[NSW] Once upon a time ...... Batterham's Bus Lines

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

[NSW] Once upon a time ...... Batterham's Bus Lines

Post by Centralian »

Known in the early '70's as Batterham's Antelope Tours. Depot was at Kitchener, near Cessnock. They operated a number of school services and charter/tours. Later operated a Cessnock to Sydney daily service. Another operator now passed into history.

TV 588 was this imported Silver Eagle new to Batterham's and later carried mo 5814 registration. Vehicle dates to 1976.

mo 5812 was this Mercedes Benz 0303 with Ansair body of 1980. I believe this vehicle was also new to Batterham's.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pid=20356
MO 5709 with Batterham's was this AEC Merlin 4P2R with MCW body of 1968. Formely MB393 with London Transport.
SMS88AEC
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Merlin MO 7291

Post by SMS88AEC »

Thankyou :D for posting the photo of the Merlin -I am so pleased to finally see a photo of this bus which was scrapped in the early 1980s, by its owner who apparently didnt want to wish this awful bus on anybody else, so I was told by Kirklands who bought the chassis for spares.......

Now I am only missing color photos of MB175 & 180 (both Shave) ,MB186 (Katoomba) and MBS268 to have a full set of all 51 Aussie Merlins :D
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

SMS88AEC wrote: Now I am only missing color photos of MB175 & 180 (both Shave) ,MB186 (Katoomba) and MBS268 to have a full set of all 51 Aussie Merlins :D

Tell me about the Katoomba one. Do you know who the operator was as I don't think I've ever seen a Merlin in the Blue Mtns.
SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

Centralian wrote:
SMS88AEC wrote: Now I am only missing color photos of MB175 & 180 (both Shave) ,MB186 (Katoomba) and MBS268 to have a full set of all 51 Aussie Merlins :D

Tell me about the Katoomba one. Do you know who the operator was as I don't think I've ever seen a Merlin in the Blue Mtns.
Would you allow me to share your photo of the Batterhams Merlin with the English Merlin and Swift owners on http://www.middx.net photo forums?

It was M/o 873 ex Hadfields of Engadine circa 1986. Leopard 1543 saw it and has a photo somewhere although he hasnt managed to find it yet. I went looking for it in June 1988 but found no trace -it was with the guys who owned these:
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

The only full British import I have seen at Katoomba-Leura BS was the example below. I haven't been able to find any reference to it and I have no idea of what it is (Panther ?) but obviously not a Merlin, even with a full front rebuild the window line is not MCW Merlin. I notice the Merlin disposal list details MB186 to Katoomba about 1986 and the shot below certainly pre-dates that. I would love to see the photo if Leopard 1543 finds it, especially if it's in Katoomba-Leura livery. No problems with sharing the Batterhams Merlin photo with the British Merlin & Swift owners photo site. I also have a shot of a Merlin in Morgan Cessnock livery (brown ?) and I'm not sure if it's MB393 after sale or another one.

SMS88AEC

Post by SMS88AEC »

Please do share your brown Merlin photo too -I am very keen to have one shot of each bus with each operator in my virtual library :D
It does look like an MCW Panther with an Aussie front panel -accidents did happen and this looks better than the original IMHO. MB186 Mo 873 may or may not have entered service -Leopard 1543 told me in a pm that it rings a bell but he couldnt remember if it was re-painted for service or just for spare parts.I hope he reads this thread and wants to share that missing photo :shock:
Baby_Bear

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time ...... Batterham's Bus Lines

Post by Baby_Bear »

Does any one have pics of the landseers Batterhams operated?? (or even once passed over to keans)
or a better pic of the silver eagle??

thanks
Landseer
Favourite Vehicle: RFW trucks- Custom Hand built

Post by Landseer »

Looking for a photo of Batterhams RFW coach
Can anyone help
Industry

Post by Industry »

Check Gallery on Bus Australia