Pointer for a newbie

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
BALLZY

Pointer for a newbie

Post by BALLZY »

Please excuse me and point me at the right place if I have this wrong for here.
Transmissions
I'm buying a Boval Futura motorhome. It currently has a DAF XF 250 engine and a 6 Speed Spicer crash box.
Although I 'can' drive a crash box, it's not fun and my wife will not even try. So, what / who / where should I look to see the possibilities and cost of swapping out the crash box for a new synchro box (or maybe even an auto, perish the thought).

swapping engines and gearboxes on cars is simple and I can do that all day, but I don't have the space of the heavy weight jacks and tools to do it on a 12m 13Tonne bus, so I's also need to find a cost effective company too. Any recommendations, opinions (useful ones would be appreciated :D ).

for the Bova Fans (both you, lol) here is the vin number of the bus in question XL9AB21CC03003454.

Thanks in advance
Al (Ballzy) Ball
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Pointer for a newbie

Post by boronia »

You’ll need to get it engineered.
Try a local heavy vehicle repair shop.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
BALLZY

Post by BALLZY »

boronia wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:59 pm You’ll need to get it engineered.
Try a local heavy vehicle repair shop.
Thanks, yes, that will be another consideration too.
bovaboy
Favourite Vehicle: Bova Futura

Post by bovaboy »

Hi Ballzy
I don't know anything about the DAF XF 250 engine, mine has the DAF 1160 DKX and the ZF 6 speed that was factory fitted, given the difficulty (as in nightmare) getting bits for the 1160 and the gearbox, with the added issue of having to engineer the gearbox change, with adaption and other issues, it may be a better option to change out the engine and gearbox package with a later model "something" (engine and gearbox) so at a basic level all you would have to do is engine/gearbox mounts and a tail shaft. I would think there may be more time spent sorting the gearbox linkage than you think.

If your wife has to drive it and she is not keen, the auto would be the go, get one with a retarder to help the engine brake, just have to point it and not hit anything.

Maybe worth the thinking about when doing your costing.

Remember hot rodding and motorhome conversions take twice as much as the budget suggested and 5 times the amount of time you thought.

Good luck with it.

Bovaboy.
BALLZY

Post by BALLZY »

bovaboy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:56 pm Hi Ballzy
I don't know anything about the DAF XF 250 engine...
Thanks Bovaboy. Apparently the XF is a fairly commone DAF engine (i'm told) and I have since found a company in Brisbane that will do a driv in - drive out conversion for $30K and replace the spicer G/box with an Alision auto complete with retarder. So that's the go for us. The additional fuel consumption and potencially lower top speed is not really a consideration for us, certianly not a deal breaker anyway.

Can't wait to get out and travel in her.
bovaboy
Favourite Vehicle: Bova Futura

Post by bovaboy »

Sounds like you have it all under control. Happy travels.
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

We have a Bova with an Allison at work. Goes like a rocket and sounds awesome! So definitely able to be done!
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”