• Advertisement

Torrens Transit to acquire Light City Buses

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Torrens Transit to acquire Light City Buses

Postby softgrow » Wed May 09, 2018 2:32 pm

From https://indaily.com.au/news/2018/05/09/ ... -adelaide/ (InDaily)

Single operator to control bus services across central Adelaide

Bension Siebert

A single company will operate the bus network across central Adelaide after Torrens Transit acquired the company that runs services to the inner northern and southern suburbs, as well as O-Bahn buses.

About 700 employees and more than 370 buses are to be drawn under the Torrens Transit banner by the middle of the year after the Australian company signed a contract to acquire Light City Buses from Broadspectrum (formerly known as Transfield Services).

LCB has been servicing the Inner North, Inner South and Outer North East contract regions of Adelaide since Torrens Transit offloaded the areas in 2011.

Now that Torrens Transit has taken them back, the only other remaining Adelaide Metro bus service operator is SouthLink, which runs the Outer North, Outer South and Hills areas.

Clint Feuerherdt, CEO of Transit Systems Group which owns Torrens Transit, told InDaily there would be no change to bus timetables or routes for now but the company intended to propose new services to link north-south and east-west routes.

Fueurherdt said the acquisition opened the possibility of more seamless routes.

“It breaks down the barriers between the contract regions,” he said.

“We have a successful history of performance in Adelaide.

Torrens Transit will now take over the North South contract area.

“We are looking forward to bringing world’s best practice to even more Adelaide commuters … we are excited to work with the South Australian Government to deliver improved services for the Adelaide community and ensure the moving public can get on with their day in the most time efficient manner possible.”

Torrens Transit’s contract is set to be reviewed mid-next year for the period until 2023.

SouthLink is owned by a French and Australian joint venture.

“Uber for buses”

The company last year acquired a demand-sensitive “Uber for buses” platform, BRIDJ, which it says may be rolled out to Adelaide in future.

BRIDJ allows users to plug their destination into an app and connect with other nearby users going to the same place.

The commuters congregate to be picked up at a “virtual bus stop” no more than five minutes walk from their location, and the bus routes are chosen in real time to avoid traffic jams.

Torrens Transit has a contract to roll out the service in Sydney and believes the option would work in Adelaide.

“It’s like the Uber for public transport,” said Feuerherdt.

“We’re in the process of rolling that out in Sydney.

“It’s a logical extension for us to introduce that into Adelaide at some point.”

InDaily contacted the offices of Transport Minister Stephan Knoll and Opposition Transport spokesperson Tom Koutsantonis for comment.
softgrow

Re: Torrens Transit to acquire Light City Buses

Postby Tim Williams » Wed May 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Well, I think this is very good, TSA seem to be a very proactive operator all around (not just in Adelaide).
Tim Williams

Postby jibb » Wed May 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Similar article has appeared onhttp://www.adelaidenow.com.au
jibb

Postby Route 506 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Having run these areas before as well as the East-West runs, I think this should work well (hopefully)

If Torrens and Southlink are both committed to keeping their contracts this could hopefully result in more stability and better running of services across Adelaide Metro network
Route 506

Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Postby burrumbus » Thu May 10, 2018 6:25 pm

I think the major problem was that Light City Buses tendered too low a price to obtain the contracts.The contract became unprofitable and LCB couldn;'t offer a completely quality service.Along the same lines as Transdev in Melbourne-although the quality of their operation is worse.
burrumbus

Postby homer9000 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:54 am

this is good news.i am hoping these changes mean a reinstatement of the elizabeth to glenelg j1 or j2 which was greenwith to harbourtown shame it's not till 2019 so for this year i have to put up with one more year of limos to the airport and my mom(providing she has not had any alcohol that day)picking me up when i return home.so the university misses out under my idea.what's a small walk to get a m44 or a 141/142/h30/h33/h20/h22 and change services that way for younger people from currie st.
homer9000

Postby Volvo B12B Driver » Tue May 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Interesting move by Torrens to acquire LCB, I'm not surprised that Broadspectrum sold off LCB, they sold their share of the ferry contract in Sydney off.
Volvo B12B Driver

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLE

Postby homer9000 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 am

just be thankful it didn't return to sero.reliability of them ranks up there with parent pick up's for their kids when it comes to punctuality.i had the misfortune of having to use them a lot back on p plates due to my father being too stingy to go new car shopping straight away forcing me to accept my brother hand me down or nothing which i refused.i am so peeved to this day.his reliability was as bad with me as serco if not worse.
homer9000

Postby bigrobbo » Fri May 18, 2018 11:32 pm

I have been thinking about C1/J1 Service, and would the C1 head west again.

I have some thoughts that may work, but need some more thoughts.

Extend C1/C2 to Adelaide Airport only. Run the service express from NRAH via Port Rd and Henley Beach Rd.

Sir Donald Bradman Drive Services will not detour into the airport.

Re-route J8 so it goes from Adelaide Airport to Glenelg via Harbourtown, and West Beach.

Re-route every second 100 Service (call it 102) to Marion via current J8 route from Mooringe Avenue.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigrobbo

Postby TA3001 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Speaking of the cross town 100/300 routes, I think there should be alternatives to just the current 300G, 300M etc, but suggesting them here is like talking to a wall in regards to the likelihood of it being implemented. Nonetheless, I was thinking that instead of just having several variants of 300, why not rename them 301, 302 etc to various destinations. It would also allow for some flexibility, such as deviating from the current 300 route for whatever reason

It would be logical to rename the current C1 to J1, but I heard somewhere that the current operations will remain separate from each other as though they were two different contract areas. So it's unlikely that the system will revert to what it was before LCB entered the scene.
TA3001

Postby jibb » Sat May 19, 2018 10:01 am

The CEO of TSA has already stated that they would be working with the Government to improve services, frequencies and integrating services ,so nothing at this stage is out of the question.
It depends on DPTI or the new SAPTA to work collaboratively with Torrens Transit.
jibb

Postby coach driver 1981 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 pm

i wonder if TT will put the original obahn test scania 1015 back on obahn duties as it still has everything apart from guide wheels?
coach driver 1981

Postby system improver » Mon May 21, 2018 10:55 am

Did Torrens Transit tender for the area that Light City Buses successfully tendered for? If they did, the rules of competitive tendering have been breached.
system improver

Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Postby nscaler69 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:38 pm

As far as I know no breaches happened.

This thread explains more: Current Bus Contracts/Renewals http://busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85537
Anagram: Timetable - bet I'm late
nscaler69

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA