Current Bus Contracts/Renewals

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

Re: Current Bus Contracts/Renewals

Post by jibb »

jibb wrote:DPTI talks about implementing stage 2 0f the new Networks later this year. I am wondering what is stage 1?
As far as I can see the new Networks for Outer North-East, North-South ,East-West and Outer South would all have to be implemented at the same time.
Supposedly when stage 2 is introduced later in the year it will mean the likes of 500-501-502-J1 from Mawson Lakes, Salisbury and Elizabeth will cease. Services from these areas will change to new Routes/Route numbers under the Outer North contract.
According to the official release on the new network, the Outer North new Routes and network won't change until the Gawler electrification is complete in 2021.
What I would like to know how are these services going to be covered in the interim?

thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

I read the items available differently... I saw stage 2 as likely removing the city bound 22x routes above 222 and changing the outer north to be solely a feeder service to the electrified gawler line - ie Virginia to Salisbury and Mawson, other feeders to Mawson interchange

I read the proposed 502 to 110 continuing to operate though the Jetbus services being altered. Albeit route number changes being suggested.

Stage one could still implement route number changes and reduced city bound services from the outer north to direct more users to the train line, this could be introduced with altered train service to speed up Elizabeth and Salisbury to city, using the turn backs etc.

Westside

Post by Westside »

Given the drastic changes to other contract areas. I was thinking about what a significantly overhauled Outer North area would look like. There's no reason the Outer Suburbs don't deserve high-frequency routes too. I think there are also a lot of routes that can be consolidated to make this happen. So I've put together some of my ideas:

Go Zones
222 – City to Mawson Station via Main North Rd and Mawson Lakes
410 – Mawson Station to Elizabeth Station via Parafield Gardens, Paralowie, Burton, Salisbury Station, Lyell McEwin, Elizabeth Grove and Elizabeth East
444 – Elizabeth Station to Smithfield Station via Elizabeth Park, Craigmore and Blakeview
450 – Elizabeth Station to Munno Para Centre via Davoren Park, Andrews Farm and Playford Alive
574,578 – TTP to Mawson Station via Montague Rd and Uni SA

Other Routes
400 – Paralowie to Mawson Station via Bolivar Rd, Salisbury North, Salisbury Station, Brahma Lodge, Salisbury East, Para Hills, Para Hills West and Uni SA
415 – Mawson Station to Golden Grove via Parafield Gardens, Paralowie, Salisbury Downs, Salisbury Station, Salisbury Plain, Salisbury Park, Salisbury Heights, Greenwith and Atlantis Dr
421 – Salisbury Station to DSTO and BAE (Unchanged)
446 – Elizabeth Station to Smithfield Station via Elizabeth North, Elizabeth Downs and Craigmore
453 – Elizabeth Station to Munno Para Loop via Elizabeth Park, Womma Rd, Penfield, Smithfield Station, Munno Para, Munno Para Station and return
461 – Munno Para Centre to Munno Para West Loop via Smithfield Station, Smithfield Plains, Munno Para West and return
462 - Munno Para Centre to Angle Vale via Smithfield Station, Smithfield Plains, Munno Para West, Angle Vale and return
566 – Mawson Station to Golden Grove via Uni SA, Pooraka, Para Hills, Gulfview Heights and Wynn Vale
574 – TTP to Elizabeth Station via Montague Rd, Uni SA, Salisbury Rd, Salisbury Station, Lyell McEwin and Phillip Hwy
578 – TTP to Elizabeth Station via Montague Rd, Uni SA, Main North Rd, Lyell McEwin, Hillbank and Elizabeth East
900 – Mawson Station to Salisbury Station via Virginia – extended via Coratina Rd
N224 - City to Elizabeth Station (current route truncated to Elizabeth)

Other changes
18 – City to TTP (current 203) – detour from Fairfax Rd, Leichardt, Sloan, Maxwell, Robert then current route from Milne Rd
30 – Golden Grove to Elizabeth (current J1) – now all stops
54 – City to Mawson Station (current 501) – detour via current 202 to Bridge Rd, then Montague Rd

The good stuff is above!

Admet75

Post by Admet75 »

Great Map (would love to know how you did it) anyway great ideas there I like how you are actually thinking outside the square (if you know what I mean). The proposed routes whilst some might be long they actually are more direct and somehow stop people changing from one route to another at either the interchanges and go where they are supposed to go.

hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Agree, awesome map!

One thing missing though is a link along Kings Rd and to Parafield Airport. Despite the number of business plus TAFE and Uni Aviation campuses, I've always wondered why no bus services Parafield Airport and this part of the Salisbury South industrial district.

Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Great work, coverage looks good!

Only one minor criticism is with route 566, and not just your proposal, but current as well. It is such a windy route and takes too long to get from end to end. Sure, there are plenty of catchment areas along the way, but to get from Golden Grove to Mawson Lakes, it is a very long-winded route. It would almost be quicker catching what is today's J1/J2 to TTP, then transferring to what you have as a 574 or 578.

Without looking at it in too much detail, could either the 574 or 578 go via Henderson Ave, pull the 566 out of there and run it straight down either Maxwell Rd or Research Rd to make for a quicker journey to Mawson Lakes?

Westside

Post by Westside »

Thanks. :) The map is made by taking Admet's original map and using my very limited photoshop skills over the top. It's just lines and squares at a high res, but they look ok when zoomed out at that height.

Yeah, my idea is around fewer routes that connect through the main stations. Rather than dump everyone off the route at a station, you encourage more transfers by allowing those few to continue on the one journey.

