simply don't get along well enough with most folks.
eddy

Post by eddy »

TA3001 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:35 pm @ScaniaGrenda

Well I can't stand the new buses currently entering service in Adelaide to the point where I'll do almost anything to avoid catching them. They are equivalent to examples of prototypical 3d printing gone horribly wrong.

There is nothing attractive about them, yet most drivers and enthusiasts have fallen in love with them! They get to me almost every day. Hence my reactions in this thread. You said that it's not good to hold something in, and I agree.

And I am starting to detest simple terms like 'each other' and even 'we' for good reasons. Part of this being that I simply don't get along well enough with most folks.
You may be like me who sees most things differently and I found it best to remember it takes all kinds including us.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

@TA3001 Again I may be a little lost so please do excuse me but I assume your talking in regards to precision / VST buses? Not the first time I've seen people say their not a fan & I do agree they can use improvements (I really enjoy their older 2006 buses however their as rare as a low floor Denning Phoniex here) but interior wise anything after needs improvement. I don't know how to describe it but the way the seating is on some incline / slope should be redesigned to be inline with other buses. Maybe look at not making the back walkway as narrow either. I've been on one integrated example and I'm not sure if it was an operator or Bustech decision but it felt like I was sitting on a wooden bench with the most flat cushion thrown on the top of it, I moved to one of the bench seats and it was a lot more comfy.

One of the few things that I liked about the modern Bustech (At least STA Examples) was the stopping request sound was little bit more custom compared to Volgren / Custom using the same generic ding or beep sound. Then something happened and with the latest B8RLE's Newcastle Transport got, they got rid of the classic Bustech stopping chime and replaced it with the most horrible beep sound that goes "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP". If I ever get around to releasing a video I took on one of these B8RLE's, you'll hopefully know what I mean.

I drive nowdays so it's been a while and can't say for myself personally the last time there was a particular bus coming and I wanted to avoid it but given the buses here aren't as frequent I wouldn't really have much of a choice.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

The truth is, they're so different to what I'm used to (IE a normal bus). It is agitating enough boarding a bus that has taken the spot of a 1990s MAN bus. The near silent engine is another factor. The audibility of the indicator is another annoyance on the rigids, partly due to Adelaide's 34 year Scania sentence (the contract goes to 2029. Add around 25 years for the life span, and it equates to 2054).

So, in order for that bus to get even the slightest positive from me, it must look presentable, have comfy seating, a windowline that can be seen out of, and without cosmetic annoyances.

Riding any Scania that is newer than an L94UB is like catching a bus along a goat track. I don't know what it is, but there are so many bounces and jolts. When there is nothing to divert my attention (IE myself 'riding' solo), it ticks an invisible box. When I hear that buzzer that indicates the jackpot tone, I cringe as well. There are simply too many negatives with any MAN replacement from 2016 and onwards to detail here.

The mood also has an effect. There was one day this year when I got up early to make an inbound express service, only to not find anything appealing doing it. The result was a highly uncomfortable return trip on the type of bus mentioned in the first line in the second paragraph in your post. I have detailed this trip previously, so I won't bother repeating it. But it was one of the most annoying trips I've had on one of these. What I recall is the bus feeling like it had no suspension.

To put this way, today's buses will never excite me. But they could be a lot better in terms of ride quality, and comfort.

I hope this explains my negative comments. I barely even recall making many complaints about MAN buses, due to so few being in service compared to 5 years ago.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

It's nice to see Newcastle Transport bring back the Christmas bus this year (2078 ST) but why on earth is there no timetable for it this year? I'm not too sure I'm up for chasing a specialty bus If there isn't transparent information as to where it'll be. They've had timetables for the previous years so why is it that this year there's nada?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

The annoying bots that post links to dodgy sites returning. Saw two bots comment on one of my premieres
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Surely this is a tiny bit discriminatory. The address is shown above.
IMG088.jpg
eddy

Post by eddy »

TA3001 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:54 pm Surely this is a tiny bit discriminatory. The address is shown above.

