[NSW]Buses at special events in the 50/60s.

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Red and Cream

[NSW]Buses at special events in the 50/60s.

Post by Red and Cream »

Whenever special events occur, it is always a great chance for enthusiasts to photograph large numbers of vehicles in a short space of time and often country buses seldom seen, appear. It was the same in the fifties and sixties, especialy when Billy Graham visited in 1959. Following is a selection of buses at special events from that period.

m/o 408 Albion M80 Syd Wood Punchbowl Bus Company ex m/o 1231 in Lang Road Moore Park waiting whilst its passengers attend the Billy Graham Rally on 19th April 1959.
This is one of my favourite early bus photos, not only because it is an interesting vehicle but because of the drivers, just hanging around to give atmosphere to the shot.

m/o 4263 Ford Syd Wood Riverstone Bus Service attending another religious service at the Showground but it was not a Billy Graham rally.

Buses in front rows left to right are: m/o 049 AEC Reliance Com Eng. W.A.& J.C.Johnson of Fairfield:Reo Syd Wood Austerity Church Bus:m/o 656 Leyland Syd Wood (Patgay front.) Punchbowl Bus Co.:m/o 4361 Bedford CCMC Rowes Bus Svce. trading as Coach Tours.:m/o 448 or m/o 705 AEC DD Foley and nc Chev Properts not sure about.
This is the same religious gathering as the last photo after all the buses were parked. Certainly a technicolour bunch.

Buses from L to R :M/O 981 Atkinson Syd Wood West Bankstown: m/o 4319 White Ryde- Parramatta Body Ryde-Parramatta Bus Svce.:m/o 4248 Austin Milperra Body Works. Granville Bus Company: AEC Reliance Com Eng Hills Bus Svce.
These buses were providing transport for scouts attending a Jamboree at Lansdowne. Neat rostering of the government buses has provided us of one of each make of DD in service at the time.

Something for AEC Decker. m/o 2279 at an event at the Sports Ground.
Last edited by Red and Cream on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Great photos!

Post by leopard1543 »

I think I might need an ambulance. :shock:

"Red and Cream", would you have a photo date for 2279 :?:
Bring back the Leopards!
dave
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo volgren B12

Post by dave »

2279 looks brand new at the time of the photo
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

dave wrote:2279 looks brand new at the time of the photo
I'd say just after its 1959 overhaul.
Bring back the Leopards!
AEC Decker
Favourite Vehicle: AEC air-door Decker of course.

Re: [NSW]Buses at special events in the 50/60s.

Post by AEC Decker »

Red and Cream wrote:Something for AEC Decker. m/o 2279 at an event at the Sports Ground.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
After picking my self up from the floor from the shock of seeing what looks like a brand new AEC Decker 2279. I now have my face glued to the screen examining this fine vehicle in minute detail.

Heart pills please leopard1543 :wink: :lol:
STA CNG Scania 3461-3520,3621-3661=Scania Blοater
STA O405NH=Classic Blοater
STA O500LE 4868-4877,4879-4902,1800-1811=Heavy Blοater
STA O500LE 1812 onwards=Blοater
STA O500LE Euro 5 Diesel=Non Blοater or AdBlueter
leopard1543

Re: [NSW]Buses at special events in the 50/60s.

Post by leopard1543 »

AEC Decker wrote:
Red and Cream wrote:Something for AEC Decker. m/o 2279 at an event at the Sports Ground.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
After picking my self up from the floor from the shock of seeing what looks like a brand new AEC Decker 2279. I now have my face glued to the screen examining this fine vehicle in minute detail.

Heart pills please leopard1543 :wink: :lol:
Just done a further check and I think that 2279's photo date could be around November, 1961 as that was one of its overhaul dates.
Bring back the Leopards!
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

Yes spot on leopard1543, November 1961. Judging by the state of the wheels i would say it was its first trip out on the road after returning from overhaul at Chullora.
GM

Post by GM »

m/o 4263 Riverstone Bus Service, I think the Shell Oil Co owned this vehicle originally. GM
Member 573
Favourite Vehicle: Things with wheels and wings.

Post by Member 573 »

So, the God Botherers are useful for something I suppose-if they cause lots of great buses to come together!

In the shot of the White leaving the scene with the three DGT deckers behind, would the canvase door Leyland happen to be a low bridge??

I notice that the engine hatch handle on 2279 has been painted green-do you have chest flutters AEC?
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

No Bus Fahrer, they are all full height deckers.
Novocastrian

Post by Novocastrian »

Magnificent photos !!!

Note the tramlines covered with bitumen in the foreground .
Windy

Post by Windy »

Is the Syd Wood bodied Albion decker a low bridge, or is it just the body looking like it's lower than the decker behind? Looks nicer than the Waddington bodies...
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Yes it is a lowbridge, and Red and Cream did you happen to note what the red and cream dd was right at the back in the same shot as the brown and white Foleys (Ramsgate Omnibus Serv?) dds -its looks vaguely like a lowbridge as well -McVicars?

