Brisbane Transport 2006 Xmas Lights Tours

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Brisbane Transport 2006 Xmas Lights Tours

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

They are back for 2006.
The ever popular Brisbane Transport Christmas Lights Tours for 2006.

Escape into a Christmas wonderland for about 3 hours as you journey around festive Brisbane neighbourhoods viewing prize winning Christmas Lights displays.

* Tickets are only available through Ticketek.
* Transaction fee may apply.
* NO tickets are available at the bus stop on the night.

To book tickets, visit Ticketek or telephone 132 849 for your nearest Ticketek outlet.
On the Ticketek Website for "Event Selector" in "Search Keyword" type in "Christmas Lights".

DETAILS:-

From Saturday 16th December to Friday 22nd December 2006

Buses depart between 6.45PM and 7.00PM sharp

Prices:-
obtained from the Ticketek website.

Prices include booking fee.
Adults................................................................$14.75
Family Ticket (2A+2C).........................................$33.60
Pensioners / Seniors, Qld Only & Juniors................$8.20

Buses depart from:-

Ann St, City................................................ANZAC Square
Carindale Shopping Centre.............................Interchange Zone H
Garden City Shopping Centre..........................Interchange Zone A
Indooroopilly Shopping Centre.........................Interchange Zone C
Chermside Shopping Centre............................Interchange Zone D

Book yourself and the Elves in now before Santa's sleigh is all filled up.

Edit Note:- prices have been added.
Last edited by Volvo B12BLEA on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
itsme

Post by itsme »

Where abouts do the tours go. Just curious about the itinerary
T1248

Post by T1248 »

From what i know, each tour is different. And at this stage it cant be known where each tour will go as no one has their lights up yet. However it just goes past alot of the houses that have all the fancy christmas lights. I would even guess that if alot of houses in a little group had the lights that they might stop of near by and let you wonder past them all. I have never personally been on one, however i am taking what I consider a decent stab at what might happen on each.

Cheers James
Mysteriously Disappeared
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Post by T1200 »

It ties in a bit with the results of the annual 4KQ Christmas lights competition.

The tours always pass by the winners if at all possible, and there are usually the same people every year who do a great job.

Then there's the idiots who follow the BT buses in their cars - usually four or five behind each bus.

I have always gone on the Garden City tour and really enjoyed it.

There is a thread from last year here.

One thing I always love is the annual decoration of BT buses for the inter-depot competition - but that is another topic. Last Year's thread
Reality continues to ruin my life.
VH-NJF
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200 (BCC)

Post by VH-NJF »

Its a set route that is different every year, for each region. i.e. Virginia and Bowen Hills have the same route for Chermside.
"Clear for take off, runway one niner.... Vee-oz seven..."

024GJT
966BUJ
129BSO
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Post by T1200 »

Typed from Friday's "Today" frontpage.

Wheels are in motion for Christmas lights bus tours, writes Philip Hammond

Eight nights, 40 buses, nearly 13 000 people. For David Stone, Brisbane City Council's Christmas lights director, the magic of Christmas is a planning exercise which started months ago.

This year, Stone will be loading a party of newly arrived Japanese tourists aboard for their first culture shock - an Aussie summer Christmas tour around fairy light-festooned churches and houses.

In eight years of running the annual Brisbane Christmas lights bus tours, Stone has noticed two trends. The cost of compulsory insurance cover for entries in the 4KQ competition has deterred some. The others have just kept buying more and more lights each year, striving to top last year's display.

"Some of these places have over 68000 lights," he revealed, with a trace of awe in his voice.

Stone estimates he spends 80-90 hours on pre-tour planning; selecting 10-12 big displays to feature in a three-and-a-quarter-hour run.

The northside tour strays into Pine Rivers Shire, and takes in a whole street of displays in Braken Ridge.

He may use entries in the Woolworths competition, as well as the big 4KQ competition. He has to be mindful of cul-de-sacs and randomly parked sightseers' cars and how he can keep a 40-seater bus to its schedule.

Then he has to familiarise all the drivers with the various routes.

For eight nights, from Saturday December 16 until December 32, 40 buses, each with 40 seats, head out on separate tours. Buses leave Indooroopilly heading west, from Garden City heading south, east from Carindale Shopping Centre and North from Chermside and Ann St in the City.

"We have people who come from the Gold and Sunshine coasts who do all four different trips," he said.

Stone's favourites include Sandgate Uniting Church and Stafford Baptist Church becasue their theme reflects the real spirit of Christmas. The churches raise funds for international projects by offering snacks and cold drinks. Stone also recommends trippers carry bottles of water - getting around displays in a run of up to 70km is thirsty work.

"Kiddies love the displays," he said. "Families think they are beautiful."
Reality continues to ruin my life.
Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

T1200 wrote: For eight nights, from Saturday December 16 until December 32,
I guess the final day is December 23rd NOT December 32nd. :lol:
Actually having a look at the BT official pamphlet for the Tours, final day is Dec 22nd.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”