IMG088.jpg
I remember my dad telling me that I had many advantages that some others did not one day when I was getting on my high horse.

As an old guy I think I did have some advantage over women and blacks or just really poor people having such a good dad.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Why do people still insist on going for night walks or rides in dark areas with no reflective / high visibility clothing what so ever?
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:47 am Why do people still insist on going for night walks or rides in dark areas with no reflective / high visibility clothing what so ever?
My commute to work daily is like this, ScaniaGrenda - my company supply hi-vis vests to our cycling team members but there are only a few who wear them..... ONLY A FEW! Everyone should make sure they are visible to motorists by wearing their high visibility vests, making sure they have functioning front and rear lights and wearing bright clothing!
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
eddy

Post by eddy »

Especially the flashing rear light lets you know a bike is ahead from a kilometer or more.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

- When you get that "tickelish feeling" up your nose that your about to sneeze but can't sneeze at all.

- Randomly getting hiccups.

- Took 10+ attempts to pull one measly video file off of my Iphone because something always has to go wrong.

- Heh weekends going to fast, think we can just about all relate to that.

- Struggling to come up with Christmas present ideas because no one can tell me what they want and I don't want anyone within my family to be left out.

- Davinci Resolve being an annoyance for some reason by glitching and extending my intro music constantly for no reason.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:40 pm - Heh weekends going to fast, think we can just about all relate to that.
Amen!
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
385BUZ
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 385BUZ »

There was also a car vs motorbike crash the other day on Musgrave rd, Red Hill. As I was coming past in the other direction, BT bus T2911 swerves into my lane (on the other side of the road) and I narrowly avoid a collision.

Brand new B8 vs brand new rav4? I think I know who would have won...

Although most of the drivers in Brisbane are super helpful and friendly - it seems as though some think that since they drive a bigger vehicle they can do what they want!
Regards,
385BUZ

TransLink Route 385. Bus Upgrade Zone.

If you need to contact me privately, please email: 385buz@gmail.com
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

The obvious "beauty level management" going on in tv commercials and other media. When I was young in the 80s the girls were generally gorgeous who appeared in a typical ad. Now you see many girls on the street look better than any you see on television shows and even movies. It's like they don't want to upset the average looking viewers or the powers that be want to manipulate viewers tastes in beauty. Well I ain't falling for it!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Why do businesses use "Australia" in their name when they've got nothing to do with Australia at all? Looking for some present ideas for Christmas and the amount of "online shops" that say Australia when their based overseas is high. It's also deceiving as well as you think your about to buy from an Australian company but it's some overseas company instead, no wonder the postage is $13+ for a very tiny item.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Bus drivers that frequently ignore the speed limit on a particular road where the signs clearly say 50(kph)!

Way too common, and I think the government would make a fair amount of cash from TT drivers alone if a nice little discrete one was installed in this section behind the trees, considering that the tolerance is more than likely just under 3kph over.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Thankfully, SAPol do not issue speeding fines for anything (usually) less than 6km/h over the limit. Technically they can give out fines for 5kms too according to this:

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/your-safe ... detections
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

I could swear I have heard of drivers getting done for doing 64kph in a 60 zone. This tolerance should be lowered to about 3kph over the limit, as it's too lax at the moment. Interesting link. But very disappointing.

So it's essentially saying that you can knowingly do 63kph without any risk of being pinged. I know of a couple of folks who would find this info very useful. Why isn't it made public on AdelaideNow?

