Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Glen

Re: Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Post by Glen »

I can't imagine they would take out the crossovers at Chatswood, particularly for the last reason you mentioned.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Hopefully there would be crossovers at Central?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

What’s special about Central? Barangaroo will be a fine site to segregate the line and continue operations either side. Not going to have them everywhere.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Aurora wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:59 pm What’s special about Central?
I'm floored by that one.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Crossovers at Central would give passengers from the north a better chance of getting into the city to connect with other services, if there are problems further south.
Likewise, they would allow services from the south to terminate if there are problems within the CBD zone.

I would have thought flexibility to limit inconvenience to passengers would be a priority.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

There is ample opportunity for interchange at Chatswood and Barangaroo. Would you remove the crossovers at Barangaroo and install new ones at Central? I am confident there would have been an analysis and reasons behind the placement of the points where they were placed.
M 5885.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Aurora wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 pm There is ample opportunity for interchange at Chatswood and Barangaroo. Would you remove the crossovers at Barangaroo and install new ones at Central? I am confident there would have been an analysis and reasons behind the placement of the points where they were placed.
You're confident in what Aussie government departments do. Your very idealistic.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Aurora wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:59 pm What’s special about Central? Barangaroo will be a fine site to segregate the line and continue operations either side. Not going to have them everywhere.
Think of Central & Barangaroo like Central & Martin Place on the ESR.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

And one of those is no longer in use, notwithstanding the clear difference between a legacy railway and brand new infrastructure.
M 5885.
Swift

Post by Swift »

It's been century since electrification of Sydney's suburban network began. Now we have a driverless Metros sprouting including the conversion of one of the lines electrified 100 years ago or thereabouts in the 1920s. The 2020s is certainly not as stylish.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:23 pm It's been century since electrification of Sydney's suburban network began. Now we have a driverless Metros sprouting including the conversion of one of the lines electrified 100 years ago or thereabouts in the 1920s. The 2020s is certainly not as stylish.
The sumptuous, accessible, quiet, fully enclosed underground stations of the metro are a long way from the minimalist depression-era, very basic stations of the original electric railway.
Glen

Post by Glen »

:?:
Aurora wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:01 pm And one of those is no longer in use, notwithstanding the clear difference between a legacy railway and brand new infrastructure.
Not sure what you mean there, about no longer in use?
Stu

Post by Stu »

^
The crossover at Central Station may have ben used on the morning of Anzac Day to support the additional early morning services between Bondi Junction and Central (in that direction between 03:23 - 04:53). I'm not sure of the exact operating procedures for these particular shuttle services.
Surely the crossover at Martin Pl would be continued to be used in case of an emergency situation?

In my opinion I think that the respective crossover infrastructure at Martin Pl, Central, Sydenham and Barangaroo prevents trains form entering to far into the Sydney CBD.
The crossover at Martin Pl may be primarily for services operating from Bondi Junction and the crossover at Central may be primarily for services operating from Kiama/Cronulla/Waterfall towards Bondi Junction.

The crossover at Barangaroo may be primarily for services operating from Tallawong towards Bankstown and the crossover at Sydenham may be primarily for services operating from Bankstown towards Tallawong.
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

Stu wrote:^
The crossover at Central Station may have ben used on the morning of Anzac Day to support the additional early morning services between Bondi Junction and Central (in that direction between 03:23 - 04:53). I'm not sure of the exact operating procedures for these particular shuttle services.
Surely the crossover at Martin Pl would be continued to be used in case of an emergency situation?

Real-time apps showed the train running empty to Mortdale.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

boronia

Post by boronia »

Stu wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:50 pm ^

In my opinion I think that the respective crossover infrastructure at Martin Pl, Central, Sydenham and Barangaroo prevents trains form entering to far into the Sydney CBD.
The crossover at Martin Pl may be primarily for services operating from Bondi Junction and the crossover at Central may be primarily for services operating from Kiama/Cronulla/Waterfall towards Bondi Junction.

The crossover at Barangaroo may be primarily for services operating from Tallawong towards Bankstown and the crossover at Sydenham may be primarily for services operating from Bankstown towards Tallawong.
Central and Martin Place do not have crossovers, they have terminating/turnback roads.
Central's accessible to UP ESR trains, MP's for down ESR trains.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Yes that's correct and they are both in regular timetabled use.

I was referencing their relative location (to the CBD) and purpose rather than design.

Apologies for any confusion.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Martin Place has been booked out since last year.
M 5885.
boronia

Post by boronia »

The current timetable shows weekdays 3x AM and 1x PM up SCO services terminating at Martin Place.

I couldn't see any up BJI services terminating at Central. Perhaps this gets used during T4 shutdowns?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

They run empty to Bondi and back.
M 5885.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ Thanks all for the above Info and corrections.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

boronia wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:37 pm I couldn't see any up BJI services terminating at Central. Perhaps this gets used during T4 shutdowns?
Just for the record, under normal arrangements, 4 x 8T Services from Bondi Junction Terminate at Central, Weekdays 2218, 2248, 2318, 2348 hours and shunt to the Turnback to form return Services to Bondi Junction departing Central 2239, 2309, 2339, 0009 hours.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Aurora wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am Martin Place has been booked out since last year.
Why was that?
Noel

Post by Noel »

The bussing operation for the Bankstown Line will be known as the SouthWest Link.

Three routes.

SW1 All Stations (current 10T3)
SW2 Bankstown Limited Stops (current 33T3)
SW3 Campsie Express (current 13T3)
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Petarkco wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:21 am https://transportnsw.info/southwest-link
There will be new T6 Lidcombe & Bankstown Line and T3 Liverpool & Inner West Line.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”