• Advertisement

Station Link Observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: Station Link Observations

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:45 pm

StationLink, outside of peak hours, I admit, it's decent. Frequent, can usually get a seat, nice new buses.

But I stress, one of its biggest weaknesses is easily the fact that of seven routes, all but one don't run outside of Monday to Friday peak hours. They really should've made the one (sorry don't know off the route number off the top of my head) between Macquarie Uni and St Leonards full time, both directions - it's heaps more useful than SL1, feels like roughly the same travel time to/from Chatswood, and then a shorter train journey to the City from St Leonards.
Scania K280UB CB80 > Volvo B7RLE CB80

Millennium > Waratah
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: STA Scania K280UB CC CB80

Postby Swift » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Unfortunately, it's primary purpose is to follow where the line runs. The St Leonard route has to play second fiddle.
2582 in George Street Haymarket 2005.
Ahh..round tops! Remember those?
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby BroadGauge » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Swift wrote:Unfortunately, it's primary purpose is to follow where the line runs. The St Leonard route has to play second fiddle.

That might be the logic of the planners, but the purpose of the replacement service should be to take people to where they want to go, not to attempt to mimic the same experience of riding on a train.

Usually in Sydney they're actually pretty good in that regard. You don't see, for instance, passengers from Gosford being forced to travel via Woy Woy on replacement buses, just because it's the way that the train normally goes.
BroadGauge

Favourite Vehicle: Car

Postby swtt » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm

BroadGauge wrote:
Swift wrote:Unfortunately, it's primary purpose is to follow where the line runs. The St Leonard route has to play second fiddle.

That might be the logic of the planners, but the purpose of the replacement service should be to take people to where they want to go, not to attempt to mimic the same experience of riding on a train.

Usually in Sydney they're actually pretty good in that regard. You don't see, for instance, passengers from Gosford being forced to travel via Woy Woy on replacement buses, just because it's the way that the train normally goes.

Not on the Northern line! Semi express buses that have run have tried to follow a 1992-2008 train semi express stopping pattern of Strathfield - West Ryde - Eastwood - Epping - all to Hornsby.

To be honest, they really should skip West Ryde. It's a major deviation for the buses, in not being able to head straight up the A3 and on to Blaxland Road and into Eastwood. Denistone passengers also don't miss out - they can go to Eastwood instead of West Ryde to change for a bus (they get a minibus service anyway due to the narrow streets).

On the other hand, they have bothered to remove the silly Nth Strathfield/Concord West station stops in recent years and simply have a replacement stop on Concord Road - which also avoids the narrow streets. I think there needs to be a major restructure of how bustitution operates, and the previous posts about taking people where they want to go is an excellent point made.

e.g. T1 Northern bustitution:

• Strathfield - Nth Strathfield (Concord Rd) - Concord West (Concord Rd) - Rhodes (Concord Rd) - Eastwood - Epping - all to Hornsby (Cheltenham/Beecroft on Beecroft Road)
  • Strathfield - Rhodes - Meadowbank - West Ryde - Eastwood - Epping
  • Strathfield - Epping - Hornsby
  • West Ryde - Denistone - Eastwood minibus/Kia Carnival :lol:

Replace Strathfield with Olympic Park if Strathfield is too crowded for whatever reason.

So back to StationLink - if there are plans to improve it midway:

• SL4 St Leonards to Macq Uni should run all days, all hours. On weekends, extend to Epping and reduce the frequency of SL1 slightly.
Last edited by swtt on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swtt

Postby moa999 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 pm

BroadGauge wrote:. You don't see, for instance, passengers from Gosford being forced to travel via Woy Woy.

And yet on T4 replacement the Town Hall - Martin Place - Kings Cross loop there is a ridiculously crazy looping through the city
moa999

Postby swtt » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 pm

moa999 wrote:
BroadGauge wrote:. You don't see, for instance, passengers from Gosford being forced to travel via Woy Woy.

