Jan 2021 bus changes - STA region 7

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
In Transit

Re: Jan 2021 bus changes - STA region 7

Post by In Transit »

Swift wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:42 am What about people who aren't locals who want to get to a particular address that happens to be near a stop not serviced by the main bus route. That adds another layer of complication to the outing, making them more likely to say f### this, I'm going to add to traffic and be a one occupant driver because I don't care for this convoluted s### that was once a simple matter of grabbing eIther the 380 or 378 bus that goes along Oxford. Now there's all these these weird new route numbers I have to somehow learn just to go to a place in Paddo.
It's quite the reverse - those people now have the simplicity of a single frequent route along Oxford Street, with the 352 and 440 filling niche roles. It seems pretty clear to me that this is the direction these network changes are heading in - simplifying spaghetti bowl networks to provide simpler, frequent services.

As for the 333 being a weird new route number... its been around for quite a while now! Its neither weird, nor new.
Linto63

Re: Jan 2021 bus changes - STA regions 7 & 9

Post by Linto63 »

In Transit wrote: It seems pretty clear to me that this is the direction these network changes are heading in - simplifying spaghetti bowl networks to provide simpler, frequent services.
High frequency trunk routes with local services feeding off appears to be the current thinking, as introduced in region 7 with 500X and region 8 with the B1 and 100. Canberra did the same thing with its R routes when the light rail opened.

The curtailed route 200 is now a region 9 route, all services being operated out of Waverley.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Bus Terminal West Ryde Station (east side).

Route 500x Bus Terminal not equipped with either a bus stop shelter or seating for waiting passengers. There are no shop awnings to shelter under and where the stop is located has two over hung tress above the footpath

The stop accommodates the length of two articulated vehicles and today at 12.20pm there were intending passengers standing in the rain while two articulated vehicles had their doors closed and no drivers to be seen.

So much for a supposed premium service implement just a few days ago!!!!!!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Ted wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:56 pm Bus Terminal West Ryde Station (east side).

Route 500x Bus Terminal not equipped with either a bus stop shelter or seating for waiting passengers. There are no shop awnings to shelter under and where the stop is located has two over hung tress above the footpath

The stop accommodates the length of two articulated vehicles and today at 12.20pm there were intending passengers standing in the rain while two articulated vehicles had their doors closed and no drivers to be seen.

So much for a supposed premium service implement just a few days ago!!!!!!
The new station entrance scored a direct hit on the old tram waiting shed that served several generations very usefully. The car park entrance also gets in the way of any planning of a useful sheltered link between station and bus.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

The changes to the 500 series services have not gone well. I've had numerous reports of outbound 500X's stopping at any stop requested.
What happened to the Ryde mayor's petition?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

lunchbox wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:41 pm The changes to the 500 series services have not gone well. I've had numerous reports of outbound 500X's stopping at any stop requested.
The incident where a driver was sacked years ago for the crime of not stopping for a lady who grabbed the wheel in a rage after he wouldn't let her off at a non designated stop, must still be on their minds. Just craziness due to politics. Why have an express service if they're that afraid of upsetting their passengers.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
swtt

Post by swtt »

lunchbox wrote:The changes to the 500 series services have not gone well. I've had numerous reports of outbound 500X's stopping at any stop requested.
I'm sure if the marketing was better done, it would be far more successful.

There wasn't even a single online ad for this from what I've observed. It was just an announcement on TfNSW's website, and it went silent afterwards.

Almost as if they were trying to secretly cut services (instead of boosting them).

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

swtt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:03 pm
lunchbox wrote:The changes to the 500 series services have not gone well. I've had numerous reports of outbound 500X's stopping at any stop requested.
I'm sure if the marketing was better done, it would be far more successful.

There wasn't even a single online ad for this from what I've observed. It was just an announcement on TfNSW's website, and it went silent afterwards.

Almost as if they were trying to secretly cut services (instead of boosting them).

For the trunk corridor, it is indeed a service cut.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

You can't compare it with the Ryde tram between White Bay and the city because the route is completely different, but between Top Ryde and White Bay, the tram was only a few minutes slower than the 500X but with more than twice as many stops. So much for the benefits of a limited stops bus! I did a quick run over stop spacings on the 500X and, unlike the exercise I did on the 333 recently, I found that many of the spacings on this one are really long. No wonder people get upset if they can't get off. If they could keep the distances down to 500 metres max, it would be more attractive for users.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I'm sure the Ryde mayor's petition has been dutifully filed under I for irrelevent.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
ftr10

Post by ftr10 »

According to Tripview, it looks as though the Meadowbank station bus stop which was skipped last week on the 518 route has resumed today.
swtt

Post by swtt »

ftr10 wrote:According to Tripview, it looks as though the Meadowbank station bus stop which was skipped last week on the 518 route has resumed today.
Yep. Trip Planner says so too! Image

