Parramatta light rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Parramatta light rail

Post by Swift »

Linto63 your respect would be nice but it's not required.
At least elaborate a little bit.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:50 am Linto63 your respect would be nice but it's not required.
Testing includes:

- Testing of the trams to eliminate any potential problems that may occur either with the trams or the structures and surrounding buildings, objects, nature or roads that it will travel on

- Testing of trams and it’s signalling systems to ensure there’s no black spots or potential areas where trams can be driven without the potentially either going into wrong spots or driving blindly where it can cause conflicting movements

- Testing of trams and the speed of the route to ensure trams can navigate their surroundings safely, able to pass each other without making contact and ensure the safety of passengers when dealing with turnouts, curves or turning area, like trains go to fast and you’ll derail

- Testing of trams to handle the loads that it will carry, no one wants to be stuck when trams is beyond capacity and people must leave to allow the tram to move.

There are more, but project like this isn’t like buying a bus, put some fuel or charge in and go around a lap then into service next day. All Public Transport in Sydney had teething issues during testing, which was found out and resolved. Tangara Train, the millennium train, even the Waratah, Oscars and the Metro all had issues during testing.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Swift wrote: Linto63 your respect would be nice but it's not required.
Given that you have been a member of this board for 19 years during which time the Dulwich Hill, CBD and South East and Newcastle light rail projects have opened, as well as a number of metro and railway lines which I would imagine were all discussed here extensively, surely it hasn't escaped your attention that no large public transport project just opens with zero testing.

A more contemporary example is the metro extension from Chatswood to Sydenham that is going through a testing process that will take the best part of a year.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Stage 2 will require a new siding in Maccquarie St. Wondering if this will be installed before testing starts?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

boronia wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:36 pm Stage 2 will require a new siding in Maccquarie St. Wondering if this will be installed before testing starts?
I would assume the new siding would be part of Stage II's construction, which if I'm correct hasn't started yet. So would be built after testing, in fact likely after opening.
Swift wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:31 am Test what? Tracks are layed by professionals, trams fully manufactured IE imported not built here because we're back to selling raw materials out of thy ground like the industrialised nation we will never be again. Just throw the switches come on!!
Wait, are you legitimately not aware that almost everything rail related is tested before opening? Not just in Australia but in every single country around the world?
boronia

Post by boronia »

alleve wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:30 pm
boronia wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:36 pm Stage 2 will require a new siding in Maccquarie St. Wondering if this will be installed before testing starts?
I would assume the new siding would be part of Stage II's construction, which if I'm correct hasn't started yet. So would be built after testing, in fact likely after opening.
So Stage 1 services could be disrupted for weeks while tracks are dug up and new turnouts installed?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

alleve wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:30 pm
Wait, are you legitimately not aware that almost everything rail related is tested before opening? Not just in Australia but in every single country around the world?
The metro I understand, but a year comes across as paranoid.
These super slow things? Let the crew and public report any issues. Even that clod who got hit in Moore Park during L23's testing bounced off like a soccer ball unharmed.
Didn't testing do wonders on the L1 eh?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Perhaps if you bothered to avail yourself of some of the facts, you then wouldn't continue to make these ill thought out posts. Clearly you didn't take on board the reasons Bambam stated earlier. Extensive testing of new rail infrastructure isn't just a bureaucratic process, it happens for sound reasons.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I read it all thank you. Sounds pedantic AF but that's my thoughts.
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

boronia wrote: So Stage 1 services could be disrupted for weeks while tracks are dug up and new turnouts installed?
Plans on the website show potentially putting the turnout further down Macquarie Street after the L4 turns off.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:40 pm I read it all thank you. Sounds pedantic AF but that's my thoughts.
Pedantic as it sounds but think of it this way from a government perspective that’s all about doing and completing projects regardless of your party view or how you see things from a political standpoint.

When you’re doing big projects, the media and opposition governments will always looks for something to pick apart. Sure you can build it, sure you can say flick on the switch and let’s go, but what happens when you run into problems reported by staff and customers? What’s happens when trams collide or hit each other when they past each other going past curves, what happens when teams goes off the track because the speed was faster than predicted? What if you have to stop the trams completely?

It’s a public relations disaster for whoever in as government and gold for others. No government wants bad publicity nor being dragged down and potentially not be re-elected because they didn’t want to test on major projects. Also no one wants a lawsuit coming their way for negligence.

Given how you love old things, times has changed my friend. Gone are the days of having beer while you work and getting away with any safe-working incidents as long you didn’t injure or hurt anyone. We live in a world with strict rules and regulations and we are all better for it rather than the past.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Bus 400 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:23 am
boronia wrote: So Stage 1 services could be disrupted for weeks while tracks are dug up and new turnouts installed?
Plans on the website show potentially putting the turnout further down Macquarie Street after the L4 turns off.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
The plans I have seen show "L5" tracks continuing west along Macquarie St after Church St. They would have to provide a turnout/junction at this intersection. This would cause considerable interference with "L4" operation.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

How much did this indulgence cost?
The Parramatta free shuttle bus was the best transport initiative of the 21st century so far and this was done purely by the local council. Then the state has to get their grubby hands on it. Couldn't have a successful bus service showing them up, so took it over and quietly made it disappear.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:54 pm How much did this indulgence cost?
The Parramatta free shuttle bus was the best transport initiative of the 21st century so far and this was done purely by the local council. Then the state has to get their grubby hands on it. Couldn't have a successful bus service showing them up, so took it over and quietly made it disappear.
Again,what are you on about?

The Free Parramatta CBD Shuttle is still operating, Just no longer in their Green Livery and now with Transit Systems as they are the operator now thats taken the former Transdev Region.

