[DT] Dolly Parton has busted red tape for her latest tour

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

[DT] Dolly Parton has busted red tape for her latest tour

Post by Ben_Daui »

Dailytelegraph wrote:BUREAUCRATS working nine to five almost put an end to Dolly Parton's blockbuster tour of Australia in a row over her huge bus.

But federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese has proved an unlikely hero, personally stepping in to save the November tour.

Now a grateful Parton has vowed to give the Grayndler MP "a huge cuddle" when she arrives. The country music legend never tours without the massive 14m bus, staying in it along with members of her entourage wherever she performs.

Having applied to bring two buses into Australia, Parton was affronted when Customs officials ruled one was nearly 2m too long, 5cm too wide and overweight for Australian regulations.

State roads officials also had problems with the buses' doors opening into traffic because they were geared to the right side of the road, as in the US.
To read more go here:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entert ... 6144921777
I'm not a fan of her music, I just found it weird how she can get permission :?:
gld59

Re: [DT] Dolly Parton has busted red tape for her latest tou

Post by gld59 »

It's not as though she's trying to register it here. Moderately over-dimensioned vehicles are fairly routinely given permits for use.

As long as the driver(s) are aware of the vehicle's metric dimensions, to avoid damage to bridges etc. :)

gld
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

She needs a huge bus to carry her huge bust :P
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Ben_Daui

Post by Ben_Daui »

The Inspector wrote:She needs a huge bus to carry her huge bust :P
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

Where do you think the overweight concerns come from :shock: :shock: :lol:
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
Route243
Favourite Vehicle: B12LEA

Post by Route243 »

Ben_Daui wrote:
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Brilliant.

But back to serious stuff: The article also raises concerns because the buses being LHD have the door opening on the street side here in Australia. Why would this be a worry? The UK has many coaches from the continent which do the same. I remember boarding a Netherlands Registered Contiki coaches from the 'wrong' side in Russel Sq in London. I had no problem
Always having something to say, having a good laugh and having fun all at the same time.
Free Lance
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305, m/o 3021

Post by Free Lance »

Back in my day we had two hotels (in the Sydney CBD) that I remember opening the coach door into traffic, Wynyard Travelodge in York St and around the corner in Carrington, the Holiday Inn, I am sure tere were more but I can't remember then all and a lot of times we had (inbound) luggage to unload or load.

Just got to know what you are doing and use a thing we called "Commonsense" don't know if is still available though.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

Free Lance wrote:and use a thing we called "Commonsense" don't know if is still available though.
What, you don't have a link so we can download some? :shock:

gld
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

gld59 wrote:
Free Lance wrote:and use a thing we called "Commonsense" don't know if is still available though.
What, you don't have a link so we can download some? :shock:

gld
That's the biggest problem it's not downloadable matter of fact it's almost as if it doesn't exist anymore :lol:
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
TAA727

Post by TAA727 »

No doubt most have seen this before, but always worth of a refresher!

An Obituary:

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn't always fair; and Maybe it was my fault..

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled some in her lap, and was promptly awarded a cash settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by entities known as:
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
TAA727's Fleetlist:
MAN SL-202 Ex-STA 3291
Merc O.305 MkII Ex-STA 2496
Merc O.305 Ex-Action 670
Bedford VAL Ex-Duffy's MO 7259
leccy

Post by leccy »

And remember folks, never let facts get in the way of commonsense
An enthusiast can be professional too, but any comment here is a personal comment only.
AL

Re: NSW Private Observations - November

Post by AL »

Followed Dolly Parton's bus out of the city but it went into the Lane Cove Tunnel and I was too cheap to pay the toll.

It's a black left hand drive 3-axle Van Hool Super-Deck owned by Beat The Street (http://www.beatthestreet.net). Looked like this (not my image, found on google images):

Ben_Daui

Re: NSW Private Observations - November

Post by Ben_Daui »

AL wrote:Followed Dolly Parton's bus out of the city but it went into the Lane Cove Tunnel and I was too cheap to pay the toll.

It's a black left hand drive 3-axle Van Hool Super-Deck owned by Beat The Street (http://www.beatthestreet.net). Looked like this (not my image, found on google images):

I saw a coach in that livery in the city last week on George St, it was within the lane markings so its not too wide.
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

Ha! A Van Hool. When I went to the states for the first time I loved all these Van Hool buses running around, as you just don't see them in Aus!
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
AEC Decker
Favourite Vehicle: AEC air-door Decker of course.

Dolly Parton's MEGA bus in Australia

Post by AEC Decker »

AEC Decker saw on A Current Affair tonight, that Dolly Parton's over width, over length and over weight, left hand drive tour bus/motorhome has been given special permission by the (federal ?) transport minister to be driven on Australian roads during her upcoming tour. :shock:

Apparently Dolly hates flying so this is how she gets around, but if this is true, how did she get from the USA to Australia ?, cruise ship, maybe ?. :?
Dolly Parton Tour Bus.jpg
Dolly Parton Tour Bus.jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 5983 times
Last edited by AEC Decker on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STA CNG Scania 3461-3520,3621-3661=Scania Blοater
STA O405NH=Classic Blοater
STA O500LE 4868-4877,4879-4902,1800-1811=Heavy Blοater
STA O500LE 1812 onwards=Blοater
STA O500LE Euro 5 Diesel=Non Blοater or AdBlueter
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Dolly Parton's MEGA bus in Australia

Post by boronia »

She could lay on her back and float across :evil:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Newcastle Flyer

Re: Dolly Parton's MEGA bus in Australia

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

AEC Decker wrote:Apparently Dolly hates flying so this is how she gets around, but if this is true, how did she get from the USA to Australia ?, cruise ship, maybe ?. :? >> Skip the photo of the BIG BUS
The "big" star said she hates flying, not that she wouldn't flying. But I'm just wondering how the plane would get off the ground, with her, . . . . . . . :?: :!:

She could have came over by a ship, oh wait no, on second thought, . . . . :!:
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Having applied to bring two buses into Australia, Parton was affronted when Customs officials ruled one was nearly 2m too long, 5cm too wide and overweight for Australian regulations.
Since when has Customs been the arbiter of what can or cannot be driven on the roads.?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”