Decker in St Peters

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Deano
Administrator

Decker in St Peters

Post by Deano »

Seen today in St Petes by Andy Lee, does anyone know any details on it? Rego markings say XUM410 unsure if that's what it's RTA registration was or not?

Windy

Re: Decker in St Peters

Post by Windy »

Deano wrote:Seen today in St Petes by Andy Lee, does anyone know any details on it? Rego markings say XUM410 unsure if that's what it's RTA registration was or not?
Howdy!

I will try out the fleetlists here to see where it is ex, but I can tell you that it is a Roe body, which looks like it is in the spec of the Yorkshire PTE (Public Transport Executive). Possibly an AN68/2R, or very late PDR circa 1974/76. Will get back to you.
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Good ole Andy Lee aye. :D

That bus has been floating around the inner city for quite a few years now. It used to be all over gold.
Fuji

Post by Fuji »

Westbus had one of these that was ex-WYPTE 416 (UK Reg UNW416H). 'H' Reg would make it 1969 model I think.

The Westbus unit was registered m/o881.
Fuji

Post by Fuji »

Have found a photograph that shows one with reg m/o481. perhaps they bought more than one?
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

yes west bus had 4 or 5 of these units they were to be used between parramatta & castle hill on route work no sooner painted & rego parra council open the mall in church street so buses had to go via westfields under low railway bridge so these buse went onto school work in the suburbs they had 2 doors good to drive
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
AC
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by AC »

Definately ex Westbus. It was painted all over gold a couple of years ago in behind the SCG.
"On time all the time"
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

well it's certainly not gold now is it
Fuji

Post by Fuji »

captainch wrote:yes west bus had 4 or 5 of these units they were to be used between parramatta & castle hill on route work no sooner painted & rego parra council open the mall in church street so buses had to go via westfields under low railway bridge so these buse went onto school work in the suburbs they had 2 doors good to drive
Can you remember the m/o rego's and ex-UK details?
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Tomislav wrote:well it's certainly not gold now is it
well obviously :shock:
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

no sorry but they were painted white & green I remember mo881 they were all 3 numbered plates old copies of fleetline would have them the single door bus was sold to macdonalds at richmond its still there I think 4 kids to play in sory can.t help any more
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Ben O wrote:
Tomislav wrote:well it's certainly not gold now is it
well obviously :shock:
I think Tomyslav was trying to make a point,as in, the bus doesn't look like it would be worth much gold.
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Post by OLYMPIAN »

That bus park in St Peters quiet often

some 10 years ago, one of the similar bus was sitting in someones backyard along the train line between Erskinville and St Peters..

Is it the same one?
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
mosman was

Post by mosman was »

This bus at St.Peters has been floating around Sydney for years. First noted to Millers Tempe in 1993. It had a story of it's history printed down the near side in continuous lable, stating...... Westbus till late 1970's, to Madam lash, the prost. at Palm beach, at Sydney sculpture centre. They painted it gold and had it stored at Millers. The bus moved on to apear ar SCG, later removed to a service station at Blakehurst, noted in 1996. Then moved to a yard at St.Peters, then on the steet at the brick works, Sydney park. Moved on to current location approx. 4 years ago. Beware, there is a guy living in it, and has done for some years. It still goes, and the counsil have been trying to remove it for 2 years, without success.
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Post by Rail Bus »

mosman is wrote:This bus at St.Peters has been floating around Sydney for years. First noted to Millers Tempe in 1993. It had a story of it's history printed down the near side in continuous lable, stating...... Westbus till late 1970's, to Madam lash, the prost. at Palm beach, at Sydney sculpture centre. They painted it gold and had it stored at Millers. The bus moved on to apear ar SCG, later removed to a service station at Blakehurst, noted in 1996. Then moved to a yard at St.Peters, then on the steet at the brick works, Sydney park. Moved on to current location approx. 4 years ago. Beware, there is a guy living in it, and has done for some years. It still goes, and the counsil have been trying to remove it for 2 years, without success.
Mosman Is is quite right about some of the "local " history of this bus. I too have been around to see it. AllI know is that it is a (aprox.) 1969 bodied Leyland Atlantean, imported to Australia by Westbus. This bus was also at Palm Beach around 10 years ago. The current "nutter" living in it has been ordered by Marricville Council to move the bus. When I spoke to the owner before Christmas, he was looking for somewhere else to put it. Despite knowing of places, I declined to tell him as I'm sure neither Mosman Is or the Parker's want someone camping on site at their respective yards. :|
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Someone told me it is illegal to sleep in any vehicle,including a purpose built campervan,in a public place.
wypte

Post by wypte »

Hi guys, wonder if I could be permitted to join this forum, in order to ask a question about this vehicle.

Here in England, our group own one of these vehicles (UK registration SUG591M) which is one of the later AN68/2R vehicles. I am aware that a number of the earlier PDR2/1 batch were exported to Australia in the 1980s, but I know very little.

The vehicles were all new to Leeds City Transport, which was then absorbed into the West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive - our 591 has its own page at http://www.typg.org.uk/591.html

I have a little information on the vehicles exported, and that three are believed to survive: Leeds 462 (UK reg ANW462J) which was burnt out, an unidentified one rebuilt as a camper (from a pic I've seen, the bodywork between the decks has been repaneled in flat aluminium) and this one in Sydney, also unidentified, and with the original fibreglass bits between the decks.

Anyone able to tell me about the identities of these ones? If it helps, there may be the Leeds fleet number internally, above the front windows of each deck, then in the engine bay (offside, above the engine, on a metal plate).

