• Advertisement

Full Low Floor Buses and Singapore

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Re: Full Low Floor Buses and Singapore

Postby Merc1107 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:31 pm

TA3001 wrote:What exactly has caused the rapid downfall with many modern (and mainly suburban) bus body designs in Australia?
We're probably beginning to diverge from the topic at hand here. And I'm not interested in another Volgren vs Customs vs Bustech (etc) debate.

What I will do is point out the obvious. We have State Governments who, for better or worse, chase votes through local content requirements. That's the first problem - in Australia, you're creating these isolated little pockets of manufacturing that can't necessarily produce all that efficiently*. Then you have Governments with limited budgets effectively awarding tenders for the supply of vehicles to the lowest bidder; Australia is a relatively expensive place to manufacture goods (high wages, costs associated with sourcing components not produced in Australia from distant overseas manufacturers, Government regulation) so straight away there will be some sort of tradeoff when these small, inefficient and costly manufacturers are asked to produce something "cheaply."

The result is an end product that is built to a price, rather than to a standard. There are instances where this isn't necessarily the case, but to raise a frequent topic of discussion; this is likely the reason why fully low floor vehicles, with multiple doors haven't gained traction as quickly as elsewhere. It is also why enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike notice fit and finish issues with even brand-new buses, crap ergonomics for the driver and other peculiar design niggles.

*I'm not suggesting manufacturing is best lost to overseas, only pointing out that small, low-scale, isolated manufacturers wouldn't be as efficient as a more centralised operation in some part of the country.
This also creates a barrier to potential competitors who have not established themselves in a particular state; if they were to setup a factory locally, winning a supply contract over a competitor could decimate the jobs of one firm in favour of another which wouldn't be a good look for the Politicians.
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Postby Bus Suggestions » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:14 am

TA3001 wrote:I'm not sure if Volgren still have that quiet ding sound when the button is pressed, but I know Bustech includes the 'next stop requested' when the button's pressed, and Custom ones now has that horrible unpleasantly loud jackpot tone which follows the simple beep. The beep is the only sound audible in the ex Sydney Iveco CB80s though.

Well, most Optimus buses/Optimi in Perth have that ear-popping buzzer, but I've observed that Transperth/Transdev bus 2165 (Volvo B7RLE/Optimus) has the bell sound rather than the buzzer.
Transperth: The Best Privatisation Model
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxgB_b5NiVAiHE3M7AnDrnA
Bus Suggestions

Favourite Vehicle: Transperth 'Oddballs'

Postby TA3001 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:58 am

Bus Suggestions wrote:Well, most Optimus buses/Optimi in Perth have that ear-popping buzzer, but I've observed that Transperth/Transdev bus 2165 (Volvo B7RLE/Optimus) has the bell sound rather than the buzzer.

That's disgraceful. You should put in a complaint about it if it's annoying you to the point where it's an assault on your ears. It is not acceptable in my opinion for passengers to be disturbed by bus body design flaws.
TA3001

Favourite Vehicle: Hills B58. In service - 1640

Postby Merc1107 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:33 pm

The latest deliveries in the 2900-series now feature a stop-request "Bell" recording rather than the buzzer/bleep... What was wrong with a physical bell, I'll never understand.
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Postby Bus Suggestions » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Good news for TA3001! Transperth seem to now be fitting the "bell" recording onto all their buses that originally had a buzzer, in addition to new deliveries!
Transperth: The Best Privatisation Model
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxgB_b5NiVAiHE3M7AnDrnA
Bus Suggestions

Favourite Vehicle: Transperth 'Oddballs'

Postby TA3001 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:11 pm

I tend to cringe nowadays when I hear the term 'new bus'. But this is because the oldest ones which they're stealing the spots of aren't just another bus to me anymore.

And I have never traveled on Perth PT at all, so it looks like you'll be the one that's happy about the tone being less ear piercing.
TA3001

Favourite Vehicle: Hills B58. In service - 1640

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion