[NSW] Bus Rescue - Fearnes Wagga Wagga to Sydney

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

[NSW] Bus Rescue - Fearnes Wagga Wagga to Sydney

Post by Simes »

aka The Big W trip

Hey everyone,

Whilist alot of you were either enjoying what seemed to be known to some as "APEC day" about 10 of us were preparing for a journey down to Wagga Wagga. 3 having purchased what was MO 8582, MO 0301, MO 0304 and MO 1964. This weekend seemed to be the best opportunity to move the four.

A brief history of the 4 to the best of my knowledge (so feel free to expand on what I write by all means).

ex MO 8582, Leyland Worldmaster, a 1982 custom coaches rebody of a chassi that came from Oslo Norway. (would love to know more!)

ex MO 0301, Leyland Leopard, started life as PTC/UTA 1574 with a Smithfield body, in 1991 it along with it's brothers MO 0302 and MO 0305 received new front and rears resembling the VoV style being produced at the time. The seats covered in blue frontrunner (reminded me of what the mkIV's had before the tartan) seats and grey carpet stuck to the walls and what seems to be a must for Wagga's climate, floor heaters. It served as both a town bus - but was regulated to School Bus duties a few years back

ex MO 0304, Mercedes Benz O305 MkI, started life as 1964 with the PTC/UTA, the second last mkI produced. As far as I can tell, it spent it's life at Kingsgrove depot from mid 1978 through to late 1990. Then on sold to Fearnes Coaches where it served on town and school services. Although it along with other O305's and the Leopards utilitised exculsively on school services.

ex MO 1964, Mercedes Benz O305 MkI, started life as 1930 with the PTC/UTA, 2413 now has a mate. I was originally wanting to get MO 2029 which was 1916 - the first O305 into Kingsgrove, the first Kingsgrove Mercedes, but as fate would have it, time had not been kind to it, so wanting to get a mechanically sound bus - I was advised this was a goer and boy were those two people right!
Anyhow, 1930 was withdrawn in early 1990 and purchased by Fearnes, being first used on all services. At one point it and another mkI were put on a shuttle service which used to serve the main street, sponsored by a local radio station, both buses were painted in a all over ad for the station, 1964 got painted back into fleet colours (there are reminders of this ad on the centre door), the other mkI remains in a yellow livery minus signwriting (didn't get down to the back of the yard to see which one it was).

Friday 9am.

A convoy of 2 vans and a P76 leaves Sydney bound for Wagga, on the M7 we happen to come across this ex Hunter Valley buses/Blue Ribbon mkI
It would appear that the transmission failed, unfortunitly the local yobs had got to it and a few bricks went through windows. On the return leg home, it was noted being towed by what is believed to be the motorway operator's towing contractor.

We arrived in Wagga Wagga about 3.30/ 4pm after a few stops along the way and some rather heavy traffic on the M5 around Campbelltown.
On arrival at Fearnes we were warmly received by all the staff we came across, the Leopard and the 2 mercs were waiting for us lined up in the front yard. While we were there, the afternoon's school services were arriving back in the yard, noticed some of the remaining mkI's, a few ansair O305's and others which I can't recall.
Some paper work was taken care of and the next morning's arrangements made. After that, it was off to the RTA.

Saturday 9am

Back at Fearnes, we were greeted by the staff on hand, the Worldmaster was sighted for the first time (well at least by me) in the main shed, a few issues needed addressing on the Friday afternoon and it did not make it back to the yard until after most of us had left.
When talk in the shed turned to the Worldmaster, the maintainence manager said something along the lines of "We can't let it go with rims like that, they need a fresh coat of paint." With that the dress rims were removed and the rims resprayed.