In Transit

Post by In Transit »

tonyp wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:44 pm You can't compare it with the Ryde tram between White Bay and the city because the route is completely different, but between Top Ryde and White Bay, the tram was only a few minutes slower than the 500X but with more than twice as many stops. So much for the benefits of a limited stops bus! I did a quick run over stop spacings on the 500X and, unlike the exercise I did on the 333 recently, I found that many of the spacings on this one are really long. No wonder people get upset if they can't get off. If they could keep the distances down to 500 metres max, it would be more attractive for users.
It's different circumstances with the 500X though - unlike most of the the 333 (with the exception of the stretch past Centennial Park), there are stretches of the 500X where there is less catchment, and from Drummoyne inwards, the route is also paralleled by alternative all stops services reducing the need for the 500X to stop at any but the busiest bus stops (which still account for the vast majority of Victoria Rd patronage anyway). West of Drummoyne the 501 provides for intermediate stops to be still served, but these stops have relatively low patronage anyway, even where distances between stops are greater.

Horses for courses - network design needs to fit circumstances, not a one size fits all model - and I'm sure we are both in agreement on that front.

As for comparing tram speeds from long ago, it's really completely irrelevant in a practical sense, although I agree it has the superficial attention grabbing that can help attract attention from decision makers and the public. Substantially different traffic congestion, traffic lights with multiple phases, and changes such as not being able to swing on and off a moving vehicle all contribute. Limited stops services on congested corridors such as Victoria Road don't save much time, due to effectively being slowed down by all stops services which are sharing the same bus lane, and without indented bus stops. This is a good argument for simplifying route structure and maximising use of high capacity buses to reduce the number of buses per hour using the bus lane - exactly what has happened to Victoria Road in these changes.

Of course, there's still plenty that could be done that would speed up the buses (we all know what they are, as they are discussed here frequently) - but undoing the current knots in the bus network is an evolutionary path, not a revolutionary one.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

In the absence of the thanks button, be aware that your post is appreciated In Transit. So what's going to happen when the artics come to the end of their lives around 2030? The demand along this corridor sits on the cusp between being served by buses and being served by tram or metro, but the latter two aren't even in a long-term planning pipeline. All routes terminating at White Bay to interchange with metro?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: So what's going to happen when the artics come to the end of their lives around 2030?
Purchase more rigids? We survived perfectly well without artics for decades pre 2005, no reason to suggest we can't again. Artics have their good (and bad) points, but to suggest their disappearance would be the end of the world is hyperbole.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Just wanted to report a very positive experience. Took the 500x from Ryde to West Ryde (waited only 1 minute at Ryde), and connected with a train to Concord West (home) and again, the train pulled up as I got to the station's overhead concourse.

From start to finish: 1455 hrs - 1509 hrs. This wouldn't have been achievable in the past if the buses were running at the rotten 20/30 min frequency (both m52 and old 501), not to mention weekend train frequencies of 15 min are also a relatively "recent" (< 5 years) phenomena on the T9 line (26/11/2017 TT update?).

Swift

Post by Swift »

That's very encouraging to hear swtt. You may be able to sell off the car if you have one and wish to.
That's incredible timing considering how much more direct the car would be.
Three door 12m rigids with a view to all door boarding and telling the RTBU what to go do with itself (stick to it's knitting that is) would make an acceptable compromise, is that right tonyp?
Last edited by Swift on Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

How much of that was luck, rather than planned co-ordination?

One extra red traffic light and yu could well have had a 15 minute wait for the next train.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:29 pm How much of that was luck, rather than planned co-ordination?

One extra red traffic light and yu could well have had a 15 minute wait for the next train.
I was thinking that to begin with but the new regime made that luck possible by the sounds of things.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Swift wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:32 pm I was thinking that to begin with but the new regime made that luck possible by the sounds of things.
Absolutely pure luck, but again, there's no chance of getting lucky even, with a 20/30 min frequency on M52/501 as mentioned.

(I didn't even plan on this trip an hour before I took it!)
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:55 pm Purchase more rigids? We survived perfectly well without artics for decades pre 2005, no reason to suggest we can't again. Artics have their good (and bad) points, but to suggest their disappearance would be the end of the world is hyperbole.
As I've said before, we didn't survive. There wasn't enough capacity. The system got by for 40 years because of stagnant patronage. Stagnant patronage is no longer the case. When patronage starts to rise and you're trying to handle it just with rigids, the result is conga lines, congestion through traffic lights and people not being able to board a bus. This is all basic common sense stuff. Except for the SE, there are no plans for tram or metro lines along most of these busiest bus corridors, so some solution has to be found - other than the previous one of forcing commuters off buses into driving. The level of road congestion and lack of parking nowadays means that "solution" is no longer viable.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Linto63 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:55 pm Purchase more rigids? We survived perfectly well without artics for decades pre 2005, no reason to suggest we can't again. Artics have their good (and bad) points, but to suggest their disappearance would be the end of the world is hyperbole.
Yes, I'm sure the average taxpayer will be brimming with excitement over the need for even greater expenditure on public transport just to carry the same amount of passengers, because of what seems like purely ideological contempt for large-capacity vehicles.

