Volvo THD 100 engine specs

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
bunyip

Volvo THD 100 engine specs

Post by bunyip »

Hello gents,would someone out there have the specs on a 1978 Volvo THD engine please,bore/stroke dissplacement etc,,I have looked everywhere including the bottom of the weetbix packet and the Herald,but no details fothcoming,Thanks for reading,have a good day and keep the greasy one down,Regards Bunyip
Maladjusted

Re: Volvo THD 100 engine specs

Post by Maladjusted »

Some information is available regarding these on the discussion of Volvo B10M Manuals within this forum. This is mainly suited to the B10M but a lot is relevent to the earlier ones too.

The THD 100 engine is slightly different to the 101 engine block, though same displacement 9.6litre and same dimensions. The difference is in the model description. eg. THD 100D as fitted to B58's or 9's or THD 100 EA -ED as fitted to B10M's Mk1. The last alpha signifies the HP as governed by the Fuel pump and possible turbo differences.
The 100 series blocks have a different web thickness around the Main Bearing journals and a few other differences like liner types.

Let us know what the engine number is. It is stamped on a flat surface under the front of the fuel pump (drive flange end) then I can narrow it down for you.
I would never consult the Herald or the Courier Mail, unless i wanted to get totally disillusioned and believe their warped views that would equate to a Volvo B10M was built by Iveco.
Bottom of a Weetbix packet! Well what can i say about Sanitarium and those Seventh Day adventists!!
You should have looked at the Cornflakes packet just before the Drivers Licence applications!
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Thanks mate,The Corn Flakes investigation drove me crackers and left me feeling a bit flacky,,Engine number isTHD100D4167606,it came out of a fire truck,only 88000kms on it,new injector tubes and injectors cleaned and set is a beautiful thing to listen to and drive,also scrapped the old 5 speed box and is now matched to a 3speed Allison auto,,used it to replace Merc motor in OC1617 bus now converted to motor home ( off round the big back yard very soon),wanted the info for insurance purposes,Thanks again Ron ( Bunyip )
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Thanks mate,The Corn Flakes investigation drove me crackers and left me feeling a bit flacky,,Engine number isTHD100D4167606,it came out of a fire truck,only 88000kms on it,new injector tubes and injectors cleaned and set is a beautiful thing to listen to and drive,also scrapped the old 5 speed box and is now matched to a 3speed Allison auto,,used it to replace Merc motor in OC1617 bus now converted to motor home ( off round the big back yard very soon),wanted the info for insurance purposes,Thanks again Ron ( Bunyip )
User7526

Post by User7526 »

Ummm, hi.

Is this engine a vertical one or is it horizontal? That's my first question because if it is vertical (which it sounds like) the engine prefix is different. My second question is regarding the Allison, I don't actually know of a three speeder and so I'm wondering what the model number is for it? I'm think something the likes of MT640 up to MT 647.

A 100D engine is an early one at that, that prefix was the usual at the time of B58s changing to B10Ms. The power rating for a horizontal one would have been 242 horsepower.

Now for the good stuff.....
Bore: 120.65mm
Stroke: 140mm
Displacement: 9.6 Litres
Comp. ratio: 15:1
Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Approx. weight 940kg

Hope this helps!

Peta.

P.S. If it is a horizontal engine and you've got it into a 1617 'Benz I'd love to see some photos please!
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

Peta has the correct info there. Engine out of a fire truck? should have just been TD. Just a breakup of the engine number
T-turbo
H- horizontal block placement
D-diesel
100- 10 litre 1st series went to4th series eg: 104 then they changed it to DH10A
D- 242hp
416- block part number.
7606- serial number
Yes this engine block was originally out of a B58 or 59, possibly used as a replacement block for the firetruck using it vertical. Though it is bit of a hassle blocking and drilling some new galleries in the block.

I too would love to see a picture of it shoehorned into place in the Benz
If this has been used as a firetruck it could have had the fuel pump uprated giving more than the standard 242hp. I have rebuilt some at 275hp but the early block gets very stressed down the crank end turning all those ponies.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

She is Horizontal,and puts out 300hp,will get the Allison number for you this week ( back under Again??!! )will take photos for you and then need some bugger to show me how to attach and send them ( as a computer whizz I am a complete drongo )the engine only required moving one engine mount from inside chassis to outside ( or the other way round ) main hassle was the radiato,,rBut,,I didn't do the fitting so can only go by their assessment of the job,as you can probably tell as a motor man my knowledge of anything bigger than a 2.5 datsun diesel is easilly fitted on the point of a pin,although I have learned quite a bit lately,learned how to adjust the brakes and a few other little things that will help ease the strain on wallet,thanks to some old truckies and diesel mechs who dont mind imparting knowledge to morons like me,Only hope we dont have too much tyre problems as 1000,20's are bloody dear and to change to 1100 r's is a real expense that we can do without,but she will pot along happily at 90k all day with 6-7k still in the tank so dont think the bigboys will be too unhappy with us..If I am unable to work out how to attach and send photos on line I will ( if you are agreeable ) send them to you,regards and thanks Ron
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Sorry fellas,but eveything I try to get photos to is unsuccessful,( the price of computer illiteracy )
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

The circumference of 1000.20s and 11R22.5s are the same. No speed advantage there. If you're in Qld, there are tyre places that sell steel 22.5 rims for under $100.
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Peta,mate I have just discovered that my email address as posted on here is incorrect perhaps yours is also incorrect,, and have asked Ken to rectify if possible,as I am unable to contact you through yours,perhaps yours is also wrong
I am able to attach photos and send to myself so there is a gremlin in the works some where,will send mine to you privately,as well as to maladjusted,,Regards Ron
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Mr obsessed,thanks mate could you perhaps give me where to obtain them,I live near Gatton S.E Qld,Regards Ron
User7526

Post by User7526 »

This little girl has sent you an email as I've found your messages here, sorry for the delay but I've been so flat out! A horizontal engine in a 1617? Yeah I really want to see it!

Peta.
gemllee

Post by gemllee »

Hi bunyip,
We are getting ready to round the back yard, our MH is a B10M THD100D with 4 sp Alison box.
Could you send me the insurance company you are using to insure your motorhome, as we have not one as yet.
Regards Andy

Return to “General Transport Discussion”