Here is a pic of ex MO 8582 alongside ex MO 4420 which is in the process of being resprayed and refurbished ahead of its donation to the Sydney Bus Museum

Just before 11am we set off for Sydney, with the bus tucked into bed just shy of 8pm.
The buses seemed to average between 75km/h and 80km/h for the mercs and between 90km/h and 100km/h for the Leylands. (100km/h for the leopard defintely)
Fuel consumption
for ex 0301 the Leopard 25L / 100km
for ex 0304 32L/ 100km
not sure about the worldie or ex1964 yet (although the mercs seemed to perform the same and need some attention to the kickdown - so it may well be the same)

A few photos from the journey
firstly, ex MO 8582 with ex MO 0304 in the middle and ex MO 0301, not sure where I and ex MO 1964 were at this point
Worldie ex MO 8582 at an unknown truck stop on the Hume highway with a Sydney bound Greyhound PUP 669 in the background
Finally, we have the line up of all four, in the truck park of a bp service centre at Marulan.

A big thank you to Andy Lee, Mosman_was, Diamond T, Mobitec ICU, OLYMPIAN and Rail Bus. Also to everyone for making it a good weekend

Thanks to Andy Lee for taking these (and more) photos
Last edited by Simes on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
invada1

Post by invada1 »

What a line up and rescue

Great work by those responsible.

All look in very good condition knowing Fernes vehicles its not surprising that they look betterthan when they were Gov vehicles.

Oh and Big Bird the Yellow one my eyes were are my sunnies quick.

Ps. good to see the photo which shows the distance between vehicles
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Sounds like some great people at Fearnes! Love that bit about the maintenance manager wanting to respray the rims before it left :-)
Is it the truth, or did you hear it from the truth engineer?

http://www.forsyth.id.au/gallery/bus
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Fantastic stuff, and great to see a Fearnes Worldmaster saved. I have been obsessed with these vehicles since I was 7. It is also wonderful to see that Fearnes are going to the effort to respray MO 4420.

Whilst Fearnes have traditionally had a fleet with a vast mix of mainly older buses, they have never been the type to run old bangers. All of their older buses were immaculate and in 'as new' condition. In recent years, a major fleet upgrade has seen a batch of Spartans, Irisbus Agoralines and various one off new buses purchased, finally putting some of these older gems to rest. It is quite amazing to think that a fleet which was once at least 75% leyland now only has one left! MO 4852 Leyland Super Viking / PMC.

Ben
R-C

Post by R-C »

That super viking is in the Spare Bus Yard no longer used, unregistered and for sale!
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

MobitecICU wrote:That super viking is in the Spare Bus Yard no longer used, unregistered and for sale!
Oh, an interesting move considering it had a new engine a few years ago and was first registered in 1995 (when Baxters got it off Bass Hill Bus Service, correct me if I'm wrong). That would therefore make it 'newer' than all the O305s, 1316s, Isuzus and some of the MCAs!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Ben O wrote:
Oh, an interesting move considering it had a new engine a few years ago and was first registered in 1995 (when Baxters got it off Bass Hill Bus Service, correct me if I'm wrong). That would therefore make it 'newer' than all the O305s, 1316s, Isuzus and some of the MCAs!
You are right BUT while it was first regd in 1995, the body (and chassis) date back to 1984. It had sat in the shed at Bass Hill for at least 10 years.

Of course even with a 1984 body it would still be younger than the Mercs.
Living in the Shire.
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Ben O wrote:
You are right BUT while it was first regd in 1995, the body (and chassis) date back to 1984. It had sat in the shed at Bass Hill for at least 10 years.

Of course even with a 1984 body it would still be younger than the Mercs.
Actually, when I think of it, date of first rego was scrapped in the early 1990s wasn't it? Hence why operators stopped rebodying older buses.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Who should be recorded as the buyers of MO 8582, MO 0304 and MO 0301 - I think it is Mobitec for the last one but would like confirmation of that.
Living in the Shire.
R-C

Post by R-C »

PM Sent
andyr

Re: [NSW] Bus Rescue - Fearnes Wagga Wagga to Sydney

Post by andyr »

Simes wrote: A convoy of 2 vans and a P76 leaves Sydney bound for Wagga, on the M7 we happen to come across this ex Hunter Valley buses/Blue Ribbon mkI

It would appear that the transmission failed, unfortunitly the local yobs had got to it and a few bricks went through windows. On the return leg home, it was noted being towed by what is believed to be the motorway operator's towing contractor.
That had been there since at least Monday morning last week - that was the first time I saw it, then like you, saw on Friday on my way south that the local cretins had smashed the rear window.
Andy Lee

Post by Andy Lee »

Further to what Simes has said, they really do operate a very good operation there and to a better standard than a few Sydney operators.
All the vehicles are clean and well presented from front line right down to the spare spare school buses, a real credit to the staff.

But on another note it is sad some on the board of the museum go out of their way to reject interesting PRIVATE buses from being donated, luckily they were beaten by a majority and MO4420 HAS been accepted by the museum, it is even being restored prior to going to Sydney. If only a few other companys had donated vehicles................................
As you get older you start to tick more boxes.....................why is it so?
Deano
Administrator

Post by Deano »

Andy Lee wrote:But on another note it is sad some on the board of the museum go out of their way to reject interesting PRIVATE buses from being donated, luckily they were beaten by a majority and MO4420 HAS been accepted by the museum, it is even being restored prior to going to Sydney. If only a few other companys had donated vehicles................................
Alot of companies have in the past spoke of donating significant vehicles to the museum, yet after the riff raff and carrying on from those within they have decided not to donate them. It would be nice at least if the museum is not interested in housing the vehicle, to at least put the operator onto an individual who wants the vehicle and can house it, rather than just let it meet it's fate.
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

MKI Merc 1964

Post by leopard1543 »

I remember driving an un-overhauled MKI Merc m/o.1964 when I was on loan from Waverley to Kingsgrove back in 1984 on a route 478.
It was a good bus even before its overhaul. :D
Bring back the Leopards!
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

Deano wrote:
Andy Lee wrote:But on another note it is sad some on the board of the museum go out of their way to reject interesting PRIVATE buses from being donated, luckily they were beaten by a majority and MO4420 HAS been accepted by the museum, it is even being restored prior to going to Sydney. If only a few other companys had donated vehicles................................
Alot of companies have in the past spoke of donating significant vehicles to the museum, yet after the riff raff and carrying on from those within they have decided not to donate them. It would be nice at least if the museum is not interested in housing the vehicle, to at least put the operator onto an individual who wants the vehicle and can house it, rather than just let it meet it's fate.
I think you'll find that someone's been telling stories, but only telling half of the truth. Don't believe everything you are told.
Enjoy.
turbom
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes 0405NH

Post by turbom »

That is the usual response when someone is responsible for the story being told.
Due to Defective Brakes, The next train does not stop at this platform, intending passengers should board this train by running down the platform. Doors may not be open.
Andy Lee

Post by Andy Lee »

Thats great, but i have been told who the 3 directors are that rejected it.
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

I am glad to see that MO 4420 has been accepted by the museum. Fearnes have certainly gone out of their way to help enthusiasts out over the years and this is shown by the work they are doing to 4420 before it comes back to Sydney. I will be utterly disgusted if the museum changes their mind and rejects this fine vehicle.
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Post by Rail Bus »

Now for my 6d worth! Starting out in Sydney on Friday morning knowing that we were getting out of Sydney for the weekend was a good enough feeling to begin with. The trip to Wagga was enjoyable, with all the usual carry-on between Board Members that goes on! The yellow Mk1 Merc in Simes's post was 1794. It had been on the side of the road for atleast 2 weeks.

A few stops were made on the way down, and over lunch at Yass Junction, the Gravy Joke was born. As we made our way further south, the Moswan Was owned "Steady Van" made its precence known to all thanks to Mobitec. :lol:

As said above, when we arrived at Fearne's depot, we found the Mk5 Leopard (1578), and the two Mk1 Mercs ready for us. Andy Lee's 1980 bodied Worldmaster was obtained from a nearby yard and driven by Mosman Was to the Workshop depot. Next morning all buses were made ready for the long trip north to Sydney. I started my driving stint in Mobitec's 1964 (ex MO 0304) for the run to Gundagai, from where Hub Man was relieved of Steering Wheel Attending duties in Simes's 1930 (ex MO 1964) allowing me to take the bus the next couple of hundred kilometres to Marulan. After a break here to keep within legal Heavy Veichle driving hours, I took over Andy Lee's Worldmaster, ex MO 8582.

