What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Merc1107 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:01 pm ScaniaGrenda, it could be a good idea to take a look at what you've posted, and what it is you've implied Centralian is condoning (i.e. the protests). The post of Centralian's is spot on; just because people express themselves differently does not make them any better or worse than you. Nor is it true that everyone who questions what is happening is some conspiracy-theory mad, anti-vax lunatic as you seem to be implying. A lot of people are legitimately wondering what the pathway out of this mess is. Claiming that "following the rules" will lead to lockdown ending ignores how contagious this virus is; fleeting contact, even in an essential setting, has resulted in transmission of this virus and people dying.
You know what, I've gone over many mixed thoughts & Opinions and I'm just as frustrated as the rest of us are however I'm sorry that I see the world from a truly different prospective and that prospective isn't what lines with others on this board. However at the end of the day I'm still free to vent my concerns & frustrations just as anyone else is, this is what this is exactly what this thread is for.

Now I'm overwhelmed too, being confined to your house for days on end isn't mentally healthy, I'm very understanding of mental health & wellbeing. For a lack of words the reason I made the post I did is because I've really lost it and yes I have suffered my own loses because of the pandemic, I'm just really really frustrated and full of emotions, this is just me venting and you need to understand that doesn't do any good on ones mental well-being and health to keep things inside of you, I've been through a lot of that personally, you just need to speak out and let it fly. It also feels like I'm being unfairly criticised for not knowing every fine detail about what's going around me 100% and that before I dare say anything I have to know every last fine detail. Truth is irrespective of my post If you don't think I'm not aware of what's going on, please think again. I really have a huge issue when people take my posts out of context and suddenly assume I'm the worst person because of one post or what I may not have said or included.

If you don't agree with me that's fine, but you need to also see it from my side where it can & does irk people when it feels like the wrong thing is being done, even deliberately and I keep asking where is this getting us?

I won't comment anymore, I've said enough & what I've needed to say.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

As said before - subject closed in this thread. Speaking as an Admin.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

The usual appalling grammar and terrible pronunciation all too many people use, like saying letter h as "haitch", words like "anythink" (ugh!!) and "would of" instead of "would have". Butchers. :x
You'd think many Australians take some sort of warped twisted pride in sounding common.

Look how well Sydneysiders spoke in 1979, compared to the great unwashed now.
https://youtu.be/djkmna0paVE
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Arrogant chick with an attitude at the deli at my local supermarket. I know you hate me for bringing up deceptive pricing on an item in the past and you didn't like me being assertive, but slamming down my order on the counter like a petulant teen was uncalled for you insolent witch!
Swift

Post by Swift »

Seeing on the news how the local council and state government have footed the bill for an expensive seawall for a few intensely selfish millionaires at Snobbaroy to keep their houses on the beach front. They were stupid to build there. Sea walls cause worse erosion damage elsewhere.

Taxpayers footing the bill for the rich.
Fills me with pure rage.

PS: I feel slightly better knowing those privileged self centered individuals are apparently paying 80% of the cost. Still stupid to eventually wipe out the beach or need to do expensive remedial works on a permanent basis, for the sake of millionaires row at the seaside!
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

My local Aldi stopped getting in the World Kitchen BBQ meatlovers stone baked pizzas (usually near the meat section - not to be confused with their inferior McCain knockoff in the freezer). They were under $5 and basically identical to the Picasso Kitchen ones in Woolworths. Every other flavour is still there of course (chicken and vegetarian IIRC), they just stopped getting in the BBQ ones and removed the price tags.

On a similar note, Costco (Ringwood, just in case it only happened here) stopped making BBQ meatlovers pizzas earlier this year, while naturally having plenty of vege and cheese pizzas go into the bin after closing time - the BBQ ones were always sold out by 3PM, if not earlier. At $15 they weren't exactly cheap compared to a McCain/Woolies/Aldi one but they weren't too bad.

Doesn't anyone born this century eat meat or something?
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Please tell me that TDV Kingsgrove still has a plug of the 971 in it and I haven't missed photographing BYD/Volg 8188 at Cronulla, because if I did, I am going to be a whole world of furious, since everyone in my red-flagged council had been bounded and gagged to our houses for the last couple of months.