Will there be a place for the shuttle in the future? Maybe but i would like for it to return to the original route if possible linking the stops with Parramatta Station.
Swift

Post by Swift »

After cost blowouts stage one and two have cost $6.8b I just read but that's perfectly acceptable eh?
That is diabolical and is a disgrace to the nation.
Ultra embarrassing and brings deep shame upon the state. Disgusted beyond description. Pure putrescence.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Have you not noticed that every infrastructure project around the world has suffered from cost blowouts? For someone who is quick to criticise others for their mistakes, perhaps you should take a look in the mirror, given the number of incorrect statements you have made on this thread in the past couple of days. :roll:
Swift

Post by Swift »

I bet it's average speed won't reflect the cost and will be fraught with issues as per usual. I bet we don't get swinging bogies thrown in.
Just watch the news stories begin after day one.

Like the old Albion slogan, Sure As The Sunrise.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

Swift wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:40 pm Sounds pedantic AF but that's my thoughts.
Probably sounds pedantic to you because you know absolutely nothing about it. There is not a single country on the planet that opens railways without prior testing. Do you know better than every overseer of every successful rail project on the planet? Clearly not given that you were not even aware what testing entails before a couple days ago, and even now you show no signs of understanding it.
boronia wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:46 pm So Stage 1 services could be disrupted for weeks while tracks are dug up and new turnouts installed?
It may be possible to do it in such a way where it only takes a week or two. IIRC the crossover between the L1 and the L2/L3 required a full month, but presumably that was a more complicated job given the larger amount of track needing to be replaced.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:29 pm After cost blowouts stage one and two have cost $6.8b I just read but that's perfectly acceptable eh?
Ultra embarrassing and brings deep shame upon the state. Disgusted beyond description. Pure putrescence.
Since late 2019, something happen called Covid. The global pandemic shut down the world, people weren’t working and supplies dried up. Since then it’s even been more harder since cost of everything from labor to supplies and equipment has risen especially how demand exceeds supply. Even inflation has gone up.

Boomer doesn’t see this as they are settled for life and easily watch news while others work. Sorry to say but your opinions has been so out of this world it’s not funny anymore. Time to sit back and enjoy a cup of tea, enjoy life rather than coming out with outrageous statements.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

alleve wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:53 pm It may be possible to do it in such a way where it only takes a week or two. IIRC the crossover between the L1 and the L2/L3 required a full month, but presumably that was a more complicated job given the larger amount of track needing to be replaced.
They could get a team up from Melbourne to do it in a weekend. Seriously I'm surprised that they haven't built a stub at this intersection. They did the same for stage 2 at Camellia, so there's unlikely to be a contractual issue. It's going to cause an awful lot of disruption when they do it later.
Swift

Post by Swift »

BAMBAM wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:04 pm
Swift wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:29 pm After cost blowouts stage one and two have cost $6.8b I just read but that's perfectly acceptable eh?
Since late 2019, something happen called Covid. The global pandemic shut down the world, people weren’t working and supplies dried up. Since then it’s even been more harder since cost of everything from labor to supplies and equipment has risen especially how demand exceeds supply. Even inflation has gone up.

Boomer doesn’t see this as they are settled for life and easily watch news while others work. Sorry to say but your opinions has been so out of this world it’s not funny anymore. Time to sit back and enjoy a cup of tea, enjoy life rather than coming out with outrageous statements.
Maybe it shouldn't have gone ahead should it?
6.8 Billion - 6800 x 1 million bucks, or think of it this way, a kilometre is 1 million mm and you know how small one mm is and how far a km is to walk. A frightful amount of dollars we're talking here but it's no biggie to you.
All that cost for another painfully restricted crawling street train with screeching like a chalkboard fixed bogies fails any pub test dismally.

I have my doubts anywhere else on this planet quite matches it with Sydney for record blowouts.
I'd be interested to see a comparison in percentage terms the cost blowouts of international and even national light rail projects.
I think Brisbane is making the right choices with it's metro except for calling it a metro.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:28 am
BAMBAM wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:04 pm

Maybe it shouldn't have gone ahead should it?
6.8 Billion - 6800 x 1 million bucks, or think of it this way, a kilometre is 1 million mm and you know how small one mm is and how far a km is to walk. A frightful amount of dollars we're talking here but it's no biggie to you.
All that cost for another painfully restricted crawling street train with screeching like a chalkboard fixed bogies fails any pub test dismally.

I have my doubts anywhere else on this planet quite matches it with Sydney for record blowouts.
I'd be interested to see a comparison in percentage terms the cost blowouts of international and even national light rail projects.
I think Brisbane is making the right choices with it's metro except for calling it a metro.
Again, you’re just blowing out random facts out of your ***hole. Even that project was blown out. What’s the different regardless of price, blow out is blowout :roll:
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

If you want to see record blowouts on projects, just come to Melbourne. The Westgate tunnel started at $500m and is now over $5.5B, the north east link has just gone up another $10B, blowouts on metro tunnel, every level crossing removal etc etc. And they've just signed a contract for Dan's (now Jacintas) round the world suburban loop.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Swift wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:31 am Test what? Tracks are layed by professionals, trams fully manufactured IE imported not built here because we're back to selling raw materials out of thy ground like the industrialised nation we will never be again. Just throw the switches come on!!
Remember when the Millennium trains came in and the issues with them in the first 5 years?
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Glen

Post by Glen »

1whoknows wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:48 am If you want to see record blowouts on projects, just come to Melbourne. The Westgate tunnel started at $500m and is now over $5.5B, the north east link has just gone up another $10B, blowouts on metro tunnel, every level crossing removal etc etc. And they've just signed a contract for Dan's (now Jacintas) round the world suburban loop.
I've heard under estimating is a good way of getting a project approved. :lol:

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”