Of the ones exported to Australia, I have seen some in the livery of Westbus with Bosnjaks on the destination, their registration plates show the following:

MO724
MO881
MO481
MO725
MO645 (the last two are not that clear).

If anyone can tell me more, would appreciate it.

If the one pictured above does go for scrap, anyone interested in getting some (small) parts from it and mailing them over to England (i would reinburse of course).

Thanks in anticipation.

James Fairchild
Transport Yorkshire Preservation Group - preserving the bus transport heritage of West Yorkshire in the United Kingdom - http://www.typg.org.uk
Andy Lee

Post by Andy Lee »

I will keep you posted, still there today.
As you get older you start to tick more boxes.....................why is it so?
wypte

Post by wypte »

Andy Lee wrote:I will keep you posted, still there today.
Cheers mate, much appreciated. Do you reckon the owner/tenant would be interested in allowing some internal photos, or is it possible to get any of the cab area from outside (through the doors)?

Sorry to be a pain, but many many thanks for finding this wonderful vehicle. Chances are this is the only Leeds City Transport Roe bodied PDR in anything like original condition to survive.

Regards, James
Transport Yorkshire Preservation Group - preserving the bus transport heritage of West Yorkshire in the United Kingdom - http://www.typg.org.uk
mosman was

Post by mosman was »

Servive is just about it. It is in rather poor state with this chap living in it for some years now on the streets around Sydney. If anyone can get an interior photo, it will be Andy as he lives close by. It has no seats and is full of junk, the windows are all blacked out, it has a hole in the roof where he puts his solar panel out for power. We are not too keen to approach the chap as he seems to enjoy being a recluse to society in his own way. Will keep you posted!
In the words of a "highly succesful bus operator", I choose to be a winner and not a loser! I am now winning!!
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

@Andy Lee,

if you visit it again soo check the nearside near the front door as there is a small desto window with some writing on it, if I remember correctly it says "Leeds City Transport" which clears up its origin.

As for other details, I was there with you that day and if you remember the owner was a bit of a nutter and the inside was like a rubbish tip with one heck of a horrible stench (I think he had rats or hampsters inside aswell).
Has AdMet CB80 fever
wypte

Post by wypte »

The Inspector wrote:@Andy Lee,

if you visit it again soo check the nearside near the front door as there is a small desto window with some writing on it, if I remember correctly it says "Leeds City Transport" which clears up its origin.
Mr. Inspector,

Do you mean the small side window as in http://www.typg.org.uk/591.html second and fourth pictures down?

This body was unique to Leeds City Transport (who were then absorbed into West Yorkshire PTE in April 1974) apart from that a couple of independents had buses tagged onto Leeds batches, this was only a handful of buses though.

To Andy also - any chance of a nearside picture?

Think I'm gonna tell my girlfriend that we need a holiday in Sydney - maybe she could distract him whilst I look under the engine compartment for the chassis number!!!

Thanks everyone once again.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

wypte wrote: Do you mean the small side window as in http://www.typg.org.uk/591.html second and fourth pictures down?
Yep, thats the one, the route number window. I dont think I took a nearside shot but am pretty sure I took a pic of the writing on the window. Will check when I return to Aust next month.

By the way, I see you are from Leeds, well I am currently in the UK and plan to visit Leeds before I go, can you give me an idea of what to look out for on the bus scene that may be of interest?

Is it Leeds or Manchester that has the guided buses??
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Windy

Post by Windy »

wypte (is that West Yorkshire Public Transport Executive?)

I saw the vehicle again, and attempted to have a peek inside. I can't seem to find the gearchange lever... was it an airpost gearchange of a electric gearchange? Either that or maybe it has been converted to an auto :shock: But I hope that isn't the case.
wypte

Post by wypte »

The Inspector wrote:
wypte wrote: Do you mean the small side window as in http://www.typg.org.uk/591.html second and fourth pictures down?
Yep, thats the one, the route number window. I dont think I took a nearside shot but am pretty sure I took a pic of the writing on the window. Will check when I return to Aust next month.

By the way, I see you are from Leeds, well I am currently in the UK and plan to visit Leeds before I go, can you give me an idea of what to look out for on the bus scene that may be of interest?

Is it Leeds or Manchester that has the guided buses??
Hi mate - its a small world! Leeds has the guided buses, they do the Scott Hall Road corridor and the York Road corridor.

Assuming that (like many enthusiasts) you are more interested in the older stuff, then 'proper' WYPTE Leyland Olympians are just about dead (there is one left in Leeds and some in Bradford though theres are mainly schools). There are some later Leyland Olympians in all day service (these are F/G reg I think - circa 1989 vintage).

Leeds also has some Scanias (G and H reg, circa 1990).

Then we have the guideways, operated by a mixture of Scania L113 and L94 with Wright single deck bodies, and double deck Volvo B7 with either Alexander ALX400 or Wright Eclipse Gemini double deck bodies.

Hope you enjoy your visit.
windy wrote:wypte (is that West Yorkshire Public Transport Executive?)

I saw the vehicle again, and attempted to have a peek inside. I can't seem to find the gearchange lever... was it an airpost gearchange of a electric gearchange? Either that or maybe it has been converted to an auto Shocked But I hope that isn't the case.
Its West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive. This would have had a gear lever sort of coming out of the steering column, controlled by the drivers left hand (electric connectors rather than air to the switch), four speed semi auto box.

Cheers again all for your assistances.[/i]

Return to “General Transport Discussion”