• Advertisement

NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby swtt » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Total dishonesty this weekend with T1 Northern line trains between Epping and the City via Strathfield cut to every 30 minutes, and the trackwork alerts only say a "changed timetable" without mentioning the cut in frequency!

Here is my scathing feedback to TfNSW. Let's see what action they take:

The trackwork alerts page of the transportnsw.info site in woefully inadequate.

There is only a brief mention of T1 Northern Line trains running to a "changed timetable", but nowhere does it mention that the frequency of services has been reduced to an appalling, 19th century, 30 minute service, until you wander over to the trip planner.

Whilst there is trackwork between Strathfield and Central, thereby reducing the capacity, at least the trains could've been running every 15 minutes between Epping and Strathfield. All this talk of "More Trains, More Services" is simply talk when on weekends like this, the service level gets reduced so that nobody would bother to take public transport unless it was so necessary.

At least if the frequency is to be cut, the trackwork posters/alerts should read "Services frequency will be reduced from every 15 minutes to every 30 minutes". This is bordering on dishonesty.


Image
User avatar
swtt
 
Posts: 4759
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Aurora » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Think you would find that is a changed timetable. At least it alerts you to check your trip to adequately plan.

Dishonesty would be saying nothing...
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Aurora
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:54 pm
Location: Sydney Reg 13
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 60 times
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby swtt » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Aurora wrote:Think you would find that is a changed timetable. At least it alerts you to check your trip to adequately plan.

Dishonesty would be saying nothing...


A "changed timetable", I take that to be the same frequency, but different departure times.

When running transport services, if you cut or boost frequencies, you should say so pretty explicitly and not just leave it to the reader to work out it is a "changed timetable".

Even in its final days, the Sydney Trains website alerts would alert people to say, "T2 Leppington services run at a reduced frequency" and not just a "changed timetable".
User avatar
swtt
 
Posts: 4759
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby andy_centralcoast » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:43 pm

The same vague "Trains run to a changed timetable" message was used last week for all T5 services being cancelled after 7pm.

A changed timetable would imply to most people that there might be slightly different departure times (eg a few minutes earlier or later than normal), or different stopping patterns... not a halving of service frequency (every 2nd train cancelled) or the complete cut of all T5 services.
Last edited by andy_centralcoast on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy_centralcoast
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Location: NSW
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby swtt » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:46 pm

andy_centralcoast wrote:The same vague "Trains run to a changed timetable" message was used last week for all T5 services being cancelled after 7pm.

To a reasonable person, a changed timetable would imply different departure times, or different stopping patterns, not a halving of services or a complete cut of all services.


Agree. It should read "T5 Schofields services will not be operating after 7 pm from Leppington. Change at Granville for connecting services" or something like that.
User avatar
swtt
 
Posts: 4759
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby andy_centralcoast » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:58 pm

swtt wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:The same vague "Trains run to a changed timetable" message was used last week for all T5 services being cancelled after 7pm.

To a reasonable person, a changed timetable would imply different departure times, or different stopping patterns, not a halving of services or a complete cut of all services.


Agree. It should read "T5 Schofields services will not be operating after 7 pm from Leppington. Change at Granville for connecting services" or something like that.


Yes, exactly. Much more helpful to customers than the mysterious "trains run to a changed timetable".

For Epping trains this weekend they could simply say "Services between Epping and Central via Strathfield are reduced to once every 30 minutes." For added detail they could include "Services that normally depart Epping at 25 past and 55 past the hour have been cancelled."

I wonder how the frequency reduction is affecting crowding this weekend, especially for Eastwood which also lost Central Coast trains stopping there. I'm surprised it wasn't added back this weekend to make up for the local service reduction.
andy_centralcoast
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Location: NSW
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Frosty » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Interestingly though on the Airport Line & City Circle trackwork with MacArthur trains running via Sydenham & Revesby via Airport the Macarthur trains are stopping additionally at Kingsgrove.
Frosty
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Transtopic » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:09 pm

andy_centralcoast wrote:
swtt wrote:Agree. It should read "T5 Schofields services will not be operating after 7 pm from Leppington. Change at Granville for connecting services" or something like that.


