Hard to follow threads.

News and comments about this board.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Hard to follow threads.

Post by Swift »

Is there anything that can be done to curb overly technical language used in some threads that are hard to follow to the casual reader.
It seems as though they have evolved to be only read by hard core followers of the particular thread.
One thread I have a particular beef with is the NSW rail observations thread with convoluted writing together with bad grammar in places and most irritating, high reliance on acronyms throughout.
If you are going to use them, at least start off with the full wording with it's acronym in brackets before using it in the rest of the post.
Not everyone is a hard core follower of a particular specialty in transport and it comes of as trying to be exclusive. The idea of sharing ideas has been lost by some.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
simonl

Re: Hard to follow threads.

Post by simonl »

Are you referring to common internet abbreviations that you can google?

Some I can understand your point e.g. SWA - Steering Wheel Attendant.
Swift

Post by Swift »

No, I'm referring to Sydney Trains operational specific acronyms bandied about like common language.
Just look at the March rail observations thread to see plenty of examples like PID, config 13, LICS, T1, T3,T4 etc etc.
It's like an aspergers fest and impossible to keep up for someone with only a passing interest to things rail.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Most people in Sydney would know what T1, T2 etc stand for.

But this from a Swift post only today:
an M bus
. So how far do we go? I suspect that M would be less meaningful than the T train line numbers to most people.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

The rail thread clearly has far more problems with use of these obscure codes than occasional bus depot codes which is pretty straightforward in comparison.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I don't know about all of the acronyms used, but T1, T2 etc are train line numbers which can be found on the Sydney Trains website: http://www.sydneytrains.info/
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

TT can mean 4 things (in SA at least). TT as in Torrens Transit, TT as in Timetable, TT as in Transit times. There's also the user "TT", so context is always important when using acronyms. Personally I don't use TT anymore (unless referring to the user), I use Torrens for TT, and leave the other two meanings in their full form so as not to confuse anyone.

I agree with Swift, the first time you're going to use an acronym, put in brackets what it means so everyone is on the same page. There are exceptions to this (like if your post was only going to be one sentance or so), but it's a good general rule.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Swift wrote:The rail thread clearly has far more problems with use of these obscure codes than occasional bus depot codes which is pretty straightforward in comparison.
And one letter bus depot codes you can't search, and no it's not that straightforward. Newer members wouldn't know what "V" stands for. They might think it means Vaucluse, Villawood or Vineyard for example. (I know it's not).

Do private bus depots have one letter codes?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia

Return to “News & Administration”