• Advertisement

NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby YoYo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Trains from the T2 line being diverted via the T3 via Regents Park this weekend due to trackwork between Cabramatta and Granville.

The train's aren't stopping at any of the stations between Cabramatta to Lidcombe via Regents Park. Ridiculous considering the trip time remains effectively the same as the 3:22 T3 via Regents Park during the week from Cabramatta service (this weekly service has it timetabled to stop at Berala for 3 mins).

Really not sure why Sydney has it in for this portion of the network.
YoYo

Postby Frosty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:30 pm

I had noticed today there was a exCCN train around 10am that had run around the City Circle and terminated at Central any explanation ? Also unusual to see a empty train run through the Airport Line tunnels set A75 southbound I would have thought it run via Sydenham instead.
Frosty

Postby Fleet Lists » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Wiki has been updated today to show that M sets are now kept and maintained at Auburn instead of Eveleigh - I dont believe that is correct. Any comments either way?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby 3805 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:00 pm

The M Sets have moved out from Eveleigh several months ago in preparation of the NIF. They are indeed maintained at Auburn now. The section at Eveleigh where the M Sets were is now being re-built and re-configured for the NIF.
Комитет государственной безопасности​

Postby Fleet Lists » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Have the Oscars also moved to Auburn?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby boronia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:13 pm

M sets are maintained in the Waratah facility, Oscars at UGL Maintrain.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Engineering » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 am

Is there a document or website that lists the run number of each train together with the timetable?

I would find that very handy when looking things up something like anytrip.
Engineering

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:52 pm

boronia wrote:M sets are maintained in the Waratah facility, Oscars at UGL Maintrain.

Thanks - that makes sense but it raises another question.
Wiki states
In 2002 the former ACDEP site was redeveloped as Eveleigh Maintenance Centre, which until 2018 was operated by Downer EDi Rail and served both Sydney Trains' Millennium and Oscar sets,
but as the Oscars are not serviced by Downer, were the Oscars ever serviced at Eveleigh?

wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eveleigh_ ... ps#Closure
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby parraeel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Engineering wrote:Is there a document or website that lists the run number of each train together with the timetable?

There is, but it isn't available to the general public. The SWTT lists the run numbers and set types.
parraeel

Postby boronia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Next There shows run numbers and set types. Also carriage loadings.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby mandonov » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:Wiki has been updated today to show that M sets are now kept and maintained at Auburn instead of Eveleigh - I dont believe that is correct. Any comments either way?

That was my doing. I happened to be on the page and I remembered the move being discussed here when it happened.

If you read the Reliance Rail contract/agreement, the ability to take over maintenance of the M sets is specifically set out as a requirement. I do wonder if Auburn has the capacity for A's, M's, and all the options for B's.
mandonov

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks - I have since expanded the wiki article to cover the move in 2018 but I am still questing the Eveleigh article where it states that the Oscars were being serviced there by Downer as they are not serviced by them but by UGL as Boronia states. So that throws doubt on the Eveleigh statement.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby mandonov » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:Thanks - I have since expanded the wiki article to cover the move in 2018 but I am still questing the Eveleigh article where it states that the Oscars were being serviced there by Downer as they are not serviced by them but by UGL as Boronia states. So that throws doubt on the Eveleigh statement.

According to the NIF Eveleigh REF: https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/sites/ ... n-body.pdf (Section 2.1)

As part of current operations, the Precinct is primarily used to undertake stabling and maintenance activities as follows:

 Millennium fleet – The Millennium fleet is an electric fleet operated by Sydney Trains and are maintained under contract by Downer EDI. Maintenance of the Millennium fleet occurs on Maintenance Roads (tracks) 5-9 within the Millennium Shed and Road 10 which runs adjacent to the southern wall of the Millennium Shed. The Millenniums are part of the wider Sydney suburban fleet operated by Sydney Trains which includes T-sets (Tangara), S-sets, A-sets (Waratahs), C-sets and K-sets. Stabling and maintenance of these suburban fleets occurs at other stabling and maintenance facilities located throughout the rail network. Any train type however can utilise the Precinct on an as needs basis.