Yes, exactly. Much more helpful to customers than the mysterious "trains run to a changed timetable".

For Epping trains this weekend they could simply say "Services between Epping and Central via Strathfield are reduced to once every 30 minutes." For added detail they could include "Services that normally depart Epping at 25 past and 55 past the hour have been cancelled."

I wonder how the frequency reduction is affecting crowding this weekend, especially for Eastwood which also lost Central Coast trains stopping there. I'm surprised it wasn't added back this weekend to make up for the local service reduction.

I wonder whether the government has had any input into this changed attitude, or is it just an arrogant TfNSW dropping the ball, where customer service isn't their priority, compared with the service deliverers who are at the coal-face? It's telling that this has happened as TfNSW has taken over the transport agency information.
Transtopic
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:10 pm
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby stupid_girl » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Frosty wrote:Interestingly though on the Airport Line & City Circle trackwork with MacArthur trains running via Sydenham & Revesby via Airport the Macarthur trains are stopping additionally at Kingsgrove.

Is it to facilitate same platform transfer for customers with luggage?
stupid_girl
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby andy_centralcoast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:02 am

"urgent track equipment repairs at Granville" causing some big delays this morning with lots of congestion between Strathfield and Granville. Some trains delayed over an hour.

Looks like some T2 trains are diverting via Regents Park.

With all the spare capacity between Strathfield and Epping this weekend, I'm surprised some Western Line trains aren't getting sent up to Rhodes, Eastwood or Epping.
andy_centralcoast
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Location: NSW
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby swtt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:49 am

andy_centralcoast wrote:"urgent track equipment repairs at Granville" causing some big delays this morning with lots of congestion between Strathfield and Granville. Some trains delayed over an hour.

Looks like some T2 trains are diverting via Regents Park.

With all the spare capacity between Strathfield and Epping this weekend, I'm surprised some Western Line trains aren't getting sent up to Rhodes, Eastwood or Epping.


Yeah, instead cutting the T1 Northern frequency to a half of what it usually is!
User avatar
swtt
 
Posts: 4759
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby andy_centralcoast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Today's delays have been noticed by SMH - https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 4zrld.html

Unfortunately crew displacement issues from the disruptions have caused one of the half-hourly Epping services to be cancelled, making a 60 minute gap between services on the T1 Northern Line between Epping and Strathfield.
andy_centralcoast
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Location: NSW
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Frosty » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:17 pm

I guess the mistake of T8 Macarthur via Sydenham trains stopping at Kingsgrove forcing those trains to share tracks with all stops Revesby via Airport trains is now the Revesby trains are running late. They were separated from the rest of the network this weekend only running between Revesby & Central P23.
Frosty
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby andy_centralcoast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Frosty wrote:I guess the mistake of T8 Macarthur via Sydenham trains stopping at Kingsgrove forcing those trains to share tracks with all stops Revesby via Airport trains is now the Revesby trains are running late. They were separated from the rest of the network this weekend only running between Revesby & Central P23.

Someone did realise this as Kingsgrove started getting skipped on most of these services.
Attachments
kingsgroveskipped.jpg
kingsgroveskipped.jpg (40.69 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
andy_centralcoast
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Location: NSW
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby stupid_girl » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:02 pm

andy_centralcoast wrote:Today's delays have been noticed by SMH - https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 4zrld.html

Unfortunately crew displacement issues from the disruptions have caused one of the half-hourly Epping services to be cancelled, making a 60 minute gap between services on the T1 Northern Line between Epping and Strathfield.

They should let CCN services to make additional stops to fill the gap.
stupid_girl
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby andy_centralcoast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:17 pm

stupid_girl wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:Today's delays have been noticed by SMH - https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 4zrld.html

Unfortunately crew displacement issues from the disruptions have caused one of the half-hourly Epping services to be cancelled, making a 60 minute gap between services on the T1 Northern Line between Epping and Strathfield.