And for some reason, It still seems like motorbikes are exempt from speed limits and other regulations, such as stopping at a red light! I thought it was an offence not to.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

When you ride an older B12BLE EURO 3 and it sounds like the most rattling piece of junk when idle, that award goes to m/o 1432. Not to mention half the stop request buttons don't even work.
Last edited by ScaniaGrenda on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

TA3001 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 pm
And for some reason, It still seems like motorbikes are exempt from speed limits and other regulations, such as stopping at a red light! I thought it was an offence not to.
There's a difference between it being so and acting as if it's so despite it not.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

More COVID shenanigans (Thankfully nothing to do with myself but in general issues)

- People in Northern Sydney getting COVID tests and then flocking off to the local markets. Sorry but that is just really pathetic of people and is exactly why were going through more cases again. You want to get through this? Then just get tested and get yourself back home, in reality it is so simple yet the mind boggles as people reckon this is too much to achieve. So you've had the idea you should get tested (great) but what makes you think it's really ideal to be going around to shops, markets, businesses if you haven't gotten your negative test results back yet?

- Hording of toilet paper continues for the 500th time, I reckon regardless of location, supermarkets should step in and enforce a strict 2 item purchase limit on these until the pandemic is officially DEAD. Every time 20+ new cases popup and the respective ministers issue a lockdown this is going to happen again and again.

- Been reading numerous comments of other people coughing and not wearing masks or even showing up to the COVID testing without a mask.

- I'd imagine a few more cases are going to make their way back up north, It wouldn't surprise me if by New Years we're in a state mandated lockdown just like Victoria went through.
eddy

Post by eddy »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:20 pm More COVID shenanigans (Thankfully nothing to do with myself but in general issues)

- People in Northern Sydney getting COVID tests and then flocking off to the local markets. Sorry but that is just really pathetic of people and is exactly why were going through more cases again. You want to get through this? Then just get tested and get yourself back home, in reality it is so simple yet the mind boggles as people reckon this is too much to achieve. So you've had the idea you should get tested (great) but what makes you think it's really ideal to be going around to shops, markets, businesses if you haven't gotten your negative test results back yet?

- Hording of toilet paper continues for the 500th time, I reckon regardless of location, supermarkets should step in and enforce a strict 2 item purchase limit on these until the pandemic is officially DEAD. Every time 20+ new cases popup and the respective ministers issue a lockdown this is going to happen again and again.

- Been reading numerous comments of other people coughing and not wearing masks or even showing up to the COVID testing without a mask.

- I'd imagine a few more cases are going to make their way back up north, It wouldn't surprise me if by New Years we're in a state mandated lockdown just like Victoria went through.
Best to stock up before you get a test then you can go straight home and isolate.
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

Post by JRBUS123 »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:28 pm The annoying bots that post links to dodgy sites returning. Saw two bots comment on one of my premieres
Yeah I’ve had that too, even dodgy spyware when I visit sites that run advertisements. It’s quite frustrating actually, but at least it’s easy to just block them off (especially if this occurs on social media).
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I haven't looked into the Youtube channel filter much but is it possible to set up a filter so anything with a hyperlink get's sent to the review bin for the channel operator / owner to take a look at? Maybe for premiers they get auto deleted?

But I agree, I've said previously those bots are a pain in the thornside, just when you think you've got someone interested in your content it turns out their not even real people. On the positive side it's been a while since I've seen those "Wanna be friends" bots so hopefully fingers crossed it stays that way, but you know the present day world, if something is working fine there has to be one person somewhere ruining it for everyone else.

As for dodgy advertisements, I just keep my Adblock on. Unfortunately it has reached a point where many websites are overridden with countless advertisements I can deal with the non-intrusive side of things but when it starts having an impact on myself using the website or your site is overridden that's when it goes on & stays on, also if you ask me to disable my Adblocker that's goin to be a big fat NO. If you don't want me to use my Adblocker then don't bombard me in the face with ad's, simple & easy. The front page of your website doesn't need a banner advertisement, then two side bar advertisements for the same thing as well and then one at the bottom.

Also those autoplaying video advertisements on websites can go pound sand, I don't get a lot of mobile data and to visit a website & have these chewing up my data while I'm trying to close them off but the site is designed so poorly it doesn't work is another reason why I wouldn't want to support your site (I'm on IOS so there isn't any Adblockers).

Return to “The Lunch Room”