• Advertisement

NSW Railway Observations 2020

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2020

Postby Engineering » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:49 am

Trains west twitter reported there are 52 carriages stuck at Lithgow and Mt Victoria west of the Leura landlslip. Currently most BMT trains have to run as 4 cars only due to the lack of rolling stock.

Is there any possibility a loco could haul those via the freight lines to Parkes, Cootamundra, Goulburn, then back up to Sydney?

Happy to be told this idea is either impossible, stupid, impractical etc. (eg even if you could haul them, perhaps they can’t be stabled overnight anywhere).
Engineering

Postby Aurora » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 am

The estimate is end of the week for reopening so I think they will just wait it out and continue taking some cars from North until then.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Aurora

Favourite Vehicle: C set

Postby Campbelltown busboy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:16 am

B21 is currently running as a 7 car set as N1621 is locked off just saw it at Parramatta doing a city bound T2 inner west service
1000 posts and counting
1st post Sun Aug 11 2013 8:04pm
1000th post Sun Dec 15 2019 4:30pm
Campbelltown busboy

Favourite Vehicle: MAN 19.320 Bustech VST

Postby matthewg » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 am

Engineering wrote:
Happy to be told this idea is either impossible, stupid, impractical etc. (eg even if you could haul them, perhaps they can’t be stabled overnight anywhere).

The 'deckers are out of gauge for the country rail network I believe. The V sets might be narrow-bodied, but they are long and high.

The entire recovery route would have to be assessed for clearances. '

They can probably clear at least one of the tracks past the slip for diesel haulage quicker than assessing the roundabout alternative route.
matthewg

Postby BroadGauge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 am

Engineering wrote:Trains west twitter reported there are 52 carriages stuck at Lithgow and Mt Victoria west of the Leura landlslip. Currently most BMT trains have to run as 4 cars only due to the lack of rolling stock.

Is there any possibility a loco could haul those via the freight lines to Parkes, Cootamundra, Goulburn, then back up to Sydney?

If there's still an Endeavour stabled at Lithgow as you've implied (those are the only sets stabling there presently), they could arrange a transfer back in a similar fashion to last month's Lithgow - Dubbo - Binnaway - Werris Creek - Broadmeadow transfer.

It would be more difficult trying to arrange for the transfer of double deck sets, particularly with structural clearances and the lack of accreditation on the ARTC network for them. I note that the two V set carriages in Goulburn at the NSW Police Academy were transferred from Chullora by road.
BroadGauge

Favourite Vehicle: Car

Postby boronia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:31 am

matthewg wrote:
Engineering wrote:

The 'deckers are out of gauge for the country rail network I believe. The V sets might be narrow-bodied, but they are long and high.

The entire recovery route would have to be assessed for clearances. '

They can probably clear at least one of the tracks past the slip for diesel haulage quicker than assessing the roundabout alternative route.

The XPT appears to be still running over the mountains (at an earlier timetable), so the other track must be clear. A photo shows a OHW stanchion dislodged and fouling one track, but that could be easily removed.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Aurora » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 am

Campbelltown busboy wrote:B21 is currently running as a 7 car set as N1621 is locked off just saw it at Parramatta doing a city bound T2 inner west service

And your point? Any day of the week there are trains operating with cars locked off from various issues like mechanical and vandalism. BTW, it is still running as an 8-car set, they did not remove the locked car from the consist did they? Bit misleading there.
M 5885.
Aurora

Postby BroadGauge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm

boronia wrote:The XPT appears to be still running over the mountains (at an earlier timetable), so the other track must be clear.

The last XPT to operate through that section was earlier on Saturday before the landslip occurred.

Monday's service was replaced by road coaches (as per the present post-bushfires interim schedule) as was the Broken Hill Xplorer (supposed to be a train), Tuesday's Dubbo XPT commenced from Lithgow, and today's service is replaced by road coaches for the entire journey "due to mechanical issues". No idea what is planned for tomorrow but I'm going to be cynical and guess the same thing as today.

The Indian Pacific this morning used the Parkes - Stockinbingal line and approached Sydney via the Southern Highlands, and will be departing this afternoon using the same route.
BroadGauge

Postby Centralian » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:35 pm

There's a 4 car set sitting at Leura Station Platform 2 since the landslip, and each day I pass an extra carriage has been extensively grafitied on the side away from the platform.
Still one left to go since I last looked. :(
Centralian

Postby boronia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20 pm

BroadGauge wrote:
boronia wrote:The XPT appears to be still running over the mountains (at an earlier timetable), so the other track must be clear.

The last XPT to operate through that section was earlier on Saturday before the landslip occurred.

Monday's service was replaced by road coaches (as per the present post-bushfires interim schedule) as was the Broken Hill Xplorer (supposed to be a train), Tuesday's Dubbo XPT commenced from Lithgow, and today's service is replaced by road coaches for the entire journey "due to mechanical issues". No idea what is planned for tomorrow but I'm going to be cynical and guess the same thing as today.

The Indian Pacific this morning used the Parkes - Stockinbingal line and approached Sydney via the Southern Highlands, and will be departing this afternoon using the same route.

TripView app is still showing the Bathurst ENDVR services running normally, including today, this app is usually good for alterations in real time.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby boronia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:37 pm

Lots of comments in the media about the shortage of V sets, and the need to operate 4 cars instead of 8.

Can't later model suburban cars work through to Springwood, I'm sure G sets used to?
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby Transport Buff » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm

boronia wrote:Lots of comments in the media about the shortage of V sets, and the need to operate 4 cars instead of 8.

Can't later model suburban cars work through to Springwood, I'm sure G sets used to?

Yes, I'm pretty sure G Sets were a common sight on the Blue Mountains Line, that complemented the V Sets, before the introduction of the Oscars.

I did once seen a Tangara at Springwood a couple years back. Not sure of it was a T or G Set, though. A G Set would suit the intercity requirements of the Blue Mountains Line.

Also, Oscars did previously operate on the few peak-only daily Springwood to Wyong via Central services, in both directions.

Would be an interesting time to see Oscars or even T/G Sets back on the Blue Mountains Line. :)

Cheers,
Transport Buff
Love the sound of Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH CNG, Scania K310UB
Yay - NIF!
Excited for Sydney Metro NW, C&SW
Excited for CSELR
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD7ijd ... BZFksdraqg
Transport Buff

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLEA Volgren CR228L

Postby boronia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:29 pm

I'm sure passengers would prefer to sit in a 8T or 8A than stand in a 4V.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby Engineering » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks to those who answered my earlier question re option of trying to reposition the stuck inter Urbans via the Parkes freight line.

Full version of press conference with Howie Collins

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... xKnPjePfKc

Leura repairs likely to be “weeks”.

Also interesting to see how a very complete and informative 12 minute press conference then gets cuts down to a 5 second sound byte for the 6 pm news.
Last edited by Engineering on Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineering

Postby moa999 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:09 pm

Interesting comments at 6min that the metro signalling is now mostly in the ceiling and was mostly untouched from the water.

Whereas had it been the old heavy rail signalling the line would be out for a while longer.
moa999

Postby BroadGauge » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:30 pm

boronia wrote:Can't later model suburban cars work through to Springwood, I'm sure G sets used to?

I got this photo of T66 at Glenbrook back in January 2009 - back then this was a regular weekday working during the afternoon peak:

https://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=267992
BroadGauge

Postby ed24 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:02 pm

Some of the orange station signage is fading quite badly already - I wonder how long it was expected to last
ed24

Postby 745-Castle Hill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Probably an indicator that it’s time for another signage change. Hahaha :lol:
745-Castle Hill

Favourite Vehicle: CDC CB30

Postby Frodo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Wonder why they don't send some 8T or 8H up the mountains instead of all the 4V (or take some CCN V sets and replace those with T/G sets) - I noticed that today for peak services, BMT services were changed to pickup only at Strathfield, Parramatta, Blacktown and Penrith during the PM peak.

Back when G sets were operating intercity runs, they would sometimes be replaced by normal T-sets. I also recall a few times in 2012 when even some K-sets (and T sets) did Wyong services for a couple of weeks, for whatever reason I don't recall...
Frodo

Postby boronia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 pm

One of the problems may be crewing. BMT drivers/guards may not be qualified to work on suburban stock, and suburban crews might not be be qualified for BMT line operations. Perhaps not enough spare crews for doubling up?
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby boronia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 pm

I've noticed that BMT services have displays at Central showing the normal destination (e.g Mt Vic) with "change for buses" inserted in the display after Springwood.

But from Strathfield on, the displays just show Springwood as the destination.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby Aurora » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:33 pm

boronia wrote:I've noticed that BMT services have displays at Central showing the normal destination (e.g Mt Vic) with "change for buses" inserted in the display after Springwood.

They are changed locally at Central to indicate to passengers that a service is still provided all the way, just a matter of changing mid way for a bus. One of the few locations that have the ability to do so.
M 5885.
Aurora

Postby Glen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 pm

ed24 wrote:Some of the orange station signage is fading quite badly already - I wonder how long it was expected to last

One of my favourite orange signs is the one at Orange.

A real case of stating the obvious. :lol:
Glen

Postby Fleet Lists » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:The rail replacement routes being used between Mount Victoria and Bathurst up to 31/1/2020 are
2BM https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /2bm/012BM
31BM https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... bm/0131B-M
32BM https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... bm/0132B-M
6ABM https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... bm/016AB-M

But just for this weekend only 31 BM and 6ABM are not operating, replaced by route 6BM which operates all the way to Central https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... /6bm/016BM

There is a further route 10BM https://transportnsw.info/routes/detail ... bm/0110B-M which operates between Lithgow and Bathurst serving Tarana and Rydal. The timetable for this is well hidden.

Some further new versions of some of these routes.
2BM 17/2 and 24/2 gradually reducing services - no longer any weekend.
31BM 17/2 to 21/2 reduces services weekdays only
10BM 13/2 to 20/2. Still some weekend services as well as weekday services.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby boronia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Aurora wrote:
boronia wrote:I've noticed that BMT services have displays at Central showing the normal destination (e.g Mt Vic) with "change for buses" inserted in the display after Springwood.

They are changed locally at Central to indicate to passengers that a service is still provided all the way, just a matter of changing mid way for a bus. One of the few locations that have the ability to do so.

How many people would actually notice that extra line inserted in the display? It is hardly noticeable even if you are deliberately looking for it. Most would simply be checking that their destination station is showing.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW