• Advertisement

Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion

Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Postby Sir Pompously » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:44 pm

Something that has seemed to go unoticed in this and other sections of the board (have done a search for Greencard with no results) is the introduction of Tasmania's Smartcard system, Greencard! Information can be found at http://www.metrotas.com.au/smartcard-info and the supplier is a German company by the name of INIT. Hopefully more information can be posted by the resident Tasmanians on the board, as I only know what is on the Metro website which states introduction is later this year and will start in Burnie. Along with this, 8 buses will be stickered up in a promotional livery.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Sir Pompously

Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Postby Mandurahbus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Dont forget when the etim breaks down free rides for everyone!
The Mercedes Benz O305 & O305g Preservation Group is on Facebook

Robert Bus Service: Proudly serving the Mandurah area for 18years!!!!

Robert
Mandurahbus

Favourite Vehicle: Hyundai's!!!,Holden & 1214

Postby metro_tas » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:10 pm

caltexboy wrote:Dont forget when the etim breaks down free rides for everyone!

fairly used of the ticketing system breakin down, its a daily occurence down here in hobart
metro_tas

Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Sir Pompously wrote:Something that has seemed to go unoticed in this and other sections of the board (have done a search for Greencard with no results) is the introduction of Tasmania's Smartcard system, Greencard! Information can be found at http://www.metrotas.com.au/smartcard-info and the supplier is a German company by the name of INIT. Hopefully more information can be posted by the resident Tasmanians on the board, as I only know what is on the Metro website which states introduction is later this year and will start in Burnie. Along with this, 8 buses will be stickered up in a promotional livery.

Nothing more about the Smartcard than what is on the Metro website at present. All I can tell you, is the new system is having trouble trying to transfer all the information from the Austrix? system (I think that's how it's spelt) Introduction has been DEFERRED for a few months. (April 2009) for Hobart now. The Hobart buses that operate rural services (Bothwell, New Norfolk, Channel regions) operate on the Datafare system, using BOTH Datafare & Crutz system on these services. The NEW smartcard (or iNiT) system will combine these two (thankfully)
Tas Bus Nut

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Further delays. Burnie to be introduced NOW March - Hobart April. Not sure about Launceston
Tas Bus Nut

Postby invictius » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:57 am

I'm guessing if 131 500 can be accessed interstate, then so too could Hobarts' 13 22 01
invictius

Postby howlerbus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:43 am

metro_tas wrote:
caltexboy wrote:Dont forget when the etim breaks down free rides for everyone!

fairly used of the ticketing system breakin down, its a daily occurence down here in hobart

Same in Adelaide, as we use the Crouzet system as well...
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
howlerbus

Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Postby Wilbur » Fri May 15, 2009 4:25 pm

We have been using smart cards in Devonport since we started in 2000. great thing speeds up loading by heaps
Former Senior Driver
Wilbur

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0404

Postby Tas Bus Nut » Fri May 15, 2009 5:31 pm

GREENCARD UPDATE: Apparently there are quite a few problems. I have been told it was taking 2 minutes to issue 3 tickets in Burnie. Also there is a problem with concesioon all day sales and adult all day sales. Changes to urban fringe areas has also caused a HUGE problem, so much so, Burnie drivers were close to striking this week. So things are NOT going well. Hobart introduction looks like being Sept. now (pipe dream).
A MAJOR problem is going to erupt in Hobart because Bridgewater & Gagebrook (housing commission subdivisions established in the 70s & 80s) will be classed as urban fringe and NOT entitled to Metro concession fares??? Considering NOW in these areas, you sell 95% concession fares so there is sure to be a huge uproar. Apparently (only hear-say) the Minister Graeme Sturges has stated that's how it's going to be, at least in short term. They better supply a police officer on EVERY service, if that's the case. Surely they won't go ahead with that ??? Would they ???
Tas Bus Nut

Postby Thylacine » Mon May 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Tas Bus Nut wrote:GREENCARD UPDATE: Apparently (only hear-say) the Minister Graeme Sturges has stated that's how it's going to be, at least in short term. They better supply a police officer on EVERY service, if that's the case. Surely they won't go ahead with that ??? Would they ???

The government is desperate to claw back some money perhaps? There will be a hell of a lot of trouble though if they aren't offered concession tickets. And rightly so, that's not urban fringe, it's urban if you ask me (urban = lots of houses!?). Maybe Brighton could be classed as Urban fringe. Buses will be travelling through there packed - packed with police officers, no room for passengers. Something I was wondering about the greencard was how they would stop people registering a cheaper ticket that they should? I'm sorry to hear the problems they're having, as the new ticket system would be good I think, once it's working of course.

I notice the new Eastern shore timetables have been released... They mention in the press release that passenger numbers have been falling, and I have to say, I'm not sure how these changes are going to help.
Thylacine

Favourite Vehicle: One that's on time

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)