Front brown and white dd appears to be M/0 705 ex DGT 1651 AEC The red and cream Reo Speedwagon is also interesting as I think it is one of the so called 'austerity' Syd Woods of about 1944/5 vintage. GM might elaborate on the latter...
Windy

Post by Windy »

Has anything similar to m/o 408 been preserved?
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

David, the McVicar decker towards the rear was m/o 911 ex m/o 1493 unfortunately not a lowbridge. The Foley DD amongst the other buses was their OPD2 m/o 358, one of the private build deckers before it was rebuilt as a SD. The Reo with unusual austerity body is owned by the Wentworthville Baptist Church.
Windy, the only lowbridge decker surviving today that we know of is the ex Campbelltown Waddington bodied one (apart from the wreck of m/o 1482 at Nowendoc).
Last edited by Red and Cream on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thirroul

Post by Thirroul »

Dave Wilson wrote:Yes it is a lowbridge, and Red and Cream did you happen to note what the red and cream dd was right at the back in the same shot as the brown and white Foleys (Ramsgate Omnibus Serv?) dds -its looks vaguely like a lowbridge as well -McVicars?

Front brown and white dd appears to be M/0 705 ex DGT 1651 AEC The red and cream Reo Speedwagon is also interesting as I think it is one of the so called 'austerity' Syd Woods of about 1944/5 vintage. GM might elaborate on the latter...
:wink: I'd back you with the DD at rear of photo 3 being from McVicar's Omnibus Services, Arch McVicar Snr.

3rd from right in second row behind Ramsgate DD in Red & Cream is either m/o 656 or 662 from Punchbowl Bus Company.

The WBBS bus in photo with the White is most likely m/o981 Atkinson Syd Wood.

There are some long gone liveries amongst these, someone might like to nominate the liveries???

Is that an Arthur Marrin vehicle at the laft rear photo 3?
Surf Thirroul, NSW's best beach! Where there's a load, there's a Leyland!
GM

Post by GM »

There were a number of Reos and Whites built in 1943 with the Austerity Syd Wood body. There may have been other chassis bodied but I have no record of them.
Bill Neely had a 32 seater m/o 612 which went to a Church Group in the Western Suburbs. This vehicle could be it.
George Sinclair had a White m/o 230. Allomes m/o 524 White.
The Entrance Red m/o 892 Reo which went to E S Riley Ettalong. Bales m/o 690 Reo.
From what I can gather the body sheeting was black iron instead of Zinc Anneal. The gutters were shaped steel & were straight along the body & did not dip down at the front or back, the inside lights were let into the body & covered with a small piece of glass.
If somebody has the Syd Wood body register we could clarrify the position.
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Red and Cream wrote:Yes spot on leopard1543, November 1961. Judging by the state of the wheels i would say it was its first trip out on the road after returning from overhaul at Chullora.
The AEC decker behind 2279 looks fresh out of overhaul also :!:
Bring back the Leopards!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

The WBBS bus in photo with the White is most likely m/o981 Atkinson Syd Wood.

There are some long gone liveries amongst these, someone might like to nominate the liveries???

Is that an Arthur Marrin vehicle at the laft rear photo 3?
[/quote]

I'm thinking that the lovely Comeng Reliance is Bales Wallacia. Would it have been too late in the peace for Marrin to have had a bonnetted bus (although it certainly looks like Marrin's colours)?- but maybe Red and Cream has the gen....
GM

Post by GM »

Thirroul - Arthur Marrin sold a number of his buses to the West Ryde Baptist Church and they remaind in his colours.
I will send a photo to Dave Wilson and get him to post it for me. GM
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

The Reliance with the Comeng body is m/o 049 W.A.& J.C.Johnson of Fairfield before it became Fairlines Bus Service and i am not sure about the nc Bedford but you are right about the colour scheme.
leopard1543

for "GM"

Post by leopard1543 »

1943 Syd Wood bodied Reo (m/o.602 W A Neely)
As BUH484 with Wentworthville Baptist Church

GMC Syd Wood body (A Marrin)
As BSR602 with West Ryde Baptist Church
Photographs: GM
Last edited by leopard1543 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back the Leopards!
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Ooops -last two not my photos but GMs.
leopard1543

Post by leopard1543 »

Dave Wilson wrote:Ooops -last two not my photos but GMs.
Thanks Dave, have amended them. :D
Bring back the Leopards!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I recall the late Sam Browne had a bonnetted GMC for "preservation" in the early 70s. He drove it to HCVA meetings a few times. Was it the unit in the picture above.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”