The taxpayer won't just be paying for more buses and people to drive them. More depots will need to be constructed or expanded (land acquisition costs, costs of maintenance). More staff will be needed to refuel and maintain the vehicles, terminus or interchange facilities altered to accomodate greater numbers of buses. Then there are negative externalities like more pollution and more bus congestion.

If artics aren't the solution - well, aren't there alternatives? Is there anything stopping future acquisitions of 14.5m, 3-axle buses with additional doors and a low floor?
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

In Transit wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:32 pm
tonyp wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:44 pm You can't compare it with the Ryde tram between White Bay and the city because the route is completely different, but between Top Ryde and White Bay, the tram was only a few minutes slower than the 500X but with more than twice as many stops. So much for the benefits of a limited stops bus! I did a quick run over stop spacings on the 500X and, unlike the exercise I did on the 333 recently, I found that many of the spacings on this one are really long. No wonder people get upset if they can't get off. If they could keep the distances down to 500 metres max, it would be more attractive for users.
It's different circumstances with the 500X though - unlike most of the the 333 (with the exception of the stretch past Centennial Park), there are stretches of the 500X where there is less catchment, and from Drummoyne inwards, the route is also paralleled by alternative all stops services reducing the need for the 500X to stop at any but the busiest bus stops (which still account for the vast majority of Victoria Rd patronage anyway). West of Drummoyne the 501 provides for intermediate stops to be still served, but these stops have relatively low patronage anyway, even where distances between stops are greater.

Horses for courses - network design needs to fit circumstances, not a one size fits all model - and I'm sure we are both in agreement on that front.

As for comparing tram speeds from long ago, it's really completely irrelevant in a practical sense, although I agree it has the superficial attention grabbing that can help attract attention from decision makers and the public. Substantially different traffic congestion, traffic lights with multiple phases, and changes such as not being able to swing on and off a moving vehicle all contribute. Limited stops services on congested corridors such as Victoria Road don't save much time, due to effectively being slowed down by all stops services which are sharing the same bus lane, and without indented bus stops. This is a good argument for simplifying route structure and maximising use of high capacity buses to reduce the number of buses per hour using the bus lane - exactly what has happened to Victoria Road in these changes.

Of course, there's still plenty that could be done that would speed up the buses (we all know what they are, as they are discussed here frequently) - but undoing the current knots in the bus network is an evolutionary path, not a revolutionary one.
On the question of bus stop spacing, why are bus stops 204717 and 204760 so close to each other?

https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... 0x/26500-x
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: As I've said before, we didn't survive. There wasn't enough capacity. The system got by for 40 years because of stagnant patronage.
The system was trimmed down to meet demand. Was it the government, who said right you lot off, go and buy a car? Of course not.
tonyp wrote: When patronage starts to rise and you're trying to handle it just with rigids, the result is conga lines, congestion through traffic lights and people not being able to board a bus.
And artics queued up don't cause conga lines, of course they do. That was in evidence when they were operating most Metrobus services and would punch in Park Street.
Merc1107 wrote: Yes, I'm sure the average taxpayer will be brimming with excitement over the need for even greater expenditure on public transport just to carry the same amount of passengers, because of what seems like purely ideological contempt for large-capacity vehicles.
When region 6 was privatised we were told that it would be more efficient because Transit Systems would be driven by the profit motive. That it has elected to move on a sizeable part of its mid-life articulated fleet while hanging onto rigids twice as old, suggests it believes the numbers stack up in favour of rigids.
Merc1107 wrote: Yes, I'm sure the average taxpayer will be brimming with excitement over the need for even greater expenditure on public transport just to carry the same amount of passengers, because of what seems like purely ideological contempt for large-capacity vehicles.
The biggest increase in cost would be in drivers. You are aware that a rigid will have lower capital and operational costs, smaller engine, smaller footprint etc? Five rigids would have the the same footprint as needed for three artics, so neither would cost any more to stable.
Merc1107 wrote: If artics aren't the solution - well, aren't there alternatives? Is there anything stopping future acquisitions of 14.5m, 3-axle buses with additional doors and a low floor?
The current fleet of artics will be around until at least the end of the decade. Who knows how many restructures will happen at a departmental and government level not to mention not to mention how many people end up returning to work in offices. A lot of water to go under the bridge before a decision needs to be made on this one.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

stupid_girl wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:40 pm On the question of bus stop spacing, why are bus stops 204717 and 204760 so close to each other?

https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... 0x/26500-x
204760 is in an indented bay and used during the peak only. Outside of these times, 204717 is used instead which is in the kerbside lane just prior to the indented bay (which is a turning lane into the side street at other times). So essentially only one of the two stops is in operation at any one time.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”