^ Thank you Heihachi_73. I know which ALDI and Costco to boycott to hell now, as someone who loves meatlovers pizzas and for that matter, anything that has a whole batch of meat on it with a potato cake or two on the side. I thought the pro-vegan bushfires that had already nearly burnt out Elsternwick and Northcote was on its way north, not east. I thought wrong.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Heihachi_73 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:42 pm Doesn't anyone born this century eat meat or something?
They tell me it's not good for you, and causes a lot of pain and suffering to the original owners of the 'product'.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

About Aldi, unfortunately a product that they only sell and that I absolutely loved looks to have been discontinued in the last two weeks or so. There's those Farmwood southern style popcorn chicken pops you'd get in a big 1KG pink bag for $10, they were best alternative to KFC's popcorn chicken. I've been to my local Aldi twice and I just can't for the life of me find them in store anymore (no price tag for them either) which confirms my suspicions they've likely been discontinued.

Speaking of too, I've been trying to chase those Dixie Drumstick biscuits for weeks now and Woolworths does still have the price tag for them on the shelf but their spots on the shelfs remain empty. I'm just really tired of this limited time nonsense, why discontinue what consumers love and there is demand for?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Yeah, Aldi seems to like doing that. I used to always get the Corale chilli con carne, which was basically a Stagg Dynamite Hot knockoff. Of course, they got rid of it 2-3 years ago with no replacement. Became a bit of a sour point when the Stagg product itself was banned from Australia not long after, for not declaring the country of origin of the beef on the can (apparently the beef was sourced from Brazil, not the US). Stagg came back a month or two later, but with pork instead of beef, and probably a higher price too but I only buy it on special anyway (or at Costco where they have a 4-pack for $11 or so).

If Aldi stops getting in the chilli chips (Kettle knockoff) I won't even have a reason to step foot in there. Aldi getting in Coke 36 packs is about as rare as KFC getting in Hot 'n Spicy (which I don't even remember happening this year), they actually got in the 36s last week so I went silly and bought 4 of them to save having to line up for half an hour at Costco to get the same thing (or to save the roll-eyes moment when Costco randomly adds $3 to the price tag, with me walking out immediately after and buying 30-pack Pepsis from Woolies instead).

Speaking of Pepsi, I haven't seen normal blue box Pepsis in either Coles (Ringwood Square and Eastland) or Woolies for a few days now, nothing but Pepsi Max (while 24 packs of normal Pepsi stopped being sold a month or two ago, the 30 and 10 packs were still available). I suppose it's like my mate who lives on chocolate milk and the supermarkets have no chocolate Oak or Big M left (he refuses to buy the cheap brands as he says they taste s&#t), yet rows of unsold strawberry flavour and crappy promo drinks e.g. Peanut Butter flavour or Allens lolly flavour or whatever other crap they come up with, while the rest of the fridge is full of a hundred variations of iced coffee.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

I usually find during periods of high demand KFC Hot and Spicy is one you have to wait for. It's definitely a nicer experience than oil-drowned original recipe, so it wouldn't surprise me if outlets in the bigger cities have trouble keeping up with demand.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Heihachi_73 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:32 pm yet rows of unsold strawberry flavour and crappy promo drinks e.g. Peanut Butter flavour or Allens lolly flavour or whatever other crap they come up with, while the rest of the fridge is full of a hundred variations of iced coffee.
As you put it, the least popular items remain for purchase on the market.

Don't get me wrong, promotions have their time and place and change isn't always bad but what works best always get discontinued, then it takes a decade or maybe more for them to reappear, they last 2-3 weeks and are gone again (as I've pointed out with the Dixie Drumsticks). On the other hand Sometimes items reappearing isn't always the best, they may change key ingredients or tweak the original recipe and what you end up getting is nothing close to the original and leaves a bad taste.

While there isn't anything I as a consumer can do besides maybe provide feedback, it is definitely rough having something finally enjoyable, not knowing it got discontinued and you rock up to your local supermarket next week to find absolutely no trace of it.

Anyway I've got one of the big name meat producer outlet stores the general public can visit in the region so after the lockdown I'm going to try heading there and have a look for any alternatives as unfortunately the big Supermarkets show they can't or won't commit to a replacement or any solutions. I mean I of course did try heading to Woolworths but they don't stock anything close to it.
Swift

Post by Swift »

My mother has had the same experience over the years with products that did just the things she wants only for the manufacturer to stop making them.

