Moderator: MAN 16.242

Linto63

Re: Myki

Post by Linto63 »

Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Not mentioned in that small minded Melbourne-centric article, but Conduent (who won the new MyKi contract) is the company who do Adelaide's ticketing system. Now if only they could work an integrated card for multiple cities (although I suppose this is becoming redundant with the uptake of debit and credit card usage).
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

An integrated card would be nice... with how often I experience equipment misbehave, the last thing I want to do is give direct access to any of my bank accounts via card. I can foresee readers being the target for tech-savvy criminals - think of the number of transactions made by a fare gate at a City train station, and the potential for card skimming. Not possible with the old systems, whose stored credit is worthless outside of their intended usage area.

I'd also be very interested to hear what sort of processing fees various state transport entities are being charged, given the additional credit transactions going on.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

While many obviously prefer tap and go, it does add to delays. On the Opal network in Sydney, often debit / credit cards and smartphones won't work with some readers hence passengers bounce around to find one that works, and then there are the usual delays while people unlock phones etc. With a significant proportion of passengers still using traditional Opal cards, it is minimised, but if it were to be 100% of the population, it would be a more significant pain in the neck. Probably won't be a problem on Melbourne's buses seeing very few people appear to actually bother tapping on, but will cause some nice queues on other modes.

Maintaining a separate card system would be preferable, but then the people who make these decisions are probably not actually users of the system.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Richard1207

Post by Richard1207 »

We already see a lot of fare evasion and the price increase will only encourage more of it. I find the article confusing as it says a single fare will increase from $3.35 to $3.60. The single fares are currently $4.60 for Zone 1 & $3.10 for Zone 2, so that makes no sense. What will a Zone 2 fare cost?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Looks like somebody has got their wires crossed, $3.35 is the current concession weekend cap.
Richard1207

Post by Richard1207 »

Thanks, that makes sense. The article wasn't clear.
Richard1207

Post by Richard1207 »

I read that fares are going up in January but only the Zone 1 increase is mentioned, what about Zone 2? I asked PTV earlier today and couldn't even get a straightforward answer. PTV thinks that Zone 1 is the same as Zone 2 and its Journey Planner even shows a Zone 1 fare when travelling entirely in the Zone 1/2 overlap instead of the cheaper Zone 2 fare. How incompetent can PTV be?
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

According to the MYKI website, there is no (Just) Zone 1 Fare! It mentions prices for Zone 1+2, or Zone 2 only!

Regards,
Paul
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

does anyone know if fares are going up in regional areas too? or is that not changing?
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

PTV press release:

Public transport fares from 1 January 2024

Obviously the race to the bottom by both political parties at the last election with promises of fare reductions that would leave a bleeding heart lefty blushing, coupled with a government refusing to take its foot off the infrastructure spend despite the end of the low interest rate party, and an already eye watering amount of debt to service, is coming home to roost with Melbourne fares to be 15% higher in January than they were in June. Government trying to justify it by stating the rise is in line with the current inflation rate, but this is the rate for the full 12 months, with this rise coming on top of a 9% rise in July.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”