After all veichles cleared the RTA Checking Station without being called in, the two Mercs were sent off ahead while the Leylands had their fuel pumps and engine timing looked at. From here it was an easy 3 hour stint to Sydney at the wheel of a great bus. :D I soon got used to "chasing the wheel" and the whistle of air as it was drawn through the radiator. After months of newer buses, I had somewhat forgotten how noisy old Leylands are to drive! This was no deterrent though to me wanting to drive it more! :P

As we neared Sydney we moved back into more familiar territory. I have driven the Hume Freeway dozens of times from the Southern Highlands to Sydney, but this was my first oppurtunity to come back into Sydney at the wheel of a bus.

All 4 buses performed well on the trip home, with the only drama of the trip being the trailer on the back of the "Steady Van" which failed around North Ryde, but was quickly rescued and safely taken onto Mosman Was's yard without further incident.

Over Dinner, the next "Rescue Mission" was discussed. As it involves Windy's money, I'll leave it to him to comment further. Meanwhile, my photos from the trip can be viewed at http://australian-bus-rail-interchange. ... 66836.html
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Ahhhh so now I know where you disappeared to Rail Bus :lol:
Thanks for catching this shot, ex MO 1964 was in this livery at one point, from further research she was repainted into fleet colours in Feb. 2002

http://australian-bus-rail-interchange. ... 21756.html
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

Andy Lee wrote:Thats great, but i have been told who the 3 directors are that rejected it.
I hope you're not including me in that group, as I never rejected the vehicle. What's more interesting is that you posted whilst the HCVA Board was meeting, and the bus in question certainly hadn't been discussed by 8.40pm. It would appear that your sauce has been having a little play with the truth.
Enjoy.
Andy Lee

Post by Andy Lee »

No this is from previous meetings and i will not be discussing that further.
But it is true, and without turning this into a museum bash, that younger members and those whose interests stray from government buses are the outcasts which is a shame and they are actively turned away.
I have been reluctant to recall an event a few weeks ago but i think it is a good example of this, a few weeks ago a person joined as a member having recently purchased a vehicle to restore, he offered to make a donation to the museum for a set of destination rolls of which are in plentifull supply, to be told we want $100 each for them now we can get $100 on ebay. Yet a few years ago they were selling them for $10 each.
My problem is not they want to flog them off for unrealistic prices, nor what a certain (board) member can get for them on ebay, but not trying to encourage this person to be involved and in turn most likely become an active member of the place, but after this feels reluctant to.
I am really interested in what the long term future plans are for the place, by shunning people away the future will end when the current generation pass.Do the younger set really need to go and start another club to cater for their interests like another group already have? Or will things change?

And i nearly forgot.
The whole point of the gripe was that the bus was going to be rejected becasue of space issues, but if the useless crap was shifted then i am sure half a dozen more exibits would fit in.
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

The matter of the Fearnes bus was only discussed at the meeting last night.

Your greviences would be better aired with the HCVA Board than in public.

Your sauce has missed the point of the discussion between Directors, so once again I suggest that it is wise not to believe everything you are told.

Let's talk more at the HCVA meeting on Friday night, rather than tie up this thread about buses entering preservation.
Enjoy.
Andy Lee

Post by Andy Lee »

Ok
at the usual dinner locale i guess
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Love the lineup shot.

Who owns the other Mark 1 Mercedes Besides Simes's unit?

I have known about those refirbished ex UTA Leopards for a long time now.I read an article on the clever minimal cost modernisation process they went through.

Only since seeing them on the streets of Sydney has it hit me how amazing they really are,seeing a mark 5 looking bus with a Leyland 680 purr coming from them.Quite odd in a good way!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”