Mercedes o305 new conversion

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
menimerc

Mercedes o305 new conversion

Post by menimerc »

Hi everyone!
New here, just started gutting a 1980 o305 old sydney transport bus! I picked it up off a mate for a fair price.
I hope to convert to a nice modern simple motor home. budget and time frame TBA....... hahahaha
Its a very ambitious project and have so manny questions!
I have the manuals if anyone wants them let me know, they are now converted to PDF and easy to share.
A few questions
Has anyone done this bus before? I am having trouble finding some already done 305's..... why?
If there are people out there please send me some advice or things you wish you knew before you started!
If anyone can help me gain privilege to message people that would be great. Reading posts can get you some info, but I wold love to ask more detailed questions to individuals.
Has anyone removed the rear doors from the air compressor system? is this easy? I plan to put my shower where the rear door is.
Advice on second hand windows, sun roof, doors, side mirror etc would be greatly appreciated.
anyway, thought I would start a thred to share my progress and ask specific questions to the Merc o305
watch me on instagram fumble through the process @menithemerc
ax8

Re: Mercedes o305 new conversion

Post by ax8 »

The problem with most 0305's is they are geared for city life, most will only do 80km's top speed, ok around town but not real good on the hwy but you may be lucky and have a hwy diff in it.
Not sure what state you live in but talk to an engineer before you start as any modifications will need to be signed off by an engineer if you want to register it as a motorhome.
good luck with it, it's a big job but one bite at a time and you'll get through it.
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

You will need :
Strong marriage
Patience
Skills you didn't know you had
Big cojones
Understanding neighbours
Bucket of money

You will get:
Unbelievable satisfaction
Closer to your wife (unless 1 above was not so)
Amazing help from here and other places
Pride in the project
Pride in the skills you learn
Membership of a small exclusive club (no sticks and staples here thanks)

Go for it, long road but worth it.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

You need to know what you have, you have told us you have a M/B 0305,but mk what 1,2,3,4,5.,when you go to M/B dealer they are going to ask that question,as some parts are interchangeable some are not
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

A 1980 bus would have to be one of the later Mark II's.
Living in the Shire.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Fleet Lists wrote:A 1980 bus would have to be one of the later Mark II's.
THERE IS THREE MANUALS PRINTED I have all some time it pays to have all different changes make it hard to service or get parts I found most buses in city service are not all the same in parts tourist one have different gearboxes so better to obtain ZF manual with all types
Guy Arab
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

ax8 wrote:The problem with most 0305's is they are geared for city life, most will only do 80km's top speed, ok around town but not real good on the hwy but you may be lucky and have a hwy diff in it.
Not sure what state you live in but talk to an engineer before you start as any modifications will need to be signed off by an engineer if you want to register it as a motorhome.
good luck with it, it's a big job but one bite at a time and you'll get through it.
The speed/gearing is not so much of a problem. Higher speed diffs should be readily obtainable, but you will lose some pulling power for take offs and hill climbing. Depending on where you intend travelling, the time advantage may be negligible.

But the other "city" impediment is that it is a low height (not "low floor") chassis, so you don't have a lot of under floor space for storage, etc. A high floor coach chassis gives you space for water tanks, sullage tanks, etc which you will probably need for "environmental" approvals, especially if you intend fitting a shower.

Removal of the centre door should entail little more than capping off the air lines to it, and isolating all the safety interlocks into the braking system.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

LB608 wrote:You need to know what you have, you have told us you have a M/B 0305,but mk what 1,2,3,4,5.,when you go to M/B dealer they are going to ask that question,as some parts are interchangeable some are not
Ah no, spare parts blokes don't give a . . . . . , All they will want is a chassis number. MK1 through 4 are O305 chassis so that side is all the same.

Now in saying that, don't waste your breath with Mercedes for parts, go through multispares and whites diesels
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
Littledragon

Post by Littledragon »

Guy_Arab wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:A 1980 bus would have to be one of the later Mark II's.
THERE IS THREE MANUALS PRINTED I have all some time it pays to have all different changes make it hard to service or get parts I found most buses in city service are not all the same in parts tourist one have different gearboxes so better to obtain ZF manual with all types
Guy Arab
Hi Guy Arab,
I was hoping to get a manual for a 1979 Merc O305. Are you able to help?
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

yes I can provide two manuals service and gearbox
contact me on tram1one@bigpond.com
Guy Arab

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”