I remember hearing a radio interview with the boss of Samboy chips making hullabaloo about bringing back the much missed Tomato Sauce flavour after consumers missed it for so long. He didn't explain why they ceased it to start with.
The only explanation I can come up with is this pocket of managers that believe they can tell consumers what they want as some bizaar egotistical power trip (I've heard of it with radio station managers), or a popular flavour stuffs their inventory somehow so pull it to get people out there to turn to the alternative flavours. I think they treat the population as a collective they manipulate and stuff the individuals who get put out.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

The other thing that happens is that products are retired, only for them to reappear as "NEW!", perhaps after the original company was acquired by another outfit who reevaluated the product line and decided to breathe life into old products.
scott

Post by scott »

Byrd the bailiff on Judge Judy being shown the door, after 25 years of loyal service.

https://ew.com/tv/judge-judy-bailiff-pe ... y-justice/
Swift

Post by Swift »

McDonald's Woy Woy burning the underside of the top buns on their expensive Wagyu burger, ruining the taste.
I was too famished to go to the trouble to drive the seven minutes back for an exchange.
Woy Woy used to be the best one. Standards have slipped. I have a mind to tell the manager so.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

The last remaining free ATM in Ringwood proper, the former Commonwealth Bank ATM at Ringwood Square, has now been converted to a $2.50-per-use machine, leaving only the 9-6 Eastland Shopping Centre with the big four ATMs. Ringwood Square's sole ATM was turned off yesterday but still had its CBA branding, and was replaced with an Armaguard ATM-X.

Edit: The Armaguard machine is free if you're with ANZ.
Last edited by Heihachi_73 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

1. Australia Post
2. Australia Post
3. Did I say Australia Post?

So here is the dealy-o, I know they chock a block with parcels and add to the list the other things going on, however I really really want to question how an item that is just two hours away from me (SYD - NEWC) has sat in one of their warehouses since October 7th without any movement. Sure I'd expect something coming from Victoria, Queensland, where ever to face delays (again given ongoing circumstances) but I can't excuse them for having an item that is so close to me to take possibly two weeks maybe more to reach me (only update was October 7th).

Then you want to call up Customer Service to just get some form of update on what is going on with your parcel "unless it is medication or legal documents, please hang up the call" their recording advises when you call their customer 1300 number".

Seriously?

I've dealt with Government Departments numerous times in my life and even their not this bad. If you can't reach any form of Customer Service, do you really have customer service at all?

I think at this point I'm better talking to a brick wall than trying to reach AP's customer service.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Any respect I had for AP is diminishing at present with the backlog and overwhelming parcel volumes. Blaming COVID is all well and good, but we're 18 months into this now and parcel volumes have been increasing all the while. AP is churning out record profit figures - good work, I say, but can that revenue not be put towards finding more air or surface freight solutions to deal with what is now a collossal backlog?

Heihachi_73 - I share your annoyance at the loss of ATMs. The solution is to visit Australia Post, seeing as they have a contract with the banks for a number of services. So in spite of my annoyance mentioned above, I'm glad they're stepping up to the plate and organising things to particularly help folks in the regions where all the local bank branches have shut shop.
Swift

Post by Swift »

How does Australia Slug Mail resolve lack of ATMs?
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Merc1107 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:59 am Any respect I had for AP is diminishing at present with the backlog and overwhelming parcel volumes. Blaming COVID is all well and good, but we're 18 months into this now and parcel volumes have been increasing all the while. AP is churning out record profit figures - good work, I say, but can that revenue not be put towards finding more air or surface freight solutions to deal with what is now a collossal backlog?
Exactly this, as I've said elsewhere, my respect for Australia post lays within the Employees, the ones doing the sorting & handling (where ever it isn't handled by Machine), the couriers, post office staff etc, it isn't their fault my parcel is still sitting in their warehouse. The blame on that rests solely on management and their incompetency, too little too late done.

I'm just as disappointed they now fob off anyone calling as their recording states "unless your parcel your awaiting for contains important documents or medication please hang up the call". Yes my parcel isn't as important as those and I can wait however I just want an answer or something you know? It also says to contact them if it hasn't arrived by x date but only NOW do they want you to do that online and not only is it somewhat tedious process, you'll be waiting days for response, probably only being responded too by an outsourced support centre whose only thing they can do is see what the general public can see.

Want to know something? I recently had another parcel of mine go through their infamous Chullora warehouse, word out there is that is sometimes the black hole for Australia post, what goes in may never come out or takes just as long compared to using another warehouse. The one that went through that was only late arriving to me by a single day. This other one also coming from Sydney is who knows where and hasn't moved. I don't know anymore.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Swift wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:05 pm How does Australia Slug Mail resolve lack of ATMs?
As withdrawing, dispositing money is free of charge. And AP outlets seem more plentiful than a non-generic ATM.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Merc1107 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:59 am Any respect I had for AP is diminishing at present with the backlog and overwhelming parcel volumes. Blaming COVID is all well and good, but we're 18 months into this now and parcel volumes have been increasing all the while. AP is churning out record profit figures - good work, I say, but can that revenue not be put towards finding more air or surface freight solutions to deal with what is now a collossal backlog?

Heihachi_73 - I share your annoyance at the loss of ATMs. The solution is to visit Australia Post, seeing as they have a contract with the banks for a number of services. So in spite of my annoyance mentioned above, I'm glad they're stepping up to the plate and organising things to particularly help folks in the regions where all the local bank branches have shut shop.
If only Australia Post actually had reasonable operating hours, ditto with banks. No point going to Australia Post in my suburb when it's hiding inside the same shopping centre as the bank itself and is only open an hour later than the banks. I can't go to Australia Post at 8PM on a Saturday to get $20 out (or even 1PM for that matter), yet I can do that at Coles. The banks and post offices need to get with the times or die a horrible death.

The world has all but moved to cashless payments (as much as I hate it) and 24/7/365 online buying and selling, yet the banks and post offices still act like we're in the 1980s with no internet, no eBay and no need whatsoever to get cash out or post parcels later than 5PM on a weekday in the assumption that the whole country is now closed and has become a ghost town by 6PM (the long-dead 6 o'clock swill), as opposed to having 24/7 shopping in virtually all places not called Perth.

Australia Post crying a river after being overwhelmed with parcels every single Monday because they've been completely closed since 5PM Friday afternoon (or open Saturday mornings but holding into the parcels until they reopen on Monday) is their own stupid decision to maintain the status quo of decades gone while half the country has been in lockdown and has gone massively online with retail being closed, never mind the extra fifteen or twenty million people living in Australia compared to the 1980s. If they were open longer, operated on the weekend and did deliveries 7 days (not just Saturday Express Post) it would spread out the deliveries more evenly and they'd make even more money, which is the whole point of being a for-profit parcel company (only the letter post division is NFP/government-run). Start hiring more staff already, or at least make it easier to apply for a job instead of having to jump through a thousand hoops online while performing countless brain training and personality tests (even the cleaners in the shopping centre have to do the tests, because clearly you need to have passed year 12, sat for half a decade in uni and have a diploma on the wall in order to be allowed to wipe a floor).

Before COVID became a thing I was posting things in the red box even at 3AM, having bought up big on stamps because post offices have pathetic service levels (nothing against the staff though - it's the corporate management). When sending letter rate items (DVDs, PlayStation games etc.) I weigh the items myself, pay the appropriate postage in stamps, and drop the items in the red boxes to avoid the BS and the long queues and waits, unless I absolutely need to send a parcel or it's an expensive item (over $30), since tracking numbers and proof of postage cannot be provided otherwise. These days I don't use eBay for selling because I never agreed to the managed payments BS, it's like going back to the 1990s with money being held for X business days like an old-fashioned cheque - with PayPal the money was transferred the next business day, even quicker if you clicked the "bribe button".

On a similar note to the Big Four branches and ATMs disappearing, how long until Telstra starts pulling the same trick with their free "payphones"? I can only imagine that these too will become a rare beast so see in the wild by 2025, while for-profit phone companies will start sprouting up payphones like mushrooms, probably with per-minute charges and peak/nighttime/public holiday surcharges as an added bonus.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

That's just the thing Heihachi_73, I'd love to see them do weekend deliveries if it helps clear the backlog. Now before anyone else mentions so, I'm aware there is a lot more to take into consideration for employees like penalty rates and weekend pay but this definitely isn't impossible from happening, I've not had a Saturday delivery myself but I do know a few people who in the rare circumstances have had it, mostly couriers showing up that were overwhelmed and wanted to clear their backlog (this was just after the lockdown last year I believe?).

I've had a look over at USPS (United States Postal Service) from a 3rd party website (so results may or may not be out of date or skewed) but even they deliver on both Saturday and Sunday, although for Sunday it is only priority mail & Amazon packages according to one website. Just knowing USPS alone I just can't imagine them pulling an Australia post and going "Oh well it is Saturday, these parcels can sit in our warehouse until Monday".

Now as for Australia Post and their so called "priority mail" known as express post, technically they stopped their express post guarantee a while back, their not guaranteeing for now it'll be next day delivery or anything like that. What people are still paying for is just fancy packaging colouring and a label at a premium price, to still be offering a priority service but not acting on that (even if it may or may not be out of their control) is a slap in the face, it should've been suspended until congestion is eased.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Australia being a usual backwater these days.
We've gone backwards in opening hours of supermarkets. Try finding a 24hr store now. Used to be around in quite a few places.
In the 2000s Coles in Woy Woy opened till midnight 7 days a week for years. Then it went to Mon -Fri from memory, then 11 Mon Fri, 10 on weekends, then the present situation 10 Mon Fri, 9 weekends.
Aldi went to 7 down from from 8 on weekends on the central coast (not Sydney) then back to 8 again a couple of years back as it must have been causing complaints.

Return to “The Lunch Room”