Re: Kings Rd and Parafield, I had thought of this. Ideally you would also link to Parafield station. So I've done a bit of the swap with the 574 and 425 (now split from the 400 as both enter Salisbury from the West).
For the 566, my thinking is to swap the 425 and 566 south of Kesters Rd. This means the 425 is more circuitous, but it is more of a local route anyway, and now has connections at Parafield Station.

Updated Routes
400 – Paralowie to Salisbury Centre via Bolivar Rd, Salisbury North and Salisbury Station
425 – Salisbury Centre to Mawson Station via Salisbury Station, Salisbury Hwy, Parafield Station, Salisbury South, Salisbury East, Para Hills, Pooraka, and Uni SA
566 – Mawson Station to Golden Grove via Uni SA, Para Hills West, Para Hills, Gulfview Heights and Wynn Vale
574 – TTP to Elizabeth Station via Montague Rd, Uni SA, Salisbury Rd, Parafield Station, Salisbury South, Brahma Lodge, Salisbury Station, Lyell McEwin and Phillip Hwy

The good stuff is above!

hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Great work Westside!

Any thoughts on what the North East suburbs would look like on am updated AdMet map like you did for the North?

The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Westside, while I applaud the effort you have gone into in producing these maps for your proposed Outer North contract area, this is not the place to post them. Feel free to create a topic in the forum Armchair Operators & Fantasy Networks http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=71
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!

Westside

Post by Westside »

The Phonj wrote:Westside, while I applaud the effort you have gone into in producing these maps for your proposed Outer North contract area, this is not the place to post them. Feel free to create a topic in the forum Armchair Operators & Fantasy Networks http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=71
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even know that forum existed! Feel free to move these posts to the SA topic if that's appropriate.
The good stuff is above!

leftyandy76
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M artics

Post by leftyandy76 »

Having read the attachments to the tender document for the Hills contract, I have to say, if the proposed changes do happen, they're not going to be popular.
I.e. to & from My Barker the 840X which is fine, BUT to have the 864 run as an all stopping service through out the day? That's going to be as about as popular as raising taxes. I see to that the 863 will be extended to West Tce, so does this mean there'll be a 15min headway to and from Aldgate? Interesting to see how that works and also the 865 continues to be a through service to and from the city.

jibb

Post by jibb »

Currently Southlinks Lonsdale Fleet consists of 129 buses.
When Busways takes over the Outer South Contract Area on July 5th its requirement will be 122 buses.
So it will be interesting to see which other depot/s get the surplus buses?

Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Well three of those are Promas which are owned by KD so they will be disappearing anyway plus 2415 makes 4 buses that will technically no longer exist. How do you know the requirements?

Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Busways have indicated they are going to do away with the refuellers/cleaners currently employed and turn the work over to drivers who are willing to do combined driving/depot duties.

jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit have a lot of their daytime refuelling done by drivers when they return to their depots.

Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Perhaps so but it wasn't previously the case with SL.

jibb

Post by jibb »

Have all Southlink drivers kept there jobs at Lonsdale/Seaford?

jibb

Post by jibb »

Skexis wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:13 am
Well three of those are Promas which are owned by KD so they will be disappearing anyway plus 2415 makes 4 buses that will technically no longer exist. How do you know the requirements?
I believe the Government leased them back from Keolis Downer. I guess it is now up to the Government where and how they are used(along with the ones at Elizabeth North)
As for Busways fleet requirements- information was available on their website.

The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

It may be a matter that the upcoming network revisions require fewer buses in the Outer South contract area, and the new number will be in force from that date.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!

hillsbus

Post by hillsbus »

Interesting to see some Facebook coverage and lobbying on the changes occurring already. This video shows some signage about the changes but don't think it's official signage.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tions=true

jibb

Post by jibb »

The Phonj wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:49 am
It may be a matter that the upcoming network revisions require fewer buses in the Outer South contract area, and the new number will be in force from that date.
Looking at the list of new routes/route numbers it would appear that quite a few routes ,streets will lose all or part of some of these routes. Overall it would seem that a lot of the contract areas will require less buses?

Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224L

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

hillsbus wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:00 pm
Interesting to see some Facebook coverage and lobbying on the changes occurring already. This video shows some signage about the changes but don't think it's official signage.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tions=true
Carrying on like they’re losing the M44 completely, for the sake of about 1km (maximum distance). I’m sure if people were really that desperate to keep it there, waiting for community consultation and then raising their concerns then would be more effective
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868

Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

At least going via current route people dont have to cross a busy main road and/or walk long distance from the streets near the lake. The proposed route means people will have to cross the busy The Golden Way and/or walk a long way to get the bus. At night the proposed route should at least be altered to drop off passengers at their door or as close as possible. Overall though I think the 545 and 544/M44 should remain as it is now.

Secondly I think some of the SL routes should make a comeback. So at night you have say a 540 running between City and TTP then transfer to a SL service done by a minibus/midibus which will drop passengers on request or as close as possible. Just curious Would those latest midi buses be able to run along OBahn if they had guide wheels fitted to them?

SL routes for example could be

SL540) TTP to Golden Grove Village

SL541) TTP to Golden Grove Village

SL542) TTP to Fairview Park

SL543) TTP to Surrey Downs

SL544) TTP to Greenwith via Ladywood Road, The Grove and Atlantis Drive

SL545) TTP to Golden Grove Village

SL548) TTP to Golden Grove Village

SL503) Paradise Interchange to TTP

SL506) Paradise Interchange to TTP

SL507) Paradise Interchange to TTP

SL556) Paradise Interchange to TTP

SL557) Paradise Interchange to TTP

SL559) Paradise Interchange to TTP

SL528) Klemzig Interchange to Northgate

Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”