Administrator

Rail Observations 2024

Post by Fleet Lists »

Happy New Year.
Living in the Shire.
gascoyne

Re: Rail Observations 2024

Post by gascoyne »

I was at Chatswood station today on platforms 3 and 4. A man in Metro uniform approached and asked was I looking to ride on the N.W. metro because it wasn't running this weekend. I asked why. He said it wasn't because of trackwork; it was because of testing for the forthcoming service to Sydenham.

It's deplorable that the whole line had to be shut down because of testing for a new section.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

gascoyne wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:20 pm I was at Chatswood station today on platforms 3 and 4. A man in Metro uniform approached and asked was I looking to ride on the N.W. metro because it wasn't running this weekend. I asked why. He said it wasn't because of trackwork; it was because of testing for the forthcoming service to Sydenham.

It's deplorable that the whole line had to be shut down because of testing for a new section.
I presume they have to trial full service between Tallawong and Sydenham.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

tonyp wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:38 pm
gascoyne wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:20 pm He said it wasn't because of trackwork; it was because of testing for the forthcoming service to Sydenham.

Of course, with the testing it should be ready upon open with little to no problem.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Glen

Post by Glen »

tonyp wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:38 pm
gascoyne wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:20 pm It's deplorable that the whole line had to be shut down because of testing for a new section.
Could not they do that after hours?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Glen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:25 am Could not they do that after hours?
Overtime lol?
Glen

Post by Glen »

Well it can't be because they need daylight hours.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

gascoyne wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:20 pm I was at Chatswood station today on platforms 3 and 4. A man in Metro uniform approached and asked was I looking to ride on the N.W. metro because it wasn't running this weekend. I asked why. He said it wasn't because of trackwork; it was because of testing for the forthcoming service to Sydenham.

Refer to my profile avatar image.

Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Glen wrote: Could not they do that after hours?
Some of the earlier testing would have occurred after hours, but as it ramps up, testing needs to occur at all hours. At its zenith of the testing programme, the metro will be running 20 hours a day, seven days a week to replicate normal operations. It's not just the metro itself that needs to be tested, but the effects that close by facilities, electrical substations and telephone exchanges for example, have on it.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Wow, that should help patronage on the 610X for a while.
Nath91!

Post by Nath91! »

Were there any signs around the station indicating the metro wasn't running? Usually when there's trackwork you can't miss the dozerns of yellow placards placed at every possible location informing you of the trackwork.

Deplorable is a very strong word.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Linto63 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:47 pm At its zenith of the testing programme, the metro will be running 20 hours a day, seven days a week to replicate normal operations.
They will need to run at least 2 days of full ghost service to verify the operations systems do behave as designed. Any issue found that results in a new software version resets the counter and they have to do the full test from the start. (They probably need to have an end of service/start of service change over tested too, so they need both days of the weekend for ONE complete test run)

They will have to prove that the ENTIRE line can operate an entire day's diagram over the full route from first train to last with no glitches.

The pile of paperwork must be getting quite large by now.
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

There are many things that could be described as deplorable. Such as not conducting the full range of testing, trials and any required rework to ensure the thing reliably operates as it should from the commencement of operations.

Doing the job properly, however, is not deplorable. To think so might out you as one of the basket of deplorables, in a public transport sense.
gascoyne

Post by gascoyne »

Better late than never, T4NSW has published a video about the metro testing -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvxvaNYR_Pg
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Probably should be in the Metro thread, if not already there.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
T9D

Post by T9D »

Tonight I was on a train that terminated at Lindfield platform 3 but then continued on towards Hornsby without any passengers allowed onboard. Could anyone explain why they would do that? Also while waiting at Lindfield the next train also went through without stopping and did not appear to have anyone onboard. Why are Sydney Trains running services without passengers?
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

T9D wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:39 pm Tonight I was on a train that terminated at Lindfield platform 3 but then continued on towards Hornsby without any passengers allowed onboard. Could anyone explain why they would do that? Also while waiting at Lindfield the next train also went through without stopping and did not appear to have anyone onboard. Why are Sydney Trains running services without passengers?
Once a train terminates at Lindfield at platform 3, it can’t go back to the city hence it went to Hornsby.

