Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
Sir Pompously
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:15 am
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3
Location: Tuggeranong, ACT
Contact:

Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by Sir Pompously »

Something that has seemed to go unoticed in this and other sections of the board (have done a search for Greencard with no results) is the introduction of Tasmania's Smartcard system, Greencard! Information can be found at http://www.metrotas.com.au/smartcard-info and the supplier is a German company by the name of INIT. Hopefully more information can be posted by the resident Tasmanians on the board, as I only know what is on the Metro website which states introduction is later this year and will start in Burnie. Along with this, 8 buses will be stickered up in a promotional livery.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club

User avatar
Mandurahbus
Posts: 874
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:53 am
Favourite Vehicle: Hyundai's!!!,Holden & 1214
Location: Mandurah

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by Mandurahbus »

Dont forget when the etim breaks down free rides for everyone!
The Mercedes Benz O305 & O305g Preservation Group is on Facebook

Robert Bus Service: Proudly serving the Mandurah area for 18years!!!!

Robert

User avatar
metro_tas
Posts: 2077
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:45 am
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland
Location: Hobart

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by metro_tas »

caltexboy wrote:Dont forget when the etim breaks down free rides for everyone!
fairly used of the ticketing system breakin down, its a daily occurence down here in hobart

User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
Posts: 9532
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:08 am
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303
Location: Hobart Tasmania

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Sir Pompously wrote:Something that has seemed to go unoticed in this and other sections of the board (have done a search for Greencard with no results) is the introduction of Tasmania's Smartcard system, Greencard! Information can be found at http://www.metrotas.com.au/smartcard-info and the supplier is a German company by the name of INIT. Hopefully more information can be posted by the resident Tasmanians on the board, as I only know what is on the Metro website which states introduction is later this year and will start in Burnie. Along with this, 8 buses will be stickered up in a promotional livery.
Nothing more about the Smartcard than what is on the Metro website at present. All I can tell you, is the new system is having trouble trying to transfer all the information from the Austrix? system (I think that's how it's spelt) Introduction has been DEFERRED for a few months. (April 2009) for Hobart now. The Hobart buses that operate rural services (Bothwell, New Norfolk, Channel regions) operate on the Datafare system, using BOTH Datafare & Crutz system on these services. The NEW smartcard (or iNiT) system will combine these two (thankfully)

User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
Posts: 9532
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:08 am
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303
Location: Hobart Tasmania

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Further delays. Burnie to be introduced NOW March - Hobart April. Not sure about Launceston

invictius
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:55 pm

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by invictius »

I'm guessing if 131 500 can be accessed interstate, then so too could Hobarts' 13 22 01

User avatar
howlerbus
Posts: 2210
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:30 am
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses
Location: Geelong

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by howlerbus »

metro_tas wrote:
caltexboy wrote:Dont forget when the etim breaks down free rides for everyone!
fairly used of the ticketing system breakin down, its a daily occurence down here in hobart
Same in Adelaide, as we use the Crouzet system as well...
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'

User avatar
Wilbur
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 3:37 am
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0404

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by Wilbur »

We have been using smart cards in Devonport since we started in 2000. great thing speeds up loading by heaps
Former Senior Driver

User avatar
Tas Bus Nut
Posts: 9532
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:08 am
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303
Location: Hobart Tasmania

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

GREENCARD UPDATE: Apparently there are quite a few problems. I have been told it was taking 2 minutes to issue 3 tickets in Burnie. Also there is a problem with concesioon all day sales and adult all day sales. Changes to urban fringe areas has also caused a HUGE problem, so much so, Burnie drivers were close to striking this week. So things are NOT going well. Hobart introduction looks like being Sept. now (pipe dream).
A MAJOR problem is going to erupt in Hobart because Bridgewater & Gagebrook (housing commission subdivisions established in the 70s & 80s) will be classed as urban fringe and NOT entitled to Metro concession fares??? Considering NOW in these areas, you sell 95% concession fares so there is sure to be a huge uproar. Apparently (only hear-say) the Minister Graeme Sturges has stated that's how it's going to be, at least in short term. They better supply a police officer on EVERY service, if that's the case. Surely they won't go ahead with that ??? Would they ???

Thylacine
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:18 am
Favourite Vehicle: One that's on time

Re: Metro Tasmania - Greencard Smartcard

Post by Thylacine »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:GREENCARD UPDATE: Apparently (only hear-say) the Minister Graeme Sturges has stated that's how it's going to be, at least in short term. They better supply a police officer on EVERY service, if that's the case. Surely they won't go ahead with that ??? Would they ???
The government is desperate to claw back some money perhaps? There will be a hell of a lot of trouble though if they aren't offered concession tickets. And rightly so, that's not urban fringe, it's urban if you ask me (urban = lots of houses!?). Maybe Brighton could be classed as Urban fringe. Buses will be travelling through there packed - packed with police officers, no room for passengers. Something I was wondering about the greencard was how they would stop people registering a cheaper ticket that they should? I'm sorry to hear the problems they're having, as the new ticket system would be good I think, once it's working of course.

I notice the new Eastern shore timetables have been released... They mention in the press release that passenger numbers have been falling, and I have to say, I'm not sure how these changes are going to help.

Post Reply

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”