Buses and PIDs

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

.karl.

Buses and PIDs

Post by .karl. »

I was just thinking and are there any bus Companies that have PIDs on there buses or any thinking of doing it?
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

No, no bus companies do and I don't think any are intending to. Not counting the tourist shuttle run by Ventura/National which has audio announcements IIRC.

Why are they needed - if you don't know where you are or need directions, carry a timetable and/or a route map, or simply just ask the driver as most will be willing to give you and help you need to find a perticular location :D ;) :?
jb17kx
Favourite Vehicle: Irisbus Agoraline

Post by jb17kx »

The only instance that I have seen of it anywhere in Australia was a mobitec system in one BT bus, but it is never properly working.
Selected artistic and gunzel photos from my collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb17kx
Craig

Re: Buses and PIDs

Post by Craig »

.karl. wrote:I was just thinking and are there any bus Companies that have PIDs on there buses or any thinking of doing it?
They are being introduced as part of the Smartbus project.

From the DoI Smartbus technology page:
http://tinyurl.com/hujbq wrote:On-board audible and visual messages will tell passengers the next stop. External speakers on buses will also inform passengers waiting at stops the route number and destination when the bus arrives at a stop serving multiple routes.

Some buses have been fitted with the PID, although not turned on yet, and are covered over.

I noticed one onboard Ventura #837 on Monday, towards the front of the bus, but behind the front row of seats. Didn't have my camera with me. :(

Kind Regards

Craig :)
B7RLE
Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Post by B7RLE »

In my opinon all the new buses have PID it is called the NEXT STOP sign :D
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
.karl.

Post by .karl. »

B7RLE wrote:In my opinon all the new buses have PID it is called the NEXT STOP sign :D
They don't have that now, It's Bus Stopping Volgern anyway.

I caught Dysons bus 318 today one of there new buses with the new look inside. Theres a pole that goes across the front on the bus fron left to right just behind the front seats and thought this would be a great place to have a PID.
Can you imagen having the Alstom lady on buses :evil: . Ha!
Now arriving at Watsonia Stn change for Route 566 and 520..................services. then she'll be everywhere

Karl :wink:
PaxInfo

Re: Buses and PIDs

Post by PaxInfo »

.karl. wrote:I was just thinking and are there any bus Companies that have PIDs on there buses or any thinking of doing it?
Transperth has them on their free CBD CAT services.

Peter
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”