There could be many reasons to why trains are running empty. Consisting this was last night and with issues at Lidcombe earlier, it was probably decided to empty some Trains and have it run empty to be back on time for it’s next run considering there are trains behind or it was better to have it run empty to reduce more delays. It could also be mechanical issues where they want it to run empty to the sheds. Can be anything really and it’s not unusual to have empty trains running without passengers at all times of the day or night.
T9D

Post by T9D »

hmmm interesting.

The bit I don’t understand is if the train has to keep going to Hornsby then why can’t it take passengers there?

We got dumped at Lindfield and had to wait around 15 minutes for a train to stop and pick us up. The next train went through without stopping, then the one after said Gordon on the front but came into platform 2 to terminate. Finally a Hornsby train turned up but we got kicked out 2 stops later at Gordon. At least after that one it was only a short wait the next Hornsby train but got there almost 30 minutes late.
Last edited by T9D on Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Some late night services are timetabled to terminate and run empty from Chatswood. In a prior timetable, those trips ended at North Sydney but were extended to improve connections onto the Metro line.

There is foreseeably no real demand for such trains to run in revenue through to Hornsby at that time. When they can be emptied, run straight up and be put to bed.

Looking at tonight, the Lindfield terminators, one goes empty to Hornsby to quickly form another run out of there (extra stops would force a delay to the trip or additional staff required), while the two others are express passenger direct to Hornsby then put to bed.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
T9D

Post by T9D »

Aurora wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:00 pm Looking at tonight, the Lindfield terminators, one goes empty to Hornsby to quickly form another run out of there
If we ignored the terminating announcement at Lindfield and stayed in the train I guess we could have had an express to Hornsby? Presumably it would have to open the doors at Hornsby if it is starting another service out of there?
Aurora wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:00 pm (extra stops would force a delay to the trip or additional staff required), while the two others are express passenger direct to Hornsby then put to bed.
The trains that go express from Lindfield to Hornsby are timetabled to take 21 minutes. The trains that go all stops from Lindfield to Hornsby take 20 minutes. :?: :!: :!:
Last edited by T9D on Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

T9D wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:42 pm hmmm interesting.

The bit I don’t understand is if the train has to keep going to Hornsby then why can’t it take passengers there?

We got dumped at Lindfield and had to wait around 15 minutes for a train to stop and pick us up. The next train went through without stopping, then the one after said Gordon on the front but came into platform 2 to terminate. Finally a Hornsby train turned up but we got kicked out 2 stops later at Gordon. At least after that one it was only a short wait the next Hornsby train but got there almost 30 minutes late.
At some point along it’s leg, some cancellation is needed to be on time for it’s next leg and hence you got dumped at Lindfield and it ran to either Gordon or Hornsby to start it’s next leg or to be parked up for the night as there was trains behind which could cover the late running or cancelled service. If we left trains to run as timetabled regardless of lateness, the whole network would be in shambles.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

There’s reports that a H set did runs W570 and W557 from Katoomba to Central today. Interesting allocation to say the least.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

A level crossing incident on the Richmond line this morning resulted in services being turned around at Riverstone. Buses were provided, but trains trapped on the western side were also providing short workings.

I was travelling on the first service to go right through about 11:30. At Mulrgrave we crossed an up service of 2 A sets coupled, running empty cars.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

T39/T47 running sector 2 roster 98 it’s the first time I’ve seen a Tangara running on sector 2 since before the 2013 timetable overhaul and my first trip on a T set in sector 2 since 2012
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:27 pm T39/T47 running sector 2 roster 98 it’s the first time I’ve seen a Tangara running on sector 2 since before the 2013 timetable overhaul and my first trip on a T set in sector 2 since 2012
It’s been noted since last November 2023 that both 98 and 99 runs have been substituted for T sets. This was to allowed crew on Sector 2 to be familiarised with T sets that feature updated cabs for ATP when Tangara’s have their ATP running.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”