They should let CCN services to make additional stops to fill the gap.

CCN were already making additional stops between Hornsby & Epping to cover cancelled ECRL services. All stops Hornsby to Strathfield was probably too much.

Lots of T2 cancelled this afternoon and lots of skipped stops on T8.
andy_centralcoast
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Location: NSW
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby swtt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:18 pm

stupid_girl wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:Today's delays have been noticed by SMH - https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 4zrld.html

Unfortunately crew displacement issues from the disruptions have caused one of the half-hourly Epping services to be cancelled, making a 60 minute gap between services on the T1 Northern Line between Epping and Strathfield.

They should let CCN services to make additional stops to fill the gap.
They should fire all of the non customer service minded managers who could only be bothered with running trains on time rather than help stranded customers (and alps have the initiative to request train transpositions)

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
User avatar
swtt
 
Posts: 4759
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby andy_centralcoast » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 pm

All the skipped stops and terminating early does seem like they are more interested in getting trains back to timetable rather than thinking about how to best minimise delays to customers who are not just directly travelling between 2 major stations.

Creative ideas like an ECRL shuttle service may have worked well today, rather than just skipping those stops on every late train coming through.

Some stations were getting skipped by so many consecutive services that there was over an hour wait for a train that stopped.
andy_centralcoast
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm
Location: NSW
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby swtt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:30 pm

andy_centralcoast wrote:All the skipped stops and terminating early does seem like they are more interested in getting trains back to timetable rather than thinking about how to best minimise delays to customers who are not just directly travelling between 2 major stations.

Creative ideas like an ECRL shuttle service may have worked well today, rather than just skipping those stops on every late train coming through.

Some stations were getting skipped by so many consecutive services that there was over an hour wait for a train that stopped.


Upon major delays like this, everything should just be switched over to run all stops where there are trains running, to minimise inconvenience - at least people are still moving, and not stuck on a platform (in the cold as well).
User avatar
swtt
 
Posts: 4759
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby boronia » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Problems on T8 this afternoon with trains running between Central and Revesby only.

This service was showing up on Next There as 24 mins late, note no time for the next one
DSC02536 (Small).jpeg
DSC02536 (Small).jpeg (118 KiB) Viewed 1767 times


It was still there 13 mins later, and passengers were transferred to the next service which actually arrived/departed from Plat 22.
DSC02537 (Small).jpeg
DSC02537 (Small).jpeg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
I wonder if they found the missing carriage?
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 17863
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1627 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby 3805 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:46 pm

There may have been one carriage locked-off due to vandalism or some other issue.
Комитет государственной безопасности​
User avatar
3805
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:56 pm
Location: Lubyanka, MOCKBA (Moscow)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby tonyp » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Having a great time currently waiting here in 7 degrees at Bomaderry to meet people on a service now running nearly 2 hours late and 4 hours after leaving Sydney. Hope they enjoyed the day at least. No wonder we drive. What a joke.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
User avatar
tonyp
 
Posts: 7571
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Shoalhaven
Has thanked: 802 times
Been thanked: 931 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Transtopic » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Am I being overly critical that the management of Sydney/NSW Trains just seems to be getting worse? What happened to sectorisation? It appears that more frequent than not, a breakdown or incident on a particular line has an impact on other sectors, which are supposedly separate.
Transtopic
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:10 pm
Has thanked: 178 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Fleet Lists » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Unfortunately when there is major trackwork like this weekend, sectorisation goes by the board.
Living in the Shire.
User avatar
Fleet Lists
Administrator
 
Posts: 20348
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:49 am
Location: The Shire
Has thanked: 1000 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: NSW Railway Observations - July to December 2018

Postby Frosty » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:43 pm

The only real sector that is seperate is Sector 1 T4 & SCO but that sometimes goes out the window when T4 has to share tracks with other lines during trackwork.
Frosty
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 112 times

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: marcnut1996, tonyp and 13 guests