And yet on T4 replacement the Town Hall - Martin Place - Kings Cross loop there is a ridiculously crazy looping through the city

Does Town Hall - Martin Place even need a rail replacement service?!?
swtt

Postby sunnyyan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Finally took Station Link for the first time today.
Service was overall decent (run by a Hillsbus Volgren Optimus).
- All door boarding was done at Macquarie Uni and Macquarie Pk
- Having bus marshals does seem to be a bit excessive, given that they didn't do much apart from record the bus on their sheet and tell the driver that the back door is clear. There were actually 2 bus marshals at Macq Uni
- Journey on SL1 from Epping to Chatswood was 20 minutes or so, even though the driver was driving fairly quick (some of those bends on Delhi/Fullers Rd were somewhat scary)
sunnyyan

Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 Evo I CNG

Postby Swift » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:43 pm

sunnyyan wrote:- Having bus marshals does seem to be a bit excessive, given that they didn't do much apart from record the bus on their sheet and tell the driver that the back door is clear. There were actually 2 bus marshals at Macq Uni

Sydney displaying world's best practice as always. :roll:
I somehow think their presence is politically driven (as usual with NSW transport) rather than really being needed.
Swift

Postby tonyp » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:13 am

It depends what the marshalls are doing. In my experience there have always been marshalls at least at major railway stations to generally oversight rail replacement services, as distinct from marshalls who just supervise bus doors. Not sure why they'd need to be checking buses off on paper in these days of GPS tracking but I'm sure there's a reason. Marshalls to supervise doors aren't necessary.

My funniest marshall experience was on a bustitution at Hornsby station. I came out of the station into a crowd waiting at the bus stop, some marshalls leaning against a fence doing nothing in particular and two or three empty buses waiting with the drivers not knowing what they were supposed to be doing. The crowd was getting restless until out of the middle of them appeared a uniformed RAAF officer who said something along the lines of let's get this show on the road, spoke to the first bus driver to establish where he was supposed to go and then loaded the crowd onto the bus before joining it himself. The marshalls just stood there in the background talking to each other. Thank heavens TfNSW is not tasked with defending Australia!
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby boronia » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:01 am

Swift wrote:
sunnyyan wrote:- Having bus marshals does seem to be a bit excessive, given that they didn't do much apart from record the bus on their sheet and tell the driver that the back door is clear. There were actually 2 bus marshals at Macq Uni

Sydney displaying world's best practice as always. :roll:
I somehow think their presence is politically driven (as usual with NSW transport) rather than really being needed.

More likely union driven: "we won't let our members do this unless there is someone there to take the blame if something goes wrong"
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby neilrex » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 am

sunnyyan wrote:Finally took Station Link for the first time today.
Service was overall decent (run by a Hillsbus Volgren Optimus).
- All door boarding was done at Macquarie Uni and Macquarie Pk
- Having bus marshals does seem to be a bit excessive, given that they didn't do much apart from record the bus on their sheet and tell the driver that the back door is clear. There were actually 2 bus marshals at Macq Uni
- Journey on SL1 from Epping to Chatswood was 20 minutes or so, even though the driver was driving fairly quick (some of those bends on Delhi/Fullers Rd were somewhat scary)

That's remarkably quick. I caught it a few times with absolutely zero crowds or traffic, and the best I got was 29 minutes.
neilrex

Postby Richard290 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 pm

swtt wrote:
  • SL4 St Leonards to Macq Uni should run all days, all hours. On weekends, extend to Epping and reduce the frequency of SL1 slightly.

Your weekend extension of SL4 to Epping largely duplicates STA's route 291 service (Epping to McMahons Point), which only runs hourly on weekends and in the off-peak during weekdays. I'm surprised that the 291 didn't receive a weekday frequency increase in line with the wholesale service changes/additions from September 30 - it provides an alternate direct connection between Epping/Macquarie Park and St Leonards/North Sydney via Lane Cove - even moreso now the ECRL is temporarily shut.
Living at the north end of the T6 Line, 513 and the confluence of M54, 513, 546, 549, 553, 625 & 630.
Also living a mile from the Oakes Road interchange.
Richard290

Postby Swift » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:28 pm

neilrex wrote:
That's remarkably quick. I caught it a few times with absolutely zero crowds or traffic, and the best I got was 29 minutes.

There must have been no one getting on and off and no red traffic lights!
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Richard290 wrote:
Your weekend extension of SL4 to Epping largely duplicates STA's route 291 service (Epping to McMahons Point), which only runs hourly on weekends and in the off-peak during weekdays.

No STA service has any business having a frequency like that on a trunk. That is country operator territory.
Swift

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW