Alan Denning

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Alan Denning

Post by Looselion »

I thought it may be of interest to members of the forum to know I had a rather nostalgic hour or so on the phone yesterday with Alan. He's now 81 yrs of age and doing fine. A prominent subject of our conversation was his pride in the success of his three kids, and he especially mentioned his two sons, one of whom is continuing his legacy in the coach-building industry. (I was previously unaware that part of Alan's early apprenticeship in metal fabrication was in the aircraft industry at Archerfield.)
This man is a Godfather of the coach manufacturing industry in this country, and there'd be very few Aussies, enthusiasts or not, who wouldn't recognize the "Denning" brand.
I arranged to visit him personally in the near future and I hope to come away with more memorabilia for inclusion in the "Rex Law's Redline Coaches" thread, and hopefully to commence a "Denning" thread.......
Centralian

Re: Alan Denning

Post by Centralian »

Thanks Looselion, a 'Denning' thread would certainly be of interest. I'm not in the industry so wasn't aware that one of the sons continues in the coach building industry, can you say where that is ? I would think there's book material potential out there with the Denning name.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Thanks for your comment Centralian.
I could say more regarding both the son and the book potential but I'm sure you'll understand that I'm reluctant to disclose any details of our private chat without Alan's express approval.
When I get with him in person I'll be seeking his consent and co-operation towards having his story told here, and I'll certainly keep the forum community updated on that.
onetrack

Re: Vale Alan Denning

Post by onetrack »

Just reviving an old thread, and an update on Alan Denning. I have been informed that Alan B. Denning, pioneer of the bus and coach building industry in Australia, passed away on 11th January 2013.

I believe the passing of this pioneer should be noted - the man was at the forefront of modern bus design in Australia, and any information about him, and his bus and coach building enterprise, needs to be recorded for posterity.

For those that don't know, take note that the current "Denning Manufacturing" coach-building business has no relationship to the former A.B. Denning manufacturing business - and is run by a totally different group of people who basically trade on the former A. B. Denning reputation.
This is not to say that the current line of Denning Manufacturing buses and coaches are inferior - just that there is no direct link to Alan Denning or his former business, apart from the fact that the current Denning Manufacturing business operates from A.B. Dennings former premises.
I'm not aware of any Denning family members who are working in the current Denning Manufacturing business - so perhaps it needs to be outlined as to exactly what business operations, Alan Dennings son is working in.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

another great loss to the industry :shock:
"CAPTAIN.C.H Still lives" :twisted: :shock: "JUST"
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

There is an article in ABC magazine on the late Allan B Denning, a true pioneer of the Australian Bus and Coach industry, his fine coaches he built live on all around Australia as a Testament to him.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
mbruce
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Denair

Post by mbruce »

I know Alan's son Boyd works in a senior design/production role for BCI. :?
8 SPEED
Favourite Vehicle: Anything 420hp or above

Post by 8 SPEED »

A denning working for bci no offence but mmm.
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR HORSEPOWER
captainch

Post by captainch »

if you asked the average person who went on a coach trip they would all say we went on a "DENNING"
dominodc122
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Post by dominodc122 »

another Aussie pioneer lost without his story being told - RIP Alan B Denning...yours was a fine product! 8)
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

The May June issue of Australian Bus Panorama will contain a tribute to the life and products of Alan Denning.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Vale Alan.....
I first met him in 1958 at Coorparoo, Brisbane, and last spoke to him in 2011 when, as I reported above, I arranged to go see him again in person at his home.
Sadly this didn't occur bacause I found myself dealing with eye cataracts and I elected to play it safe and to not do any substantive driving until the eyes were back to serviceable....
I must thank Ben Gillespie for alerting me to Alan's passing, which I only found out about last night during email conversation with him.
Alan was a true pioneer and I can safely say that he, and his early mentor and fellow transport industry innovator, Rex Law, together (in concert with Sir Reg Ansett) changed the face of Australian land travel and touring forever.
They were both very humble and likeable straight-shooters, and Australia's transport industry benefited greatly from their very substantial participation.
I wish also to record my deepest condolences to Alan's widow and family.
Glenn Law
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

It is a great shame that a memorial has not been erected or if not one in the planning stages for individuals with the foresight such as Alan Denning and all operators who contributed to the success of tourist coach ventures in the 1970s and 80s.
Indeed the expansion of Australian tourism and the exposure provided by quality coach builders and their products added significantly to the great Aussie experience for hundreds of thousands of inbound tourists and the memories they still hold dear. The operators (many of whom are now a fading memory) owe a great debt to the determination, improvisation, engineering and innovation that allowed so many to travel throughout this great nation and experience it up close. Countless tradespeople, designers, suppliers and support industries benefited greatly and formed the basis for some of the greatest tourist transport machinery ever built and which I and others who hold the memory very close had the good fortune to drive on local, interstate and extended tours in these awesome machines.

Would it not be worthy of recognition to erect such a monument to those who had that foresight?
132.jpg
132.jpg (81.48 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
An Australian Classic!
captainch

Post by captainch »

why not a denning in the transport hall of fame in the alice to all those body builders and early operators :roll:
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Got one already - Lance Grenda's one.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

I would suggest that a memorial be placed somewhere in Brisbane to both Denning and Austral, given the contribution both have made to the economy and the tourist industry
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

I am currently formulating an article on the history of Alan B. Denning in Australia's bus industry for the Queensland Omnibus & Coach Society's magazine, which will be ready for publication sometime in the next few months - probably around July.

In the mean time, if anybody would like to contribute some photos, information or anything about his background that I might not already know, then please get in touch with me as I already have some good comprehensive information about his business from his first bus in 1956 onwards, which was published in an official ABD company profile during the early 2000's.

You can contact me through the board, or via vp@qocs.org.au
Dial 000
Favourite Vehicle: UTA Mercedes 0305 1936

Post by Dial 000 »

:? Morning folks, happy to stand corrected on this but, from November 1984 DENNINGS were built and distributed by JRA Australia. JRA were responsible for the extensive Australia wide testing of the DENNING we all know and love today and still graces many parts of Australia.

While there is certainly an historical connection to Alan they deserve to be recognised as JRA's baby.
The "Green lines", sorting the men from the boys!
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Good point ...put them on the memorial as well!?
Sunliner 209v1.jpg
Sunliner 209v1.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
"my old Girl" :D 8)
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Dial 000 wrote::? Morning folks, happy to stand corrected on this but, from November 1984 DENNINGS were built and distributed by JRA Australia. JRA were responsible for the extensive Australia wide testing of the DENNING we all know and love today and still graces many parts of Australia.

While there is certainly an historical connection to Alan they deserve to be recognised as JRA's baby.
Alan actually severed all ties with the company "Denning" in 1975.
Dial 000
Favourite Vehicle: UTA Mercedes 0305 1936

Post by Dial 000 »

Hornibrook wrote:
Dial 000 wrote::? Morning folks, happy to stand corrected on this but, from November 1984 DENNINGS were built and distributed by JRA Australia. JRA were responsible for the extensive Australia wide testing of the DENNING we all know and love today and still graces many parts of Australia.

Alan actually severed all ties with the company "Denning" in 1975.
Leyland Australia, (forerunner of JRA), acquired the DENNING business in 1968.

Alan may well have stayed on in some capacity but, my point here is that the DENNING that most enthusiasts acquaint with the Denning name is a product of Leyland. They spent much time, effort and innovation to produce a Coach, specifically for the Australian market and conditions. Testament to this effort is the longevity of the marque with many examples still performing outstanding duty as Coaches or Motor Homes here and in NZ.

Earlier DENNING units such as the Squareline were, for their time, certainly outstanding but, not a spit on the Leyland Denning units.

I don't wish to detract from Alan's role in the industry as he certainly deserves cudos for his efforts but, let's not forget the giant contribution to the DENNING name by Leyland Australia. There is a story in itself there!
The "Green lines", sorting the men from the boys!
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

I learn more and more every time I log onto the ATDB - Thank you for that insight Dial 000 - I only ever drove them and I'd be blowed if I knew that!!~! - This is then what needs to be immortalised in some form of memorial with a factual explanation of the machinery by the people that counted in the development of the industry (I can more or less bet that the Museum of Queensland has nothing on any of this!!??) I will be dead keen to get a copy of the Queensland Omnibus & Coach Society's magazine with this article, but I feel it needs a permanent entry somewhere to remind of the impact the industry made and the large number of individuals it employed. PS. Can someone PLEASE POST A PHOTO OF Alan B Denning on this thread?? (JUST GETTING YOUR ATTENTION to ask nicely - Cheers :D 8) )
DSC00382 - Copy.jpg
DSC00382 - Copy.jpg (164.04 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Absolutely Gorgeous!!!
Sahara53
Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

Post by Sahara53 »

Denning operated by Quest Tours Adelaide ex Stateliner - parked outside my residence at the time.
Attachments
Quest Tours Denning No 14.jpg
Quest Tours Denning No 14.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

She looks great Pete...can you make the resolution any bigger for down loading?? Cheers Mate
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

Alan B.Denning book: anyone interested?

I think it would be a great idea if someone did write a book on Alan Denning.It would make for an interesting story.I'm sure there are plenty of photographs out there that would be ideal for such a book.That man created a legend here when he gave Australia a real coach.He needs to be honoured for his achivements in his lifetime.We all need to support the book idea so the book can be written.

If you want to buy a book about the Alan Denning I think now is the time to spread the word around and lets get this book idea going.

What do we want to see in such a book?
A biography of the man himself.
all his bus and coach designs and a photo gallery of various buses/coaches.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”