 Outer Suburban Rail Car (Oscar) fleet – The Oscar fleet is an electric fleet operated by NSW TrainLink. Maintenance of the Oscar fleet is carried out by the Sydney Trains Fleet Maintenance Division and occurs on Maintenance Roads 1-4 within the Oscar Maintenance Shed.

 Endeavour/XPLORER fleet – The Endeavour and XPLORER fleets are diesel powered trains operated by NSW TrainLink. Maintenance is carried out by Sydney Trains Fleet Maintenance Division within the Endeavour/XPLORER Maintenance Shed.

 Heritage train fleet – The heritage fleet comprises a mixture of diesel and steam engine heritage trains. These trains are operated and maintained by Rail Heritage. The heritage fleet is stabled and maintained within the Large Erecting Shop.

It seems the Millennium was the outlier in the precinct by not being maintained in house.
With NIF maintenance being contracted to UGL anyway, I can see Oscar maintenance being handed over.
mandonov

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks again - I will tweet the Eveleigh page a bit more so that hopefully it will be a bit closer to the truth than it was.

Your initial change which I questioned has resulted in a few other things being sorted out.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby BeauGiles » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:48 pm

parraeel wrote:
Engineering wrote:Is there a document or website that lists the run number of each train together with the timetable?

There is, but it isn't available to the general public. The SWTT lists the run numbers and set types.

It's available to the public for anyone who registers at https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/d ... plete-gtfs

Sure, it's not a SWTT, but it's the same data in a nice standard format used by pretty much every transport operator
Posts made are my own personal opinions, and aren't made on behalf of my employer.
BeauGiles

Postby Engineering » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:06 am

boronia wrote:Next There shows run numbers and set types. Also carriage loadings.

Thx. I usually use tripview, and did (with some help) find a setting to show run numbers

“There’s an option to enable it. If you tap on a train to show the detail view (with map at the top and timetable at the bottom), then tap on the menu in the top right, there should be a ‘Show Run Numbers’ option.”
Engineering

Postby sunnyyan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 pm

S81 + a friend parked up on plat 20 at Central (possibly broken down) around 8:30 this morning.

A13 seen today with 2nd car locked off. No lights on but destination boards were still on.
sunnyyan

Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 Evo I CNG

Postby tonyp » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am

South Coast trains more popular than a Grand Final:

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... al/?cs=300
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Frosty » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm

tonyp wrote:South Coast trains more popular than a Grand Final:

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... al/?cs=300

There really isn't much that can be done considering shortage of trains currently. Unless maybe spilt the 8 car train at Wollongong have 4 cars run express back into Sydney.
Frosty

Postby jpp42 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:00 pm

What's the V set availability like? I know they don't run on the South Coast anymore but they could replace some runs on the central coast and cascade some extra H sets to the south?
jpp42

Postby Stonesourscotty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 pm

H10 looks extremely scruffy easily the scruffiest Oscar at the moment it's just left strathfield towards Newwy
Stonesourscotty

Favourite Vehicle: Custom Bodied Tri Axle Volvo

Postby TSE_SecretAni » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:16 pm

I think they should get Tangara set for service to Wollongong for extra service during the peak on weekday.
TSE_SecretAni

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE

Postby J_Busworth » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 pm

TSE_SecretAni wrote:I think they should get Tangara set for service to Wollongong for extra service during the peak on weekday.

On weekdays most of the all stops Port Kembla to Waterfall services are operated by Tangaras already. Perhaps if the remainder of the local SCO services are replaced by Tangaras during the peaks, it could potentially free up one or two H sets to build up ex-Sydney services.
https://transportnsw.wordpress.com
Eternally waiting for the Eastern Suburbs rail line to make it to Randwick
J_Busworth

Postby Frosty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:01 pm

J_Busworth wrote:
TSE_SecretAni wrote:I think they should get Tangara set for service to Wollongong for extra service during the peak on weekday.

On weekdays most of the all stops Port Kembla to Waterfall services are operated by Tangaras already. Perhaps if the remainder of the local SCO services are replaced by Tangaras during the peaks, it could potentially free up one or two H sets to build up ex-Sydney services.

Would there be enough Tangara's for regular T4 services ?
Frosty

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Some Tangaras operate on other routes so they could be replaced by other trains.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW